Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
You don't think one of the league's best goalies has any leverage with a team trying to keep their contention window open by either retaining his services or trading him for another impact player?

Bruins fans must be getting high on some really good stuff lately...

He’s an RFA and at this point of the season, the Bruins couldn’t recoup much for him that would help them this year.

And I imagine they’re confident that their system will keep them afloat.

So no, he doesn’t have all that much leverage. He can certainly manoeuvre his way to a new team, but it probably won’t happen until the draft.

The Bruins will play games and make money without him. He won’t play or earn anything without the Bruins.

He should’ve signed an offer sheet. But maybe no one else wanted to meet his ask either…

Also, I’m a Sens fan not a Bruins fan.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I don't understand. You agreed to pay Pasta 11m so just stfu and pay Sway 10m.

Those are your two franchise pieces moving forward.

This didn't need to happen.
Pastrnak had a 2nd and a 5th place Hart finish, a Rocket Richard, and 2 first team all star placements before he signed that contract. Swayman has one 7th place finish for Vezina. You're talking apples and oranges.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A swayman $9m x 8 contract likely 'turns good' in year 3... so it's actually perfect for a team like utah's timing.

Generally speaking, you'd be correct that it's too early for them to commit to a big money goalie, but he's only 25, so can grow with that team.

goalies are voodoo.. He can be terrible the next 4 years and somehow still deserves to get paid that kind of money.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
A swayman $9m x 8 contract likely 'turns good' in year 3... so it's actually perfect for a team like utah's timing.

Generally speaking, you'd be correct that it's too early for them to commit to a big money goalie, but he's only 25, so can grow with that team.
Problem is you still don't know what you have. Prospects are nice, but until it translates on-ice then teams shouldn't be making those kinds of moves considering it would take a chunk out of the prospect pool I imagine.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah - animosity between Swayman & Sweeny almost seems as though it might be best to part ways.
It certainly seems like neither side is happy with the negotiation tactics of the other. Sway seems to think the Bs making a commitment to him being the starter automatically means they have to pony up commitment money without yet having to prove he's deserving of it.

Reactions: FMichael

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Pastrnak had a 2nd and a 5th place Hart finish, a Rocket Richard, and 2 first team all star placements before he signed that contract. Swayman has one 7th place finish for Vezina. You're talking apples and oranges.
The top 4 goalies moving forward is Shesty Sway Oetter and Sorokin.

I could be wrong, but ppl have these 4 as elite for the next 10 years.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Pretty unprofessional to go public by Neely. But I can’t see why he would make this up. Gross responds quickly stating $64m ‘was never discussed’ let alone offered. Someone is lying, not sure where the grey area is here.

Define 64m what exactly what offered we don't know. Since we really don't know what exactly boston offered detail by detail, both the GM and agent could be well correct.

Its pretty unprofessionally for the agent to do the same darn thing...

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think players appreciate being pressured by management by having offers they've supposedly received made public.

Maybe it will end up helping get a deal done, but based on his agents response it looks like there's decent chance it could increase the rift between the two parties.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
They had to trade Ullmark when they did because if his NTC of they wanted any chance of recouping a high draft pick after trading so many away.

I'd guess they had a frame work in place with Swayman before the trade, but Swayman's agent probably got his ear after the Ullmark trade and sold him on the idea of leveraging that to "reset the goalie market".

This seems the most likely to me. Sometimes it works out for the playee, sometimes it doesnt. Lets see who blinks first

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Should be interesting to see how this unfolds. This is a perfect storm in terms of a stalemate. On one side you have a management group who isn’t going to be bullied in negotiations and the other a goalie who has yet to carry the workload of a starter for one whole season asking for the moon.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If the bruins can somehow be a strong team without swayman, I would tell him to sign in the KHL he isnt playing in the NHL until his rights by the bruins expire

If bruins stink, swayman has all the leverage and I wouldnt sign for less than 11-12M on a 1 or 2 year term to get rights to expire so I can get paid and then leave

The relation is ruined, one side needs to for the kill and put the other on blast

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

“People” could very well be wrong. They likely will be. Based on history, at least one of those guys will regress and be an anchor after signing a big contract.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think players appreciate being pressured by management by having offers they've supposedly received made public.

Maybe it will end up helping get a deal done, but based on his agents response it looks like there's decent chance it could increase the rift between the two parties.

THe player/agent is just as gulity of trying to make the GM look bad in the media as much as the GM is gulity of trying to make the player/agent look bad.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Pretty unprofessional to go public by Neely. But I can’t see why he would make this up. Gross responds quickly stating $64m ‘was never discussed’ let alone offered. Someone is lying, not sure where the grey area is here.
I don’t see how it benefits Neely or the Bruins to lie about the offer. I’m with you though, what an ugly situation

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t see how it benefits Neely or the Bruins to lie about the offer. I’m with you though, what an ugly situation

Agents can be dishonest too. Why would agent admit that they didn't like the offer instead spin it as if it was never offered to begin with.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If the bruins can somehow be a strong team without swayman, I would tell him to sign in the KHL he isnt playing in the NHL until his rights by the bruins expire

If bruins stink, swayman has all the leverage and I wouldnt sign for less than 11-12M on a 1 or 2 year term to get rights to expire so I can get paid and then leave

The relation is ruined, one side needs to for the kill and put the other on blast
KHL now? Seems like a well thought out plan.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Until Sway shows he can handle a starter workload he's on the outside for me. Hellebuyck and Vasi are still ahead for now.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Define 64m what exactly what offered we don't know. Since we really don't know what exactly boston offered detail by detail, both the GM and agent could be well correct.

Its pretty unprofessionally for the agent to do the same darn thing...
No more details needed. He’s insinuated that they offered him a $64m contract. Term and aav are not relevant when the other side says that TCV was never discussed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Eh, he was put in a position where he probably had to respond on behalf of his client.
The whole situation was nothing but talking through the media to begin with on both sides before this current stuff came out. Its ridicilous no matter what each side is saying.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The whole situation was nothing but talking through the media to begin with on both sides before this current stuff came out.

I think that is pretty standard operation procedure, and doesn't really seem to cause a whole lot of problems since both sides have plausible deniability that they never leaked anything or that the reports are untrue.

I think having management come out and outright drop a dollar figure straight from their own mouths is a bit different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad