Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That’s the truth. At least with a forward or D-man you can adjust their usage and role up and down the line-up if they’re not living up to their contract. You can find ways around an underperforming bloated salary. With a goalie you can’t. You can’t just keep them as a starter if they’re bad and not really as a backup either. They’re just dead weight.
Right. Once they start getting starter level money they either gotta be good enough to earn it or they aren't even worth having around. You can't just slot them at back up and suddenly its all better, they just aren't worth any of it really.

I think guys should get their money when given the opportunity, but the key to that is you can't force it, and for me anyways that's what it feels like Swayman is trying to do, or at least his agent is anyways.

I get he wants to get paid, but this feels like the scenario that bridge deals were made for. Player hasn't put himself in position yet to get that big pay day, but he's shown enough to not be making bottom of the barrel either.

As a player you can't just let management dictate everything and you need to protect your own long term interests, but at the same time you need to be realistic about where things are. That one aspect is the main thing I put on Swayman, he's putting the cart before the horse and expecting Shesterkin level money without doing that level of work yet.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
how funny would it be if Boston trades him and he signs for less than 8x8. wonder if it's just Boston he wants to get away from. like if your not happy there, WHY would u wanna sign for 8 years? arbitration may have realllllllly screwed up their relationship.

remember, some words can't be put back in the box, once they are out there, there's no going back. Boston very well may have pissed him off that much.

So we’re using 12% of our team cap hit on price or not? The answer is no :laugh: . it being tricky to manage the LTIR is not close to the same thing
Dont teams ahve to be under the cap before the season starts to LTIR? or go through some hoops to do so?
also he's not retired, just too hurt to play he's basically retired. fairly certain if he retires his contract comes off the books with some sort of a penalty.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Right. Once they start getting starter level money they either gotta be good enough to earn it or they aren't even worth having around. You can't just slot them at back up and suddenly its all better, they just aren't worth any of it really.

I think guys should get their money when given the opportunity, but the key to that is you can't force it, and for me anyways that's what it feels like Swayman is trying to do, or at least his agent is anyways.

I get he wants to get paid, but this feels like the scenario that bridge deals were made for. Player hasn't put himself in position yet to get that big pay day, but he's shown enough to not be making bottom of the barrel either.

As a player you can't just let management dictate everything and you need to protect your own long term interests, but at the same time you need to be realistic about where things are. That one aspect is the main thing I put on Swayman, he's putting the cart before the horse and expecting Shesterkin level money without doing that level of work yet.
The bridge deal makes all the sense in the world and my guess is the Bruins would be fine with it. It seems though that the ball is entirely in Sway's court, and he's letting emotion and animosity cloud his ability to compromise. If he's THAT hurt about the arbitration process last year and the team "only" offering him 8 a year then it makes no sense why he even wants to be there still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad