Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think it’s pretty apparent the Bruins have played the “System” card with Swayman, and in all honesty, it really is a good argument.

Goalies just put up better stats in Boston and Vegas, because they have the dmen to play that zone system and force everything outside. It’s boring as hell to play, but you have to have really good retrieval skills, and the ability to be very, very disciplined. That latter part is why Edmonton just couldn’t convert to the system last year. So not every team can pull it off, but if you can, it does make life much easier for your goaltenders.

If Korpisalo gets off to the start most goalies do in Boston and Vegas, Swayman would be very smart to take a 2 year deal. Especially if Ullmark lays an egg in Ottawa early. Then cash in as a UFA. You’ll find a team willing, at that point.

Speaking of system goalies. Fully expect really good numbers coming out of Vegas for Samsonov as well. Another goalie, like Korpisalo, who likely fell into the best situation they could’ve ever asked for.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
I don't think skater contracts have ever been used as comparables when negotiating goalie contracts in the history of the NHL for one.
Well I did not say it is a comparable.
But just the fact, that a younger unproven winger with much more RFA years left gets a contract like this, must do something.
Goalie is a different position. I get it. There are not many comparables for Swayman, but seeing other young players getting contracts like this, seems relevant. Guenther might be a great player in the future, but Swayman is more important for a team. Other important players signed team friendly contracts (e.g. Seider, Raymond,...), but an important player like Swayman should be paid under 7 million for 8 years? That does not sound fair to me. It is never gonna happen.

An 8 year contract should be start with at least 8 million for Swayman. And that is team friendly, considering his importance. So Swaymans alleged ask for 9.5 million does not sound off to me.

Reactions: Fatass

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think skater contracts have ever been used as comparables when negotiating goalie contracts in the history of the NHL for one.
It's starting to when you are talking about best in your position now. Not so much to random skater comparable.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I don't think some ppl here have brains. Guenther is projected to be a ppg winger in the future. Swayman is very likely getting carried by the Bruins defensive play.

PPG winger > Average Goalie

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
If Utah signs to say 7x9 how many picks would they give up?

Flip Vejlemaki for a few picks to Boston lol

They would give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but 9.1mil is the threshold for it becoming two 1s, a 2 and and 3.

so if they can stay below 9.1 it may be worth it for them.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I know goalies are up and down, but to me swagman looks legit. And im not fixing that autocorrect either. He is a very good goalie - technically sound, athletic, and he's shown he can be a beast come playoffs.

He is definitely not worth 10M. Id be real happy with 7M if I was Boston, and I would go as high as 8M. Don't think he's earned that yet but if it's between 8M or letting him walk, bruins need to sign him.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If Utah signs to say 7x9 how many picks would they give up?

Flip Vejlemaki for a few picks to Boston lol

They would give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but 9.1mil is the threshold for it becoming two 1s, a 2 and and 3.

so if they can stay below 9.1 it may be worth it for them.
Offer sheets are all calculated with a max length of 5 years, for purposes of determining compensation.

A 7x9 has a total value of $63m. So, divided by 5, it would be a $12.66m AAV, and 4 1sts for compensation.

You wont see offersheets over 5 years, for this reason.

Reactions: Dog and Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad