Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
From everything we've seen about Swayman, it certainly seems that he has the makings of a star goalie in this league.

In that case then back up the Brinks truck, and cap dump someone else to make it work.

The challenge is, to win with him at $8-9m, is probably going to take 2-3 years for the cap to come up and for him to establish himself as a #1.

If he's not established as a #1, then even a rebuilding team isn't going to trade good assets and put up huge money for him. Not when some of them already have promising young goalies at a fraction of the cost, or highly regarded prospects who are likely to break into the league in 2-3 years as it is.

Those 2-3 years are not what Boston is really looking at in terms of a contention window. They want to, and need to win now.

We're not talking about a promising 19 year old prospect who needs a few more years to hone his game. He'll be 26 in about a month. He should be helping you win now if he's the real deal.

It's perfectly valid for you to argue he's not worth 8-9m. If I believed he were good but not great, I'd also not want to pony up. But then don't try to sell him as "he'll be a star goalie in the future." Those teams would still be overpaying him for the next few years, and giving up quality assets for the privilege? That's not gonna accelerate anyone's rebuild.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
To be fair in this example, both sides of the argument are that he isn't playing with the Oilers (not signed or LTIR'd), so isn't that the same thing?
The posts I was responding to argued that Carey Price's contract was bad because he got hurt and missed multiple seasons. My point is you can't judge a contract based on whether someone gets hurt. You can think the contract is good value or poor value, but injuries that happen after the fact are irrelevant. This is especially true when LTIR is available for cap relief and insurance can mitigate the financial risk.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Before the season starts the Bruins will sign Swayman to a three year, 24 million dollar deal.
Something like this seems most likely.

8x8 just doesn't seem like it is enough and boston and co don't want to pay him like a star goalie when they haven't given him the chance.

So do something short.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The posts I was responding to argued that Carey Price's contract was bad because he got hurt and missed multiple seasons. My point is you can't judge a contract based on whether someone gets hurt. You can think the contract is good value or poor value, but injuries that happen after the fact are irrelevant. This is especially true when LTIR is available for cap relief and insurance can mitigate the financial risk.
Absolute truth, brother. Thank you for the reply!

Reactions: CannonFire1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad