Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Any rebuilding team should. Wouldn't you rather have $1 million than a lottery ticket that can give you anything between $0 and $1 million?
This stupid argument ignores A) the volatility of goalies, and B) salary cap space.

You get that top 3 pick at less than 1 mill for 3 years, THEN you get 4 years of RFA control as well, vs Paying swayman top dollar.

Over the 60+ top 3 picks since 2000-2020 (ignoring guys who haven't gotten full chances yet, I think I'd rather have Swayman than maybe 8 of them:

Yakapov, Kakko, Patrick, Murray, Barker, Svitov, Dach, KK.

And if you get a superstar on ELC/RFA, that is INFINITELY more valuable

What about the first and first round prospect for Askarov? That seems like a high benchmark.
9th overall pick is worth more than what askarov got.

And Schneider and Swayman are pretty excellent comps in terms of age, results, workload, etc.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
The Bruins have 9.5m available just by switching to running 13F instead of 14F. What cap situation? If Swayman wants to hold onto a 9.5m ask (if true), he is free to go find an offersheet from someone willing to give him a 5x9.5 and be willing to give up 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, or give him the full 7 years and give up 4 1sts.

Everyone's just trying to make this scenario doom & gloom. The problem has always been "Lewis Gross". Swayman stating he's "educated" himself = he's being coached/guided by Gross.

No ones going to offer sheet Swayman 9.5M+

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's impossible to say since we don't know where Vegas will ultimately finish.
It's really not impossible to say.

Vegas 1st is that of an expected playoff team, and it's 1 year out. Therefore we value it accordingly. If you want to get technical you'd make a projection for vegas' range of outcomes and come up with an expected value of the pick. (If you want you can ask Calgary, Ottawa, Seattle, NJD, Minnesota, or SJS if they'd trade Parekh, Yakemchuk, Catton, Silayev, Buium, or Dickinson for vegas 1st+bystedt)

If vegas finishes dead last and gives up first overall that doesn't all of a sudden mean teams are gonna start paying 1st overall for askarov level goalies. Same as if they win the cup, it doesn't make askarov worth less.

And the same applies to askarov. If askarov busts it doesn't mean a bad goalie suddenly is worth 1st+prospect going forward, and same if askarov becomes the best goalie in the NHL, it doesn't then mean the best goalie in the NHL can be acquired for said price.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
I don't know who that guy is but he looks like he's just some random dude. Having said that, probably both parties compromise on a short term deal at around 6

Not a random dude. Ty has been on the Bruins' beat for a decade and a half, give or take. Smart, affable and not one to post random BS. He works for the biggest sports radio station in Boston.

From my experience he's usually more deliberate when posting breaking news than your average guy who got his start during the 'blog' era.

If he's posting like this I'd almost guarantee that there's something percolating between Swayman and the B's. Obviously it doesn't sound as if he's sure about anything being done or close to done, but in the replies he's alluded to the idea that fewer leaks sometimes means there's positive momentum.

Reactions: wintersej

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Not a random dude. Ty has been on the Bruins' beat for a decade and a half, give or take. Smart, affable and not one to post random BS. He works for the biggest sports radio station in Boston.

From my experience he's usually more deliberate when posting breaking news than your average guy who got his start during the 'blog' era.

If he's posting like this I'd almost guarantee that there's something percolating between Swayman and the B's. Obviously it doesn't sound as if he's sure about anything being done or close to done, but in the replies he's alluded to the idea that fewer leaks sometimes means there's positive momentum.
Okay well I'm still going to guess it's something like 6 million over 1 or 2 years

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
If the Bruins want to make the playoffs they must sign Swayman. He’s got that point as his leverage.

There were 6 playoff teams with subpar starters last year (Toronto - Samsonov, Washington - Lindgren, LA - Talbot, Edmonton - Skinner, Vegas - Thompson/Hill, Colorado - Georgiev). I don't think the Bruins season is over without Swayman.
This talking point that the B's, a team with easily a top-5 defense in the league and arguably top-3, can't make the playoffs unless they have their top goalie feels forced.

Can't wait for this thing to be put to bed today. Been hearing from Bruins haters since 2008 that the B's won't make the playoffs without a PMD, then a top-line RW power forward, then more speed, then more size and skill, then better centers than Coyle and Zacha. Fact is, Boston has missed the playoffs a grand total of 7 times in the last.... drumroll please.... 56 years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad