Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Swayman needs to pull his head outta his azz and realize that he's not there yet in terms of salary demands...Had he played 50 plus games per season these past few seasons - then sure - demand what ya want, but he hasn't and he's also had Ullmark as his 1B.

$7.8 X 8 is generous at this stage of his young career...Too bad he and his agent don't get it.
If the Bruins want to use lack of games / not shouldering a heavier load as reasons for offering a lower amount, then they should be pursuing a bridge deal instead of expecting Swayman to sign away all of his peak earning years at that lower amount. If he signs for 8 years he won't get another shot at a big payday.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
If the Bruins want to use lack of games / not shouldering a heavier load as reasons for offering a lower amount, then they should be pursuing a bridge deal instead of expecting Swayman to sign away all of his peak earning years at that lower amount. If he signs for 8 years he won't get another shot at a big payday.
They supposedly did. It was Swayman who insisted on 8 years.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

The B's probably are pursuing a bridge deal; or at least, something less than 8 years.

As a a team in a current contention window, it doesn't make a ton of sense to pay Swayman $8m-$9m to get him for 8 years; if you could pay him $5-6m and get him for 5.

But, that's asking Swayman to leave a potentially massive amount of money on the table, and with goalies being voodoo, potentially not a risk that it's advisable to take.

Ultimately, Swayman is probably regarded right now as the 1 goalie that should be signed to an 8 year deal given his age and experience. The problem is, Boston kinda isn't really in the right position to be handing out an 8-year deal and pay for potential.

There's a reason a lot of these large unproven contracts (Sanderson, Slafkovsky, Guenther, Faber, etc.) are being signed by teams that aren't great.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's played a backup amount of games due to injuries, but each time he comes back from injury he plays himself into being the guy. This feels like when HF insisted Matthews wasn't a 70 point player because he had a 69 career high due to injuries but it was clear he was much better than the numbers.
This is trulybgrade A level homerism

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
It’s possible that where the player is in their career and where the team is in their win now mode just doesn’t match up. Which is fine and happens. Boston should have foreseen this and planed better. Especially if the spiciness of the arbitration process is true

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I would have thought Sorokin (8.25 AAV) would be a better comparable than Hellebyuck? Sorokin also had three seasons playing as starter for a strong defensive club though in the 50-60 game range opposed to Swayman platooning 40 games with a recent Vezina winner.

I can understand why Boston would be wary of overpaying him, though has Benn handled poorly.

For Swayman it’s his prerogative to hold out for max payout, I don’t buy the comment about not wanting to adversely set the market for future goaltenders though. If you are holding out to get paid, own it.

There is a risk that this drags to the season and Korpisalo performs well in lieu.

If I were Swayman I’d take the 8x8 and run with it.

Last edited:

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I've had many friends who have moved cities, provinces, states in order to make an extra 20k per year yet we're somehow surprised that these athletes don't want to take millions less than they feel they are worth because it's good for the team?

Get out of here with that stupidity, anyone can take less than they are worth but that doesn't give you the right to then judge someone who isn't as stupid as you are

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I've had many friends who have moved cities, provinces, states in order to make an extra 20k per year yet we're somehow surprised that these athletes don't want to take millions less than they feel they are worth because it's good for the team?

Get out of here with that stupidity, anyone can take less than they are worth but that doesn't give you the right to then judge someone who isn't as stupid as you are
I always find this comparison a bit weird. 20k for your buddies probably makes a pretty big difference, but these star athletes are signing contracts that will easily set them for life even if they leave some on the table.

That said I'm team Swayman in this. Neely is an idiot.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I always find this comparison a bit weird. 20k for your buddies probably makes a pretty big difference, but these star athletes are signing contracts that will easily set them for life even if they leave some on the table.

That said I'm team Swayman in this. Neely is an idiot.

Yeah regardless of what side you're on, this is a terrible comparison.

Going from 50k to 70k is substantial in terms of the luxuries you can afford compared to 7M vs 9M or whatever.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
That’s my point though. Neely would love it if other teams would just do the work and they can just decide whether or not they wanna sign or take the compensation.
I don’t think there’s a team in the league who would go above 8x8 if he was a free agent other than a complete rebuilder though to be fair. He hasn’t earned a bigger deal than the league’s elites playing as a 1a/b.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad