Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sena

Jul 3, 2024
No.

8 mil is not second line money these days.
That’s 1st line / top team forwards money.

There are 45 forwards signed at 8 millions per year and higher for the 2025-26 season.

That’s less than 2 forwards per team on average making that kind of money.

All the forwards who signed for $8M + were expected to be top 3 forwards on their teams.
thats mostly first contracts after ECL's or expiring contracts the cap has gone up, signing top line ufa's is going to be over 11 moving forward. The times are changed

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Agents/players, this is standard practice. They were likely going to hold out as long as possible to try to squeeze out the deal that they really wanted, and eventually sign. But then Neely inexplicably blinks first and now it's all hilariously f***ed.

Oh I agree Neely is an idiot but I think most people knew that.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Neely insinuated it was 64M (8x8), when we now know it was not
I mean it was quick rounding in someone's head looking at 8 years x 7.8m

It was 62.6m close enough. He wasn't lying just looking at the closest rounding for 8 and 7.8 that made sense. He was pissed and not about to do the math.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

zoA

Mar 23, 2010

It was 62.6m close enough. He wasn't lying just looking at the closest rounding for 8 and 7.8 that made sense. He was pissed and not about to do the math.

The closest rounding is 63m :)

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I read somewhere that when Nylander signed with the Leafs, Gross didn't negotiate at the all. Basically gave the Maple Leafs a number and didn't budge one bit. If that's the case, and if Swayman thinks he can command $9mill for barely half a season of work + some good playoff games... LOL. Dude is just not gonna play this season, and that will be it.

Maybe Lewis Gross should stop negotiating with the Bruins and start negotiating for the cheapest flight straight to Russia for his client since he might not be getting a penny this year from the Bruins or any NHL team.
Absurd take. Flights to Switzerland are far cheaper.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Sorokin signed last year. Given the cap went up, it's around 9.5m x 8 yrs now.

They both played around 140 NHL games when contract expired.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
So never really heard Neely talk as an employee of the Bruins. Honestly dont know how long hes been there but my immediate thought was what a moron. True as someone said above, Neely didnt say the actual number but Im sure the adults in the room for the Bruins thought SHUT THE F up. So the bruins have fumbled this everyway possible, some of it being out of their control and now at the eleventh hour their negotiation tactic is to make the star player they are trying to sign to a friendly deal look bad in the media. Sure Swayman wants more then he is worth based on performance but wouldnt be shocked if this pushes him in the opposite direction of what the bruins wanted. Either a trade request or not budging at all on the money he wants. As far as Cam goes, management should promote him to bruins publicity as thats what he is really there for. Business dealings does not seem to be his fit.
15 years as president.

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
The Boston and Swayman almost close to getting a deal done 8.5 for 8 years gg Bruins.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
A shorter term deal.

I dont see a benefit for him to go long term. I mean I get the security of the long term deal but going short term has more benefits for him.
Honestly? He should know this and if I were him I'd actually prefer to go shorter now, prove my worth and wait til Igor signs before asking for max term. Wanting to get his bag now is a bit of a red flag to me.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021

If you round up 7.8x8 to 64 in your head you shouldn't be in a position to negociate million dollar contracts LOL WHAT NONSENSE!

Reactions: AvroArrow

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If you round up 7.8x8 to 64 in your head you shouldn't be in a position to negociate million dollar contracts LOL WHAT NONSENSE!
Wouldn't say that. Just a guy hot headed in the moment making a quick rounding adjustment. It's .2m per year so it's within the realm of close enough for the sake of "we can't get this guy signed cuz we are millions apart"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad