Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I always find this comparison a bit weird. 20k for your buddies probably makes a pretty big difference, but these star athletes are signing contracts that will easily set them for life even if they leave some on the table.

That said I'm team Swayman in this. Neely is an idiot.

we're talking over a million dollars here, the comparison is simply to show that we're all human and we all deserve to get what we're worth, you are free to take less than you are worth but you cannot begrudge those who do not take less.

I'm on team cap is stupid and bad

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Then you start getting into a grey area and where does that grey area end?
I don’t think it’s a grey area. You just need to identify guys close to the mark and see if any significant time was missed. Not saying that there’s going to 20 of the all of a sudden, but maybe adds a few more.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Chris Johnston mentioned Swayman was asking for 9.5M

I can certainly see why he values himself that high, especially given his leverage. Likewise, I don't blame Boston for wanting no part of that number. At this point, I think the only resolution will come a month or two into the actual season. If Boston gets off to a hot start, it severely hurts Swayman's standing. On the flipside, if they struggle, he gets even more leverage over them.

What a mess.

Reactions: Linds and Helistin

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

All this over 8m total difference is crazy. If 8x8 is on the table, Swayman is being way too greedy

8x8 would make him the 5th most expensive goalie in the league if my calculations are correct in terms of AAV.

Bobrovsky - 10M
Vasilevsky - 9.5M
Hellebuyck - 8.5M
Sorokin - 8.25M

Now the cap % obviously factors in for some of those older contracts, but still...

There's a big drop after Sorokin to Gibson at 6.4M.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
At the end of the day it's how much risk does either side want to take. For the Bruins if you make him prove himself and he does, then you'll play more in the long run. If he doesn't then you're not locked in for 8yrs. It comes down to how confident that Swayman will turn into the elite goalie he's trending towards.

I would argue it's in the Bruins best interest to get a lower cap hit over the next 4 years when all their key guys (sans Marchand) are under 30.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Servalli is batting terrible numbers with his sources.

Friedman beats him pretty handidly

McAvoy is such a substantially better player than him and he wants that deal.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
The only risk is potential trade value, but I’d argue he’s killed his trade/signability value already. At this point he’ll end up playing up for a bottom of the league team and all these numbers he’s banking on will disappear. He may not be a system goalie, but in promise you his numbers he’s trying to cash in on now will plummet if he’s playing on a lesser team.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
The University of Maine business professors might want to release a letter letting potential students know that Swayman's business skills are not indicative of what is actually taught at Maine.

Swayman is hard to listen to. Snowflake with an exaggerated sense of self importance and inflated ego. Boston would be wise to cut bait regardless if Swayman decides to accept an already overgenerous offer.

Strikes me as a goalie who over time will demonstrate his mental fragility and will not be consistently great. He's had the best of circumstances thus far in his short career -- super supportive Vezina goalie teammate, awesome goalie coach, great team culture, awesome D, etc. I bet he crashes and burns when things aren't so perfectly set up for him. Sweeney goofed on this goalie situation and should run away from any deal with Swayman while he can.

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
Why don't the Bruins take him to UFA at a lower number so he can prove his value and then give him the big payday? It really feels like the Bruins were trying to lock him in at a low number because they have this artificial RFA leverage. Swayman isn't cooperating.

Reactions: G Backup

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just thinking back, who was the last Bruins goalie to put up bad numbers in Boston and their system?

Blaine Lacher?

2007-2008 Manny Fernandez played 4 games and didn't look good. Was injured and never recovered. so 14 years ago?

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The only risk is potential trade value, but I’d argue he’s killed his trade/signability value already. At this point he’ll end up playing up for a bottom of the league team and all these numbers he’s banking on will disappear. He may not be a system goalie, but in promise you his numbers he’s trying to cash in on now will plummet if he’s playing on a lesser team.
What if don't sign and Korpisalo injured mid season? Bruins lose cup chance for year

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Just thinking back, who was the last Bruins goalie to put up bad numbers in Boston and their system?

Blaine Lacher?

2007-2008 Manny Fernandez played 4 games and didn't look good. Was injured and never recovered. so 14 years ago?

The most recent I can find that played more than 20 games would be Raycroft with his lousy .879% in 30 games in 05-06(While Toivonen was at .914% in 20 games and Thomas at .917% in 38 games) . Such a brillant performance that one would be foolish not to rush and trade Tukka Rask for the opportunity of getting that guy.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
What if don't sign and Korpisalo injured mid season? Bruins lose cup chance for year
As a hard core bruins fan, I can comfortably say they’re not cup contenders this year. They still have holes in scoring depth that need to be addressed, and certainly won’t get any better by giving a half season goalie 9 million year. But who knows, lighting can strike, but the odds are they are still a piece or two away from serious consideration, IMO.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The most recent I can find that played more than 20 games would be Raycroft with his lousy .879% in 30 games in 05-06(While Toivonen was at .914% in 20 games and Thomas at .917% in 38 games) . Such a brillant performance that one would be foolish not to rush and trade Tukka Rask for the opportunity of getting that guy.
So 19 years and counting of goalies having terrific numbers in Boston. I don't know if I'd want to leave that system but that's me looking at how Bob prepares them for the system.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
In an alternate universe Jeremy Swayman is playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs and managed by Kyle Dubas...Swayman demands $9 aav X 8 seasons...Dubas lets out a hearty guffaw..."No Jeremy I will NOT pay you $9 X 8, but I WILL pay you $10 X 8 and you will like it"!

1727911542181.png

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The University of Maine business professors might want to release a letter letting potential students know that Swayman's business skills are not indicative of what is actually taught at Maine.

Swayman is hard to listen to. Snowflake with an exaggerated sense of self importance and inflated ego. Boston would be wise to cut bait regardless if Swayman decides to accept an already overgenerous offer.

Strikes me as a goalie who over time will demonstrate his mental fragility and will not be consistently great. He's had the best of circumstances thus far in his short career -- super supportive Vezina goalie teammate, awesome goalie coach, great team culture, awesome D, etc. I bet he crashes and burns when things aren't so perfectly set up for him. Sweeney goofed on this goalie situation and should run away from any deal with Swayman while he can.
This whole post reeks of you being in your feelings.

Reactions: Peen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad