Online Series: The Boys (Amazon) - Season 4

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
My wife walked in during the "human centipede" scene in episode 2. There's always that one scene in every season, lol
The scene was even weirder for me because he's the actor who played "God" in Supernatural.

This season has been interesting so far, with the addition of Sister Sage. Now Vought has both strength and strategy.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It's not anti-capitalist, it's anti-fascist.
Anti-facist yes, no question. But to be fair I can't think of any non-propaganda piece of media that isn't anti-fascist. It's like being anti-hunger or anti-stepping in a puddle when you're wearing socks.

But the critique of capitalism is undeniable, from Homelander's obsession with his ratings, to Vought's hegemony across media, healthcare, and all things corporate. Their parody of corporate rainbowashing was also on point with the Brave Maeve "All Gender" Ballroom in the hotel. (As opposed to a one gender ballroom?)

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My wife walked in during the "human centipede" scene in episode 2. There's always that one scene in every season, lol
The scene was even weirder for me because he's the actor who played "God" in Supernatural.

This season has been interesting so far, with the addition of Sister Sage. Now Vought has both strength and strategy.

:laugh: there’s always that one scene. The arena scene in episode 3 was a bit aggressive, but predictable.

My thoughts (without knowing any of that source material):

Sage doesn’t buy Homelander’s ideology, but she knows he will kill her. IMO she is doing the long game play… I wonder if we will see her change sides later in this season or season 5.

I think this season ends with Homelander being alone at the top of the 7 and Vought. The Noir replacement will be killed, Starlight will get Firecracker.

I get the sense A train will be killed by Homelander .. and I wonder if it will be in a move where A train saves Hughie at the last second, which would be a neat way to end his character.

Finally either Deep just jumps into the ocean or I could see a sadder situation of suicide.

Really it is setting up for Ryan to be the one to take down Homelander. I don’t think Butcher does this season but next season his illness will really slow him down.

Oh and I bet Maeve comes back before this ends, and takes some compound V to give her powers back briefly

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I've only watched the first two so far, but the show feels sloppier in it's execution. I'm not sure why yet. The first ~15 minutes of the first episode were especially jarring to me.

Maybe it's the evergrowing cast and plot lines? And despite the increase in scope, much of it feels like padding. I know the show is set to end after 5 seasons, but I wonder if it should have been 4 seasons.

That's not to say I didn't like the first two episodes, but I am a bit concerned that the show might fall off the rails these last two seasons.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I've only watched the first two so far, but the show feels sloppier in it's execution. I'm not sure why yet. The first ~15 minutes of the first episode were especially jarring to me.

Maybe it's the evergrowing cast and plot lines? And despite the increase in scope, much of it feels like padding. I know the show is set to end after 5 seasons, but I wonder if it should have been 4 seasons.

That's not to say I didn't like the first two episodes, but I am a bit concerned that the show might fall off the rails these last two seasons.

It probably isn't as good as S1, but it's just much more complex and we're getting close to the end of it all. So for what it's worth, I think they're doing well, but thankfully they know it can't really go on much longer than 1 more season without losing all quality.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Thinking about it some more, I think my issues with the direction the show appears to be heading in are:

1. The political satire has started to erode. Homelander could of course always be compared to Trump, and his enablers and supporters could be compared to the alt-right. But by putting the real life alt-right into the show (with little creative difference or exaggeration) and brining them together with Homelander in such a similar relationship to it's real world equivalent, I think it ties his character down to something more specific than it was initially meant to.

2. The tension is gone. Scenes where Homelander was alone in a room with The Boys were fascinating, you knew he could snap at any moment and kill Hughie or Butcher. But The Boys have now had so many encounters with Homelander and have been openly trying to kill him and take his son from him for so long that it's hard to buy that he just leaves without incident every time they run into each other.

3. Some of the character relationships are becoming more soap opera-esque. Butcher's relationship with the rest of the Boys goes back and forth between being hated and embraced. Frenchie and Kimiko's thing hasn't gone anywhere. The two new supes that are working with Homelander to start a movement supporting him is too similar to what already happened with Stormfront.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peasy

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Great episode all around. Homelander's 'trip down memory lane' was an outstanding acting showcase for Anthony Starr (not as though every scene isn't an opportunity to shine). Every story line was well done top to bottom. Thinking back on what I watched, I think there was one dialogue exchange that made me smirk in a bad way but past that, just great stuff all around.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought that was the strongest episode of the season thus far, for almost all of the different plot threads.

My only critique is it’s hard to see where the Frenchie/Colin storyline goes from here at all. The inevitable conflict bubbled over (sooner than I thought it would), but now where does it go?

But for the rest of it - very well done. Knew the Homelander story was going to be all kinds of uncomfortable (but super compelling) and it delivered. Also very intrigued by Billy and what’s going on with him.

Hughie’s storyline had some twists and turns that have me wondering about what agendas people have. I was pleasantly surprised he was aware and supportive of the twist about Starlight - I feel like it would have been low hanging fruit for the writers to have had him in the dark and stoke conflict that way. Hughie seems to be in the best headspace he’s been in for some time, in spite of all that’s going on. He’s got that idealistic streak back - hope they don’t immediately beat it out of him. :laugh:

Really enjoyed this episode - had to shield my eyes during the scene with Sage and Deep.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Thinking about it some more, I think my issues with the direction the show appears to be heading in are:

1. The political satire has started to erode. Homelander could of course always be compared to Trump, and his enablers and supporters could be compared to the alt-right. But by putting the real life alt-right into the show (with little creative difference or exaggeration) and brining them together with Homelander in such a similar relationship to it's real world equivalent, I think it ties his character down to something more specific than it was initially meant to.

2. The tension is gone. Scenes where Homelander was alone in a room with The Boys were fascinating, you knew he could snap at any moment and kill Hughie or Butcher. But The Boys have now had so many encounters with Homelander and have been openly trying to kill him and take his son from him for so long that it's hard to buy that he just leaves without incident every time they run into each other.

3. Some of the character relationships are becoming more soap opera-esque. Butcher's relationship with the rest of the Boys goes back and forth between being hated and embraced. Frenchie and Kimiko's thing hasn't gone anywhere. The two new supes that are working with Homelander to start a movement supporting him is too similar to what already happened with Stormfront.

I think Homelander actually likes the Boys because they are the only ones in his life that are not afraid of him. I think he respects that and why he hasn't killed them. Most of the people who stand up to him seem to live longer at least.

Reactions: Brodeur

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I thought that was the strongest episode of the season thus far, for almost all of the different plot threads.

My only critique is it’s hard to see where the Frenchie/Colin storyline goes from here at all. The inevitable conflict bubbled over (sooner than I thought it would), but now where does it go?

But for the rest of it - very well done. Knew the Homelander story was going to be all kinds of uncomfortable (but super compelling) and it delivered. Also very intrigued by Billy and what’s going on with him.

Hughie’s storyline had some twists and turns that have me wondering about what agendas people have. I was pleasantly surprised he was aware and supportive of the twist about Starlight - I feel like it would have been low hanging fruit for the writers to have had him in the dark and stoke conflict that way. Hughie seems to be in the best headspace he’s been in for some time, in spite of all that’s going on. He’s got that idealistic streak back - hope they don’t immediately beat it out of him. :laugh:

Really enjoyed this episode - had to shield my eyes during the scene with Sage and Deep.
Totally agree, it was a great episode. Homelander scenes were great, Antony Starr is killing it. Also agreed about the Sage/Deep scene, lol didn't like seeing that at all.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

That episode was so awesome...the Collin/Frenchie story I can't say I care much for, but I do think it means Frenchie is dying. Like it's his "unfinished business" as a character. So that's my best guess knowing there's only 1 season left.

Homelander...what a character. So incredible. This scene was amazing back at the lab.

Hughie's story is very real, that's for sure. I feel it and I can't blame him for what he decided to do with his Dad. The real breakout of the season is A-Train...his redemption arc is slow and it makes total sense. I love it. He's also a character I have a fear of death for.

Sister Sage...that lobotomy scene...I'm convinced she's playing everyone right now. No shot she's casually just working with Homelander. I think she's got a scheme going on no one can see coming.

Also Deep & Noir continue to make me laugh every second. What a show.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Anthony Starr ranks near the top of my list for tv villains. He’s so good.

Great episode. Feels like they’ve wrote seasons 4 and 5 together so they can weave a complex storyline together and give them runway to close it off.

Also a nice Easter egg from Gen V… more crossover of that to come. Makes me hope season 5 combines the two together to end boy series

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is one of the most f***ed episodes of television I've ever seen.

Homelander is so f***ing insane. And somehow the rest of the episode managed to follow in his psychotic footsteps.

Edit: I made this post like a minute before Sage's lobotomy. What the f***ing hell.

Last edited:
  • Haha

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
L
This is one of the most f***ed episodes of television I've ever seen.

Homelander is so f***ing insane. And somehow the rest of the episode managed to follow in his psychotic footsteps.

Edit: I made this post like a minute before Sage's lobotomy. What the f***ing hell.

I couldn’t watch that part with Sage… probably the only scene in the series :laugh:

Homelander is becoming so deranged. He is totally going to take over this season.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My new theory:

Sage repeatedly has made the clarification she is not the smartest woman, but the smartest person. I think Deep's octopus teacher wife (who by definition is a "woman" but not a person) is going to somehow outsmart her, perhaps after she gives herself the another Rosemary Kennedy special, and kill her. Presumably by stabbing her in the heart. This fan theory I came up with in 10 seconds is now the hill I am willing to die on.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Finally got caught up with the new season but something feels off. I’m not sure how to quite explain but doesn’t feel like the first 3 seasons at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00