Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Clearly you have not seen korpisalo. If Boston is forced to rely on the Korpisalo that was in Ottawa last year for say 50 games, you're looking at possibly as much as a 50 goal differential in those 50 games. Between the two guys you had stopping way more than average goaltending and Korpisalo giving up way more than average, stats say that is roughly what you're looking at. And ya that alone might cook Boston's chances.
Korpisalo is built to play in Boston’s zone system. They’re not too concerned. There’s a much greater chance that Ullmark lays an egg in Ottawa. It’s much easier hugging your post in Boston than having to make w high quality saves in Ottawa. He’s gonna have to earn not only his contract this year, but if he lays an egg in Ottawa, good luck getting a big contract next year.

Swayman was the goalie they wanted to keep because when the Bruins D did break down, he stepped up to make more quality saves than Ullmark. More timely saves. Neither has really ever stood on their head though.

They can send Swayman to Utah for a nice piece along with Vejmelka, and likely have the same quality of goaltending this season. The thing is? They know it too.

The Bruins aren’t gonna panic here. They can even send Detroit a 3rd round pick for Husso and make sure their ok in net. They hold all the cards in this negotiation because they know their system inflates goalie stats.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
And he'll likely have a similar roster of clients after this.

Maybe. But maybe Nealy wasn't honest either. Usually when people negotiate through the media, they are spinning it to their favor.

BTW...I know nothing about Gross, so he could be a POS. I just know that teams usually try to take full advantage of players and fans turn on players when they use the little leverage they have (as RFAs)
It just seems as if almost every decent gross-represented players has gone through this. It’s like a staple of him. Nylander, Sandin etc.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Korpisalo is built to play in Boston’s zone system. They’re not too concerned. There’s a much greater chance that Ullmark lays an egg in Ottawa. It’s much easier hugging your post in Boston than having to make w high quality saves in Ottawa. He’s gonna have to earn not only his contract this year, but if he lays an egg in Ottawa, good luck getting a big contract next year.

Swayman was the goalie they wanted to keep because when the Bruins D did break down, he stepped up to make more quality saves than Ullmark. More timely saves. Neither has really ever stood on their head though.

They can send Swayman to Utah for a nice piece along with Vejmelka, and likely have the same quality of goaltending this season. The thing is? They know it too.

The Bruins aren’t gonna panic here. They can even send Detroit a 3rd round pick for Husso and make sure their ok in net. They hold all the cards in this negotiation because they know their system inflates goalie stats.
I agree that Korpi should be good here.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Gross works for Swayman. He’s not off the reservation making shit up. I’d be extremely surprised if he didn’t clear going public with his client. I’m in agreement that it was more of a “we will go to 64 and that’s it”.

However, say he is posturing and $64M is on the table. Means relationship is very strained, because Swayman approved him basically publicly lying in retort.

But regardless of who is right or wrong — I think this is a blunder on the Bs airing out the dirty laundry to media. And I’m not necessarily in disagreement they shouldn’t go materially above 8x8. Just think it made little sense to the team to initiate this going public.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
I mean he clearly felt some type of way about arbitration. Agents are agents and their boss is the player. If Swayman wanted to sign it would be.

Now I get the part about trusting the wrong people but the player is in charge. I actually think Swayman is asking for too much, but I also think the Bruins misplayed this whole thing too.
Sure, at the end of the day Gross works for Swayman but these agents can be vampire-like soul suckers. Many of them are former lawyers and plenty of agents whisper in the ears of their agents, like this whole saintly endeavor of "I won't ruin the market for goalies". Swayman acting like he's on some kind of holy journey or something in this contract negotiation LOL. Highly doubtful that idea came from Swayman. Ironically, the way Swayman and his agent have handled this might actually be more damaging to the goaltender market.

But really Gross is the one that's been leaking and doing negotiation through the Spittin Chiclets podcast for weeks/months now. I laughed when people said Biz has "sources" on this matter... yes he does, the agent himself. Who else?

Reactions: Bodit9

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

The unfortunate part is that the bad angle shots which should be easy saves are the goals Korpisalo gives up. He can’t hug a post (or a stop a floater from the blue line when there’s no traffic in front).

The miraculous, acrobatic saves when he’s left out to dry? He makes those.

Also just as an FYI, Ottawa gave up fewer high and medium danger chances against than Boston last year. Amazingly, they had a lower expected goals against than the Bruins!

Their problem was that too many goals went in on the “low danger” shots against. Usually in the first 2-3 minutes of the game…

According to Moneypuck, the Bruins goalies made 34 saves that they should have been goals, and the Senators goalies let in 26 goals that should have been saves.

A 60 goal swing because of goaltending. #themoreyouknow

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The unfortunate part is that the bad angle shots which should be easy saves are the goals Korpisalo gives up. He can’t hug a post (or a stop a floater from the blue line when there’s no traffic in front).

The miraculous, acrobatic saves when he’s left out to dry? He makes those.

Also just as an FYI, Ottawa gave up fewer high and medium danger chances against than Boston last year. Their problem was that too many goals went in on the “low danger” shots against. Usually in the first 2-3 minutes of the game…
We’re gonna see it play out, whether Swayman signs or not. I’d wager Korpisalo has a big year, like most goalies in Vegas and Boston…

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
We’re gonna see it play out, whether Swayman signs or not. I’d wager Korpisalo has a big year, like most goalies in Vegas and Boston…

There isn’t much of a sample size in Boston. They went from Rask to Ullmark and Swayman. With a little Halak mixed in as backup.

And Ullmark was good in Buffalo.

This might be the first time they have a “bad” goalie as the starter. So we will see, you’re right!

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Obviously one side is straight up lying in a very public fashion.

Don’t know how such unprofessionalism is a thing in the NHL but it’s pretty wild.

Will be interesting how this plays out

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Obviously one side is straight up lying in a very public fashion.

Don’t know how such unprofessionalism is a thing in the NHL but it’s pretty wild.

Will be interesting how this plays out

Based on previous events, it’s almost certainly Lewis Gross.

The offer was probably 63.75/8 years, Neely used a round number, and Gross is acting indignant. “It wasn’t 64 nuh uh!!”

His tactic is usually “get the public pressure on management” but after his leaks to Bissonette proved fruitless and the Bruins are actually firing back, he doesn’t have any cards left.

Reactions: Bodit9

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Swayman is gonna squeeze them for all they've got it seems. They have what, a little over 9m in cap? Im guessing he wants to eat all that up, probably end up around 8.7-8.9M x8. Still one more week left of haggling but he'll sign soon enough.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
So, maybe all of these previous Bruins players who took "team friendly deals" didn't do it because they wanted to help the team but maybe because it was all the Bruins offered. If so, what a trash organization.
Pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: Habby4Life

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Given on what he has done for other clients he's pretty much is. Look at Nylander sounds like he forced the issue himself and signed with the leafs than to miss the entire season. Even the late Johnny Hockey on his last contract with the flames seem to got tired of the waiting and told Gross (his agent) to sign it.

Once a RFA case goes to in front of an arbitrator, its limited to one 1 year deals (IIRC). Also keeping Ullmark means they can't re-sign Swayman cause they wouldn't have the cap space to do so.

Bruins had the option to take the arbitration deal for two years but opted for one so not sure where you get that's it limited to one year

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman has been awarded $3.475 million through arbitration on a contract for next season, the team announced. The ruling was handed down Tuesday after Swayman and the team had a hearing Sunday. The Bruins chose a one-year contract instead of two.Aug 1, 2023

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Swayman is gonna squeeze them for all they've got it seems. They have what, a little over 9m in cap? Im guessing he wants to eat all that up, probably end up around 8.7-8.9M x8. Still one more week left of haggling but he'll sign soon enough.
At what point does emotion start to cloud negotiations? Neeley and Sweeney going public the way they did surely must've soured Swayman, in addition to possibly being miffed about the way arbitration went last season.

The way this was handled, I'd be surprised if Swayman doesn't get traded.

Reactions: SENStastic

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So Neely and co. lied? Shocker that

Gross’s statement claims that, prior to the media conference, the Bruins never got to $64M. I think they were close, maybe around $60M-$62M. Swayman/Gross probably aren’t as annoyed about the number itself as they are about it being mentioned in the first place. I read what Neely said as this: “We’re going to 64 and no farther. That’s it.” We will see. David Pastrnak pushed the Bruins farther than they wanted to go, but he was unrestricted. Swayman saw that success, but he is restricted.

Friedman

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So, maybe all of these previous Bruins players who took "team friendly deals" didn't do it because they wanted to help the team but maybe because it was all the Bruins offered. If so, what a trash organization.
Pure speculation on my part.
If he turned down 8x8, that’s not exactly a “team friendly” deal.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
At what point does emotion start to cloud negotiations? Neeley and Sweeney going public the way they did surely must've soured Swayman, in addition to possibly being miffed about the way arbitration went last season.

I think it’s at that emotional point where things are clouded now.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
If he turned down 8x8, that’s not exactly a “team friendly” deal.
I wasn't talking about Swayman's alleged offer of 8x8. I was talking about all of those supposed team friendly deals that Bruins players take for the good of the team. Maybe they didn't take team friendly deals, but maybe it was that was all the Bruins would offer or threaten to trade them to San Jose.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

True, but getting 9M a year will heal all wounds. Bruins need to swallow the bitter pill and cough up the money, trading him hurts them way more than paying an extra 1M.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I wasn't talking about Swayman's alleged offer of 8x8. I was talking about all of those supposed team friendly deals that Bruins players take for the good of the team. Maybe they didn't take team friendly deals, but maybe it was that was all the Bruins would offer or threaten to trade them to San Jose.
What are all the team friendly deals? Bergeron most certainly would have been paid whatever he wanted if he pressed the issue. Marchand's deal started in 2017 and was no ridiculous bargain at the time. Pastrnak is getting $11+M. McAvoy $9+M per. Etc. I'm not seeing much evidence of what you allege. Swayman is being offered 8x8 which is very ballpark for his comps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad