The CBJ fan experience 2021 (in-arena attendance and related discussion here)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Ok, I might be missing something, what is the question that there are “empty answers” for?

Are they charging people for this season already?

The thread is on page 2. I am currently post #26. You're smart. I think you can figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ok, I might be missing something, what is the question that there are “empty answers” for?

Are they charging people for this season already?
Season ticket renewals started before the shutdown and I am paid in full for my quarter season plan for this season. Obviously, back in March when the renewal period started nobody could predict what was going to happen. Now that we have a season but uncertainties if and when people will be allowed to go to games, I just have some uncertainties based on an email the team sent on how they are applying credit toward money paid for this season and next season. Even thought I'm fully paid for this season and frankly don't anticipate going to games this year, it seems like they want to start making me pay for next season's tickets when 100% of the money I've paid will in essence already go to next season. If I understand correctly and this is the case, then I will essentially be paying towards the 22-23 season already,

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I was wondering if Columbus will do the same thing the Browns did. The Browns waited until it was pretty close to the season to let us know their plan. They were waiting to see if they would be able to have fans at the game. Once they got word of what they were allowed to do, they sent the ticket holders an email about opting out for the season. You could keep your tickets, but were told that you wouldn't be guaranteed get your regular seats, and you wouldn't be guaranteed the full season, or any games at all, 2 of our seats would have been covered anyway so we wouldn't have even had a chance to get those. Any money that was left after the season from unused tickets would apply to next year. You could also opt out and apply the full amount to the next year, or you could get a full refund, and not lose your seats.

Reading what you guys are saying, it sounds like they really aren't telling you a plan, and are already starting to charge for the next season. That really kind of sucks.

As far as the Monsters go, we haven't heard a peep from them. We are paid for next (this) season. We were on a 2 year contract so they owe us a year, and if we decide to renew, our normal pay plan would have started this month. Haven't heard anything about how a renewal would work either. They basically owe us a full season. There hasn't been any word on how they plan to do this, and we really don't want to go until this is cleared up and things are back to normal. If they cover the first few rows like they do in football, our seats would be covered. It would be nice to know what a plan is, and it is disappointing to see that neither team is saying anything.

Reactions: koteka and Byrral

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was wondering if Columbus will do the same thing the Browns did. The Browns waited until it was pretty close to the season to let us know their plan. They were waiting to see if they would be able to have fans at the game. Once they got word of what they were allowed to do, they sent the ticket holders an email about opting out for the season. You could keep your tickets, but were told that you wouldn't be guaranteed get your regular seats, and you wouldn't be guaranteed the full season, or any games at all, 2 of our seats would have been covered anyway so we wouldn't have even had a chance to get those. Any money that was left after the season from unused tickets would apply to next year. You could also opt out and apply the full amount to the next year, or you could get a full refund, and not lose your seats.

Reading what you guys are saying, it sounds like they really aren't telling you a plan, and are already starting to charge for the next season. That really kind of sucks.

As far as the Monsters go, we haven't heard a peep from them. We are paid for next (this) season. We were on a 2 year contract so they owe us a year, and if we decide to renew, our normal pay plan would have started this month. Haven't heard anything about how a renewal would work either. They basically owe us a full season. There hasn't been any word on how they plan to do this, and we really don't want to go until this is cleared up and things are back to normal. If they cover the first few rows like they do in football, our seats would be covered. It would be nice to know what a plan is, and it is disappointing to see that neither team is saying anything.

There appears to be a plan, just not a very clearly explained one. 25% of what we have paid is automatically moved to the 21-22 season. Due to uncertainty if/when people will be allowed to attend, the remaining 75% is essentially being held hostage util the end of the season. If we are allowed to attend games this season, tickets will be taken out of that balance and anything leftover will automatically be applied to 21-22.

Where I'm confused is that I am paid in full for my balance and I don't have a payment plan right now. It "looks like" I can select my same payment plan I normally use, which is split up into 3 payments and paid by July. To me this sounds like I've got 25% moved over now, they will start charging me for "the 21-22 season" in March and then after the season ends they will move the balance over with a potential overpayment that will then go into the 22-23 season.

I think I get why they are doing it if I understand it correctly, I'm just not particularly happy about potentially paying money towards 22-23 so far in advance.

Reactions: CPTN71

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I see what you are saying. My best guess would be that they don't want to disrupt their payment schedules. So you may have to pick a plan for 21-22, and as this season progresses, each game you don't attend will get moved over to the 21-22 season. When they start billing for next season, they will probably send you an invoice showing you are paid up for that season. If you do go to games this year, that will be deducted from your balance, so by the end of the 21-22 seasons billing cycle you may owe for the amount of games you went to this season to even out the payment for next year. The 25% they already moved over accounts for the 13 home games that were cut from this year. It seems out of sorts because of the shortened season this year, but if you don't attend any games this year, your balance will cover if they have a full season in 21-22. Then in March of 2022 you will pick your plan for 22-23, and you will have a zero balance and start making payments for that season next March.
There appears to be a plan, just not a very clearly explained one. 25% of what we have paid is automatically moved to the 21-22 season. Due to uncertainty if/when people will be allowed to attend, the remaining 75% is essentially being held hostage util the end of the season. If we are allowed to attend games this season, tickets will be taken out of that balance and anything leftover will automatically be applied to 21-22.

Where I'm confused is that I am paid in full for my balance and I don't have a payment plan right now. It "looks like" I can select my same payment plan I normally use, which is split up into 3 payments and paid by July. To me this sounds like I've got 25% moved over now, they will start charging me for "the 21-22 season" in March and then after the season ends they will move the balance over with a potential overpayment that will then go into the 22-23 season.

I think I get why they are doing it if I understand it correctly, I'm just not particularly happy about potentially paying money towards 22-23 so far in advance.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Thought the email was confusing as well.

I think what I'd like to do is just roll 100% over to the next season.

Then, pay out of pocket for any games that come available this season -- since I'm guessing it would only be a handful at best.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Thought the email was confusing as well.

I think what I'd like to do is just roll 100% over to the next season.

Then, pay out of pocket for any games that come available this season -- since I'm guessing it would only be a handful at best.
That is what the Crew did with my season tickets except We had to pay additional for the new pricing in the new stadium. The only game I attended was the home opener right before everything shut down. I didn't even bother to try to go to anything after that.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Slightly off topic but TBL are doing 3900 fans each game, they really botched how they were distributed by a friends account...she had full sth, ended up with 4 whole games all in upper bowl after being right behind the bench

My advice is find some patience bc it will be tough to figure out how to make it work when you are allowed in

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Slightly off topic but TBL are doing 3900 fans each game, they really botched how they were distributed by a friends account...she had full sth, ended up with 4 whole games all in upper bowl after being right behind the bench

My advice is find some patience bc it will be tough to figure out how to make it work when you are allowed in
Damn. That’s no bueno.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Not to be Mr. Doom and gloom but here's my concern (and perhaps some ignorance mixed in)...

What if CBJ and/or the NHL file bankruptcy. ???

Sure they would upset a bunch of fans by keeping their ticket money but it would be a prime time to fold up shop in Columbus all together and watch another city sell 18000 season tickets over night.

I love my seats and want to keep them but I don't like that they have 10k of my money and are admitting to be in a tough financial spot...

I'd feel better losing my seats but having all of my money back.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Not to be Mr. Doom and gloom but here's my concern (and perhaps some ignorance mixed in)...

What if CBJ and/or the NHL file bankruptcy. ???

Sure they would upset a bunch of fans by keeping their ticket money but it would be a prime time to fold up shop in Columbus all together and watch another city sell 18000 season tickets over night.

I love my seats and want to keep them but I don't like that they have 10k of my money and are admitting to be in a tough financial spot...

I'd feel better losing my seats but having all of my money back.

I share your concern but I’ve been accused of overreacting on here bring up the CBJ’s finances. Like or not it’s something to keep in mind. McConnell doesn’t have the deep pockets of other owners and I’m sure he hates not bringing in any revenue right now from this club that he inherited. Then you have the whispers about Nationwide Arena falling apart with no money to make repairs and you’d have to be oblivious to not be somewhat concerned.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I was looking at Panthers tickets on TickPick and they’re selling $40 tickets to lower bowl corners. Damn, if I was there I’d probably be going to every game

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Do I understand it right that the Cavaliers have limited attendance ? Why in the world do the Jackets not have any?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Do I understand it right that the Cavaliers have limited attendance ? Why in the world do the Jackets not have any?
The Monsters contacted us and said they are going to let in 2000 fans. The first four rows will be empty. We have glass seats and were told we would be in the fifth row. We opted out for this year and hopefully next season will be better. The Cavs had 1900+ yesterday.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The Monsters contacted us and said they are going to let in 2000 fans. The first four rows will be empty. We have glass seats and were told we would be in the fifth row. We opted out for this year and hopefully next season will be better. The Cavs had 1900+ yesterday.
1900 out of 2000 or more ?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
1900 out of 2000 or more ?
I don't know what the Cavs limit is. It was 300 when the season started. I think it is now 15 percent of capacity, which I believe is about 3000, but I am not sure of that. I think there are a lot of people like us that want to give it more time before going back, hoping by next season it is a little closer to normal.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
from the Dispatch website today:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/2021/01/13/blue-jackets-seek-state-approval-host-fans-nationwide-arena/6636175002/

The Dispatch has confirmed that the Blue Jackets have applied with state health officials for approval to host a limited number of fans this season at Nationwide Arena — similar to what the Ohio Department of Health has approved for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The application process will include the Franklin County Health Department and does not include a set timetable for a decision, despite NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly telling reporters Monday that fans in the Columbus and Pittsburgh markets might “soon” be able to attend games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad