Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When the cap reaches like 105 million which may be a lot sooner than people think as the revenue the league has is sky high already, 8 million against a 105 cap is 7.6% of the cap.

That would be like a 6 million dollar goalie before COVID happened (18-19 season, 7.6% of a 79.5 million cap is 6 million).

Is Swayman a 6 million dollar player? Probably yes I would say. It's not even like 105 is some kind of ceiling, the cap should be around $113 million when revenue increases past $7 billion.

You do kinda have to factor in the rising cap even though I know some people are loathe to do that and think player's should forever base their salaries against a cap of about 80 million.

Personally I would say pay the man 8x8 ... you may not like it for a year, but after that it will age fine. It's not even like the Bruins don't have the money, they can pay him that and still be under the cap for next season.

Dude has a save percentage of .914, .916, and .920 the last three years, there's not a lot of goalies that can say the same.

Reactions: cyris

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
When the cap reaches like 105 million which may be a lot sooner than people think as the revenue the league has is sky high already, 8 million against a 108 roof is 7.6% of the cap.

That would be like a 6 million dollar goalie before COVID happened (18-19 season, 7.6% of a 79.5 million cap is 6 million).

Is Swayman a 6 million dollar player? Probably yes I would say. It's not even like 105 is some kind of ceiling, the cap should be around $113 million when revenue increases past $7 billion.

You do kinda have to factor in the rising cap even though I know some people are loathe to do that and think player's should forever base their salaries against a cap of about 80 million.

Personally I would say pay the man 8x8 ... you may not like it for a year, but after that it will age fine.
That's the problem. Most of us would pay the man 8x8. The man has determined it's not worth playing hockey on a 8x8 deal though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's the problem. Most of us would pay the man 8x8. The man has determined it's not worth playing hockey on a 8x8 deal though.

Even at 8.5 ... I probably pay the guy. There's not many goalies with his save percentage in the last three years who is still relatively young (could get better).

8.5 with the way the cap is going to increase is going to be like only 6.3 or something on the old pre-COVID cap from just a few years ago.

The league revenues are sky high, it's not a projection, they're already there. I know it sucks paying a bit more than you want, but I don't think it's worth giving up on one of the best up and coming goalie's in the game.

Again that contract will very quickly be like a 6 million-ish range contract (relative to what the old cap was). Don't get so hung up on the number. You can kill yourself by overthinking these things.

You made the commitment to this guy already when you traded Ullmark, I just don't see the sense in bailing over a few 100k.

It sounds like there is some gray area on whether or not 8x8 was literally offered, like 60 or 62 is not 64, I think there needs to be clarity on if 64 (8x8) was tabled or not.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Pretty unprofessional to go public by Neely. But I can’t see why he would make this up. Gross responds quickly stating $64m ‘was never discussed’ let alone offered. Someone is lying, not sure where the grey area is here.
The bruins management has negotiated dozens of contracts and nothing close to this disaster has ever occurred. Fast forward to the one agent with a propensity for being a dbag and suddenly this all the bruins fault? Gross acting like a bratty 10 yr punk and doing huge disservice to his client. If sway was smart he’d dump this clown ASAP.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Gross played Neely like a fiddle, can't believe the latter went public with a #, that's wild. You know agents are gonna do/say all kinds of shit during a negotiation -- the time to clear the air is after the deal is signed. An organization shooting the first shot vis a vis public #s is hilarious.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The bruins management has negotiated dozens of contracts and nothing close to this disaster has ever occurred. Fast forward to the one agent with a propensity for being a dbag and suddenly this all the bruins fault? Gross acting like a bratty 10 yr punk and doing huge disservice to his client. If sway was smart he’d dump this clown ASAP.
I believe 100 percent with Cam that 64 million is on the table very fair deal. Agent is a idiot.

Gross played Neely like a fiddle, can't believe the latter went public with a #, that's wild. You know agents are gonna do/say all kinds of shit during a negotiation -- the time to clear the air is after the deal is signed. An organization shooting the first shot vis a vis public #s is hilarious.
Love the move by Cam shows the agent is a ahole for trying for 10 million. 8 million is a fair deal for sway.

Reactions: Score08

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like I'll just simplify it and put it like this.

For a moment pretend it's 18-19. COVID isn't a thing, you've never heard of it, life has reset to right before the pandemic happened.

The NHL salary cap is 79.5 million.

Would you pay this version of Jeremey Swayman 6-6.3 million circa 2019?

If the answer to that question is yes, then give the man his 8-8.25m per and just get it over with.

The large increases that are coming in the cap will quickly price down his contract to what used to be 6-6.3 mill.

Not worth losing one of the top 20-something goalies in the league over that. Let some people giggle that you overpaid, they likely don't understand where the cap is going, in 2 years or so, you'll be fine with the deal.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Like I'll just simplify it and put it this.

For a moment pretend it's 18-19. COVID isn't a thing, you've never heard of it, life has reset to right before the pandemic happened.

The NHL salary cap is 79.5 million.

Would you pay this version of Jeremey Swayman 6-6.3 million circa 2019?

If the answer to that question is yes, then give the man his 8-8.25m per and just get it over with.

The large increases that are coming in the cap will quickly price down his contract to what used to be 6-6.3 mill.

Not worth losing one of the top 20-something goalies in the league over that. Let some people giggle that you overpaid, they likely don't understand where the cap is going, in 2 years or so, you'll be fine with the deal.

Let him first play 60 games in a season and see if his stats hold up to being a top 20 goalie.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Let him first play 60 games in a season and see if his stats hold up to being a top 20 goalie.

Based on 3 straight seasons with a fair workload (30+ starts) and the lowest save percentage is .914 (which is very good by today's save percentage standards) I'm inclined to believe the guy would be worth about 6 million ish on a 79.5 million cap, which is where I think really a lot of people are mentally stuck on.

If you would pay him 6 million on a 79.5 million cap, give him 8-8.5 (obviously you would prefer 8 flat, I get it) and really just put the situation to bed. The cap is going to be well over 100 million soon the way NHL revenue is skyrocketing, unless there is like World War III or COVID pandemic 2.0 you're good.

I know it sucks in the short term to pay a little more than you wanted, but long term it's the correct play. 8 million is going to be very quickly what 6 million used to be ... that's a 33% increase, but the NHL revenue itself has grown 32% in the last 5 years (COVID years) alone and it's not going to stop going up either and that revenue rise is not yet priced into the cap properly, it won't be until the next CBA kicks in after 25-26 season.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
This is certainly a take lol.

Swayman has lost in the court of public opinion in Boston. Cam's public offer is widely regarded as a great deal, and it reflects poorly on Swayman that he is still asking for more. Gross is lying to help him regain some cred with fans so he isn't booed off the ice if he signs.

IMO, great move by Cam. Let's the player know there's a solid deal, let's the fans know they haven't been low balling, and puts the ball firmly in Swayman's court to make the decision on if he'll sign or if they should trade him and move on so this circus doesn't distract once the season starts. The team's clearly tired of Gross' bullshit and is taking steps to end it on their terms.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is certainly a take lol.

Swayman has lost in the court of public opinion in Boston. Cam's public offer is widely regarded as a great deal, and it reflects poorly on Swayman that he is still asking for more. Gross is lying to help him regain some cred with fans so he isn't booed off the ice if he signs.

IMO, great move by Cam. Let's the player know there's a solid deal, let's the fans know they haven't been low balling, and puts the ball firmly in Swayman's court to make the decision on if he'll sign or if they should trade him and move on so this circus doesn't distract once the season starts. The team's clearly tired of Gross' bullshit and is taking steps to end it on their terms.

Players shouldn't be booed for asking for what isn't unreasonable amounts. 8, even 8.5 is not as unreasonable as people are making it out to be. You have to factor in what the cap is going to be going forward.

If you would have be A-OK paying a player of his caliber 6-6.5 million a few years ago when the cap was 79.5, just pay the man his 8-8.5. You're getting bogged by optics, the cap will rise quickly and basically by percentage wise that 8-8.5 is going to be what 6-6.5 used to be.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Even at 8.5 ... I probably pay the guy. There's not many goalies with his save percentage in the last three years who is still relatively young (could get better).

8.5 with the way the cap is going to increase is going to be like only 6.3 or something on the old pre-COVID cap from just a few years ago.

The league revenues are sky high, it's not a projection, they're already there. I know it sucks paying a bit more than you want, but I don't think it's worth giving up on one of the best up and coming goalie's in the game.

Again that contract will very quickly be like a 6 million-ish range contract (relative to what the old cap was). Don't get so hung up on the number. You can kill yourself by overthinking these things.

You made the commitment to this guy already when you traded Ullmark, I just don't see the sense in bailing over a few 100k.

It sounds like there is some gray area on whether or not 8x8 was literally offered, like 60 or 62 is not 64, I think there needs to be clarity on if 64 (8x8) was tabled or not.

and there is not many goalies getting paid that much with only half a season average of games played.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Dude has a save percentage of .914, .916, and .920 the last three years, there's not a lot of goalies that can say the same.
Friggin Halak had a save PCT of .922 and .919 in the two seasons in Boston he played in 30 or more games. Was .908 the year before he went to Boston and .903 the season after he left. Korpisalo will see his numbers jump big time as well in Boston. Swayman is not as special as he thinks he is.

Reactions: McHelpus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and there is not many goalies getting paid that much with only half a season average of games played.

I mean ultimately again you just have to ask yourself. Pretend for a moment the cap is only 79.5.

Would you pay Jeremey Swayman 6-6.5 million. I think most people would answer yes to that.

If that's a reasonable deal, then ultimately 8, even 8.5 is going to age as a reasonable deal.

NHL revenue is 32% higher than where it was just before COVID a few years ago, that's a monstrous increase even if you subtract Seattle being added to the mix in that time. That increase is not properly priced into the current salary cap, it will be most likely once the current CBA expires (summer 2026).

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Does everyone kiss and make up if he signs a 9 * 7?

8.87 by 8?
honestly it was one thing when it was negotiations but if the offer that neely said publicly wasnt offered then i can see that really pissing off swayman or pretty much any player

maybe he takes a 2 year deal to ufa but i can see a trade demand potentially coming now

up until this point it was a standard holdout for money

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Friggin Halak had a save PCT of .922 and .919 in the two seasons in Boston he played in 30 or more games. Was .908 the year before he went to Boston and .903 the season after he left. Korpisalo will see his numbers jump big time as well in Boston. Swayman is not as special as he thinks he is.

Very different era though, look at the last three years, how many goalies have a save percentage that doesn't dip below .914 ... not that many. How many of those guys also aren't ancient 30-somethings.

I'm not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'd say he's easily a 6+ million goalie against the old cap (79.5 million). If he's worth that, then really it's just people getting hung up on optics that 8-8.5 is too much more. You have to factor in the cap is going to rise a lot beneath, not by wishful thinking, by proven revenue. The NHL revenue is skyrocketing, that's not priced into the cap yet.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I wasn't talking about Swayman's alleged offer of 8x8. I was talking about all of those supposed team friendly deals that Bruins players take for the good of the team. Maybe they didn't take team friendly deals, but maybe it was that was all the Bruins would offer or threaten to trade them to San Jose.
Perhaps. Some players actually do take team friendly deals because they like the team and they like where they are. San Jose notoriously got team friendly deals done with player.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Perhaps. Some players actually do take team friendly deals because they like the team and they like where they are. San Jose notoriously got team friendly deals done with player.
I'd probably rather earn 7m/yr in San Jose than 8m/yr in any NHL cities that experience winter except New York

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
8 mil is second line money these days, he is right about the goalies being way underpaid
No.

8 mil is not second line money these days.
That’s 1st line / top team forwards money.

There are 45 forwards signed at 8 millions per year and higher for the 2025-26 season.

That’s less than 2 forwards per team on average making that kind of money.

All the forwards who signed for $8M + were expected to be top 3 forwards on their teams.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You know who can? The dude he once played with making less than half of what Swayman is demanding.

I'd probably rather earn 7m/yr in San Jose than 8m/yr in any NHL cities that experience winter except New York
Once you factor in the cali taxes you wouldn’t.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You know who can? The dude he once played with making less than half of what Swayman is demanding.

Once you factor in the cali taxes you wouldn’t.

Swayman also had a very, very strong .933 save percentage in the playoffs last year. .933 is higher than even Shesterkin's playoffs. Sure save percentage may tell 100% of the story but still that's impressive. I'm not a Bruins fan, but I'd be tap dancing down the street with a goalie putting up .923 in the playoffs, let alone .933! Ullmark was a horrible .896 and .886 the last two years in Boston in the post-season.

Like I said, you really want to f*** this relationship up over a few hundred k? Especially when the cap is going to rise a lot?

Sure you can play the hindsight game now and say in hindsight you should have kept Ullmark and traded Swayman, but that ship sailed months ago.

I'm not really all that invested in anything that happens in the Eastern Conference to be honest, but I think Boston would be making a mistake if they mismanage this to the point where the guy is traded or something.

He's a good player, the point of having salary cap is not to hoarde it, the point is you should be lucky enough that you have good players in the first place to spend it on. I think that totally gets lost in discussions like this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad