Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Doesn’t sound like that’s what they’re asking for. Boston can fit 9.5M under the cap this year with minimal roster moves. His agent should be fighting as hard as possible for that number.

Also the agent who has secured Nylander over $130 million in projected career earnings.
Personally then i don’t want a player who has no problem handcuffing his team where they can’t make improvements in season because his agent tried to milk every cent of their available cap.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Doesn’t sound like that’s what they’re asking for. Boston can fit 9.5M under the cap this year with minimal roster moves. His agent should be fighting as hard as possible for that number.

Why aren't they asking for that? It's stupid not to ask for every penny isn't it?

I'm gonna speed this up because I don't feel like being here all night. The reason they're not asking for 13M to get every penny is because there's a line where it doesn't make sense to ask for, or hold out for, more money, because the player isn't worth it. That line is below what Swayman's camp is asking for.

The Bruins have already come up from 6.5M to 7.8M, which is still arguably more than Swayman is worth. Time for Swayman's camp to come down and sign the contract so he can start playing hockey.

Just because Boston can fit X number under the cap without making moves, doesn't mean they should give it to him, certainly doesn't mean he's worth it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why aren't they asking for that? It's stupid not to ask for every penny isn't it?

I'm gonna speed this up because I don't feel like being here all night. The reason they're not asking for 13M to get every penny is because there's a line where it doesn't make sense to ask for, or hold out for, more money, because the player isn't worth it. That line is below what Swayman's camp is asking for.

The Bruins have already come up from 6.5M to 7.8M, which is still arguably more than Swayman is worth. Time for Swayman's camp to come down and sign the contract so he can start playing hockey.

Just because Boston can fit X number under the cap without making moves, doesn't mean they should give it to him, certainly doesn't mean he's worth it.
Because the Bruins wouldn't be able to fit 13M under the cap for this season. They can fit up to 9.5M pretty easily.

If Boston wanted to pay Swayman "what he's worth" they could have taken him to arbitration and had a neutral third party determine that.

They failed to do that, traded their other starting goalie and now Swayman and his agent have them over a barrel. Swayman is "worth" whatever he can get.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

At this point they've fought a bit too hard. We are almost through pre-season here. I think most people feel 8x8 is an excellent contract for Swayman. 9.5 is getting absurd.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because the Bruins wouldn't be able to fit 13M under the cap for this season. They can fit up to 9.5M pretty easily.

This is irrelevant

Swayman clearly doesn't have the Bruins "over a barrel" because if he did they'd have given him what his agent is asking for

I think it's pretty clear that what's actually happening here is that Swayman's agent overplayed his hand and is currently finding out that they don't have all the leverage in this situation

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think asset wise Swayman was the right choice, but I firmly believe that Lewis Gross screwed over the Bruins in revenge for the Krug negotiations breaking down. 90% sure that Swayman's team indicated to Sweeney that they were in the same ballpark for numbers and would be an easy sign, assuring them that they could make the Ullmark trade, and then when they traded Linus, Gross comes back and and jacks up his asking number now that they have the leverage of Boston not having the other #1 goalie.
I don’t think that’s what he did, I think he’s just plainly a very greedy agent

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is irrelevant
Of course it's relevant. Agents use cap space as leverage in negotiations all the time. Everyone knows exactly how much the Bruins can afford to pay Swayman this season without undergoing major roster surgery. His agent's job is to get him as much of that money as possible.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Of course it's relevant. Agents use cap space as leverage in negotiations all the time. Everyone knows exactly how much the Bruins can afford to pay Swayman this season without undergoing major roster surgery. His agent's job is to get him as much of that money as possible.

Then why isn't he asking for all 9.5M?

I already explained why. Because there's a line that doesn't make sense to hold out beyond. They're at that line. Sign the contract.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Then why isn't he asking for all 9.5M?

I already explained why. Because there's a line that doesn't make sense to hold out beyond. They're at that line. Sign the contract.
They did ask for all 9.5M. The 32 Thoughts report claimed Swayman's initial ask was Charlie McAvoy's contract (8x9.5).

It's not holding out when you don't have a contract. Continued negotiations also cuts both ways. The longer Swayman is unsigned, the longer Boston is trotting out Joonas Korpisalo and Brandon Bussi in net trying to make the playoffs in a hyper-competitive division.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They did ask for all 9.5M. The 32 Thoughts report claimed Swayman's initial ask was Charlie McAvoy's contract (8x9.5).

It's not holding out when you don't have a contract. Continued negotiations also cuts both ways. The longer Swayman is unsigned, the longer Boston is trotting out Joonas Korpisalo and Brandon Bussi in net trying to make the playoffs in a hyper-competitive division.

That's what holding out is. They are holding out for more money. They're about to start losing money because of it.

Reactions: Bodit9

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At this point they've fought a bit too hard. We are almost through pre-season here. I think most people feel 8x8 is an excellent contract for Swayman. 9.5 is getting absurd.
Doesn’t it really matter what “people” think is a fair number for Swayman? He’s got two years until UFA. He’s the Bruins most important player. He’s a brilliant goalie.
He’s worth 8 now and 10-11 for his UFA years. So 80 million is fair.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That's what holding out is. They are holding out for more money. They're about to start losing money because of it.
Holding out means withholding services. You can't withhold services from an entity you have no contractual obligations toward.

Before the salary cap, players under contract used to legitimately hold out, refusing to report due to a trade request or some other reason. That doesn't really happen anymore.

I feel like people are overlooking the fact that Swayman is 25. An 8 year deal buys his entire prime. This isn't a Hellebuyck situation where the Jets are paying for his decline years.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Holding out means withholding services. You can't withhold services from an entity you have no contractual obligations toward.

Before the salary cap players under contract would legitimately hold out, refusing to report due to a trade request or some other reason. That doesn't really happen anymore.

I feel like people are overlooking the fact that Swayman is 25. An 8 year deal buys his entire prime. This isn't a Hellebuyck situation where the Jets are paying for his decline years.

I like that you've resorted to the part where you're just being pedantic now instead of making intelligent points about the topic

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
He's the dumbest person in the world if he doesn't sign tomorrow.

Every regular season game he misses is close to $100,000 lost.

Doesnt take much time at that rate to lose a lot of salary while defaming yourself and losing valuable games played.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's the dumbest person in the world if he doesn't sign tomorrow.

Every regular season game he misses is close to $100,000 lost.

Doesnt take much time at that rate to lose a lot of salary while defaming yourself and losing valuable games played.
Even if Swayman misses every game through Dec 1 it's still worth it to him as long as he gets the Bruins to improve their offer by more than ~$2.5M in total dollars over the life of the contract.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Every single former player says they are on swyamans side in him going after his money

Yet they all agree that 8x8 is insanely generous for what he deserves

Reactions: JAD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad