The Caps with two 1C's now

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I've been following the Caps closely since the season started and I mustsay that with Kuznetsov's huge improvement the Caps now have two number 1 centers. I don't even know which one is better with the way Kuznetsov is playing right now : in the Caps vs. Canes games he was probably the best player out there but failed to record a point. And he's got 5 in 5 games nonetheless.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Backstrom is still the backbone at center imo. Wait until Kuznetsova goes into a bit of a slump and watch Backstrom takeover

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
once Kuzy scores on a wrap-around after a goalie sits on the post to be ready for the no look pass...then we'll know he's arrived.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Kuz broke out last year in the playoffs. Big game player.

Goes to show the importance of making the right Draft choice and letting them develop. Caps have been successful at producing talent.

Last edited:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It was evident in the playoffs last year that he was on the cusp of breaking out.

This might bet the most well-rounded team the Caps have iced in Ovi's career IMO, even compared to the high-octane team that won the Presidents Trophy.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Backstrom is clearly the better player and he is feasting while Ovechkin/Kuz/Oshie occupy other team's best defenders, but yeah I agree Kuznetsov is making a strong case for being regarded as a legit 1C. He seems to have good chemistry with Ovechkin, Oshie, Burakovsky and Mojo. :yo:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
It was evident in the playoffs last year that he was on the cusp of breaking out.

This might bet the most well-rounded team the Caps have iced in Ovi's career IMO, even compared to the high-octane team that won the Presidents Trophy.
Absolutely it is. Go back and look at that abysmal defense and get back to me.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Absolutely it is. Go back and look at that abysmal defense and get back to me.

Oh I remember that defense... and the fact that Jeff Schultz somehow led the league in +/- . Those teams were paper tigers, and while Ovi brought it in the playoffs every year, the defense was exposed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've been following the Caps closely since the season started and I mustsay that with Kuznetsov's huge improvement the Caps now have two number 1 centers. I don't even know which one is better with the way Kuznetsov is playing right now : in the Caps vs. Canes games he was probably the best player out there but failed to record a point. And he's got 5 in 5 games nonetheless.

I understand the excitement with Kuznetsov but there is no competition. Backstrom is a better and far more complete player. Its great to have them both but if you asked the Capitals coaching, scouting and front office staff which they would keep if they could only have one, they would choose 19.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
What he/she meant by taking over is Backstrom being back between Ovi and Oshie. For now, 8-92-77 is working extremely well. I wouldn't go as far as calling Kuz a #1C but him and Backstrom form a great 1-2 punch.

I don't even know if they put Backstrom back there

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Little early to call him a #1C. He has a good chance to really establish himself as a good #2C though this season. Caps definitely have a good team this year.

Cyclops

Jul 3, 2014
If Kuzy continues to produce on the top line you gotta keep him there. Backstrom is with out a doubt better player but hes a better all around player with out Ovi. When he plays with him he seems to only try to set up him up. He passes up great opportunities to shoot for a fancy pass. Away from Ovi and Nicky rips far more often.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
#1C is a pretty big title, I wouldn't say Kuzya is there yet.
But he will.
Still can't believe he was taken 26th at the draft.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If Kuzy continues to produce on the top line you gotta keep him there. Backstrom is with out a doubt better player but hes a better all around player with out Ovi. When he plays with him he seems to only try to set up him up. He passes up great opportunities to shoot for a fancy pass. Away from Ovi and Nicky rips far more often.

Came here to post this. The Caps are a better team when Nicky is separated from Ovie and forced to shoot more. My one complaint about him is that he defers to Ovie too much.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Came here to post this. The Caps are a better team when Nicky is separated from Ovie and forced to shoot more. My one complaint about him is that he defers to Ovie too much.

I even see Oshie looking for #8 a lot, but Kuzy doesn't, which is great.

Oshie has been remarkable hounding the puck and making the small and underrated plays. They wanted a RW who can also score near the net, but they got a lot more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad