Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don’t know how but I hope he ends up on the leafs.

Leafs don't make sense. Woll was better than Swayman in the playoffs and their entire tandem is like 3M this season and 5M next season + they have Hildebeast knocking.

Makes 0 sense to pay a goalie 5+ more than Woll who hasn't proven he is any better than Woll.

• Haha
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Honestly? He should know this and if I were him I'd actually prefer to go shorter now, prove my worth and wait til Igor signs before asking for max term. Wanting to get his bag now is a bit of a red flag to me.
We don't know what he is holding out for. It might not be about money at all. The Bruins might be the ones insisting on 8 years and maybe he is saying only 2-3

As for signing for 2-3 years. there are a few reasons why thats a good idea. Not just getting a bigger deal later.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
We don't know what he is holding out for. It might not be about money at all. The Bruins might be the ones insisting on 8 years and maybe he is saying only 2-3

As for signing for 2-3 years. there are a few reasons why thats a good idea. Not just getting a bigger deal later.
Fwiw there’s some rumbling on Boston sports radio , b’s at 64 sway at 68. Take this with whatever condiments you prefer

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Neely is BEGGING teams to offer sheet him.
nobody is offer sheeting him and if they do and it’s under 9, Neely matches. If over, they take an insane amount of draft capital and flip it into a roster upgrade.

No teams just have 10m laying around and are willing to give up that many picks. Bad teams’ picks are high and good teams do t have the cap space or their net is set.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Leafs don't make sense. Woll was better than Swayman in the playoffs and their entire tandem is like 3M this season and 5M next season + they have Hildebeast knocking.

Makes 0 sense to pay a goalie 5+ more than Woll who hasn't proven he is any better than Woll.
Can you forward this message to his agent please and thanks?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly? He should know this and if I were him I'd actually prefer to go shorter now, prove my worth and wait til Igor signs before asking for max term. Wanting to get his bag now is a bit of a red flag to me.
Not every player is the same. Some guys want the security now so they can just focus on being the best they can be. Some guys will try to leverage it so they can get multiple pay days (Matthews probably being the most prominent example)

He might just not want to deal with the headache of coming back to the negotiating table (especially after this) rather than go the other route. Though economics say he'd probably be smart going short team depending on the amount of Brinks trucks the Rangers throw at Shesterkin.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I would be surprised to see Neely/Sweeney to cave in to Swayman's demands after all that's been said between the 2 parties and what was shared via social media.

The Bruins have a capable netminder in Korpisalo to start the season.
Yeah as a Bruins fan i feel like the only way this ends is with Swayman catching a plane out of town. It was tenious to start with but i feel like that "64 million reasons why" comment may have hurt some feelings.

Completely unneeded too. Neely/Sweeney are both dolts for letting it spill over into the media.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah as a Bruins fan i feel like the only way this ends is with Swayman catching a plane out of town. It was tenious to start with but i feel like that "64 million reasons why" comment may have hurt some feelings.

Completely unneeded too. Neely/Sweeney are both dolts for letting it spill over into the media.
Swayman needs to pull his head outta his azz and realize that he's not there yet in terms of salary demands...Had he played 50 plus games per season these past few seasons - then sure - demand what ya want, but he hasn't and he's also had Ullmark as his 1B.

$7.8 X 8 is generous at this stage of his young career...Too bad he and his agent don't get it.

Reactions: Score08

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Am I reading this correctly? Are you talking about Joseph Woll, the Leafs backup from last year who put up average numbers in the regular season, played just 2 games in the playoffs, and then left his team out to dry for Game 7 because of a minor injury that no one can explain?

That Joseph Woll?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
nobody is offer sheeting him and if they do and it’s under 9, Neely matches. If over, they take an insane amount of draft capital and flip it into a roster upgrade.

No teams just have 10m laying around and are willing to give up that many picks. Bad teams’ picks are high and good teams do t have the cap space or their net is set.
That’s my point though. Neely would love it if other teams would just do the work and they can just decide whether or not they wanna sign or take the compensation.

Reactions: FMichael

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Swayman needs to pull his head outta his azz and realize that he's not there yet in terms of salary demands...Had he played 50 plus games per season these past few seasons - then sure - demand what ya want, but he hasn't and he's also had Ullmark as his 1B.

$7.8 X 8 is generous at this stage of his young career...Too bad he and his agent don't get it.
I don't disagree with this thought. My best guess is he'd come in under Hellebuyck's 8.5 x 8 since that's really the only remotely comparable contract in the goalie market recently. I figured 8 on the dot but 7.8 is close enough.

It's probably just a bad relationship at this point. The organization started it by taking his ass to arbitration over a measly 500k last summer and Sway probably feels slighted over that, and then Swayman kinda didn't help things by letting things leak which leads us to here today.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I don't disagree with this thought. My best guess is he'd come in under Hellebuyck's 8.5 x 8 since that's really the only remotely comparable contract in the goalie market recently. I figured 8 on the dot but 7.8 is close enough.

It's probably just a bad relationship at this point. The organization started it by taking his ass to arbitration over a measly 500k last summer and Sway probably feels slighted over that, and then Swayman kinda didn't help things by letting things leak which leads us to here today.

I believe it was Swayman who took the Bruins to arbitration, not the other way around.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

I believe it was Swayman who took the Bruins to arbitration, not the other way around.
It's been rumored that Swayman is holding a grudge on that...While he has that right to hold out and demand what he feels is a fair deal - his reputation may likely get tarnished in the process.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Am I reading this correctly? Are you talking about Joseph Woll, the Leafs backup from last year who put up average numbers in the regular season, played just 2 games in the playoffs, and then left his team out to dry for Game 7 because of a minor injury that no one can explain?

That Joseph Woll?

Joe Woll the Leafs top goalie prospect and who has more than 2 playoff games with elite numbers yeah. Was up and down as a rookie in the regular season but he was not our backup, he just had a high ankle sprain take him out half the season

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Joe Woll the Leafs top goalie prospect and who has more than 2 playoff games with elite numbers yeah. Was up and down as a rookie in the regular season but he was not our backup, he just had a high ankle sprain take him out half the season

Prospect? He's 26 years old. Swayman, by comparison, is 25.

He was healthy in April but didn't start game 1 of the playoffs and only came in when the Leafs were in a 3-1 hole. I'd call that a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad