Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the bruins can somehow be a strong team without swayman, I would tell him to sign in the KHL he isnt playing in the NHL until his rights by the bruins expire

If bruins stink, swayman has all the leverage and I wouldnt sign for less than 11-12M on a 1 or 2 year term to get rights to expire so I can get paid and then leave

The relation is ruined, one side needs to for the kill and put the other on blast

He's not getting 11-12m either no matter how boston's season goes....

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Lol when has a person in management publicly lied about current contract negotiations for a core player? What a bizarre situation

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Problem is you still don't know what you have. Prospects are nice, but until it translates on-ice then teams shouldn't be making those kinds of moves considering it would take a chunk out of the prospect pool I imagine.

Honestly, Utah's prospect pool I wouldn't be all that worried about. Logan Cooley, Barrett Hayton, Dylan Guenther, Jack McBain, Josh Doan, Tij Iginla... plus that stockpile of picks they have.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Which team is the biggest dumpster fire in the nhl currently with little upside in sight for years? Send him to that team.

Calgary? Washington? Pittsburgh once crosby/malkin are done?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Gross is a parasite. Nothing about him can be trusted. Swayman would be wise to find someone else to represent him. His career trajectory of being paid good money for 8 years playing on a perennial playoff team is much better than what may happen if he either sits for a prolonged period or is traded to an inferior team and doesn't look so stellar any longer

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'm leaning toward believing the agent here. At the end of the day, the agent was the one who RESPONDED back to the initial statement, which meant they had all day to think about their response.

I refuse to believe they would just go "Nah we have to lie and say that offer was never presented us".

They could've just kept it at "We're super disappointed that Neely went public with our negotiations. Not something we were expecting"

Instead, they added "That offer was never presented to us". Im sorry but Neely is lying
"The offer was never presented to us" also says put your money where your mouth is and offer Swayman 8x8. If Boston has not gone up to 64 yet, then Neely just screwed them as they have to offer it or pull back the statement.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe, but he doesn't exactly have an all-star roster of clientele. Outside of Swayman and Nylander the only real names are Krug, Saad, Sandin, Pinto and Iafallo. Baseball doesn't operate under a cap structure either and Drew knows that there will always be free-spending teams who don't make responsible decisions. Hockey is a different beast for the most part.
And he'll likely have a similar roster of clients after this.
Sway may be in for a rude awakening if he ends up getting traded and isn't putting up close to the same numbers as he did playing part-time in Boston.
Maybe. But maybe Nealy wasn't honest either. Usually when people negotiate through the media, they are spinning it to their favor.

BTW...I know nothing about Gross, so he could be a POS. I just know that teams usually try to take full advantage of players and fans turn on players when they use the little leverage they have (as RFAs)

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
"The offer was never presented to us" also says put your money where your mouth is and offer Swayman 8x8. If Boston has not gone up to 64 yet, then Neely just screwed them as they have to offer it or pull back the statement.
They can offer $64 million but with no trade trotection and heavily backloaded (or even with some deferred) and I could easily see that not being acceptable (and reasonably so).

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Neely lost patience. Gross can easily play with words on the 64 million thing.

I'd actually like to see the Bruins let him rot. He would have to fire Gross and get a proper agent.

Reactions: Bodit9

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think the reason a deal hasn't been done yet is Gross just being a total POS. He's the reason for 100% of this drama. Swayman needs to be careful trusting a glorified used car salesman too much, doesn't always work out (case in point: John Klingberg).
I mean he clearly felt some type of way about arbitration. Agents are agents and their boss is the player. If Swayman wanted to sign it would be.

Now I get the part about trusting the wrong people but the player is in charge. I actually think Swayman is asking for too much, but I also think the Bruins misplayed this whole thing too.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Friedman just dropped an article on the situation:

- Neely said he directly asked Swayman if the goalie wished to be a Bruin, and the answer was a resounding yes. I’m under the impression Swayman has always pushed for maximum term. After initially offering contracts of various lengths, the Bruins were satisfied with Swayman’s response and focused on eight years.

• Despite that, the two sides remain so far apart on salary that this won’t be solved unless player or team completely caves in or changes their minds. I’ve heard some softening of positions, but the gap was millions per season to start with.

• Gross’s statement claims that, prior to the media conference, the Bruins never got to $64M. I think they were close, maybe around $60M-$62M. Swayman/Gross probably aren’t as annoyed about the number itself as they are about it being mentioned in the first place. I read what Neely said as this: “We’re going to 64 and no farther. That’s it.” We will see. David Pastrnak pushed the Bruins farther than they wanted to go, but he was unrestricted. Swayman saw that success, but he is restricted.

• Two weeks ago, I started to hear rumours of a possible trade. The Bruins wouldn’t comment, but it was clear they told teams they weren’t considering it and wanted to keep him. Again, we will see if anything has changed. Remember, other teams are allowed to speak to Swayman because he’s an unsigned free agent. They know what he wants.

Credit: What comes next in the Bruins, Swayman standoff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad