The best captains in hockey history

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This article also talks about early Potvin, but goes into more detail about the turnaround

THE CHANGING LIVES OF DENIS POTVIN (Published 1984)

"When Potvin talks about his teammates now it is with an affection that seems almost studied compared with his previous relationship with them. In his early years he separated himself from them physically and emotionally.

He recalls that at first he lived with many of them in Westbury, L.I. But then he moved to the more chic Garden City. He wondered aloud at the time why many of his teammates never availed themselves of New York City, never made the sort of friends he did. He was alienated from many of his teammates, but patched things up one day in a locker-room psychodrama. It was an emotional scene in which his teammates told him he had alienated them with what appeared to be put-downs of the way they lived compared with him. Potvin, for his part, conceded these failings and said he would try to change.

In the 1979-80 season they voted him their captain."

Also from the article: ''At the beginning of my career,'' he says, ''I had no time for anyone else because of my goals and ambitions. Now, my concern for my teammates shows through. In the last few years I had some trying off-the-ice problems, but none that left me so empty as my Dad dying.''

It's a nice read overall. Talks about Potvin's early ego and issues with teammates, his changing style of play at Arbour's insistence, and his struggles in the 1984 playoffs after his father died plus a divorce at the beginning of the season.

POTVIN FITTING IN, STANDING APART (Published 1985)

The above is also a good read. Talks a lot about Potvin's notable ego, but how he could relate to teammates much better later in his career. Paints a picture as Arbour as the leader of the team, at least in terms of building and directing Islanders culture. Also has Potvin talking about how he tried to pattern his game after Harvey because he knew he couldn't skate like Orr.
gonna give these a read when i get the chance this weekend. Much appreciated

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Potvin is an interesting case. Definitely seems like he matured into a good leader, but early on when he was New York's best player (but not yet captain) he seems to have alienated his teammates quite a bit. This Sports Illustrated article talks about it, and I think that there is a New York Times article out there that goes into detail on it too.

UNDAUNTED AND UNHAUNTED
I dunno... to me that article only makes Potvin look like a cool guy who was surrounded by a bunch of weirdos. I mean, he's criticized by his own teammates because he's not respectful enough of Bobby Orr (!) and because he thinks NYC is a pretty fun place (!!) Seriously, wtf?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There was definitely a thing with Potvin in his early years where he was the best player on the club and the smartest, most culturally sophisticated guy on the team... and if you don't believe me, just ask Potvin.

He definitely looked down his nose at many of his teammates in the early years. I mean, yeah, it's hockey-culture of the mid-1970s, and if you have any interests at all outside of sports, beer, and Playboy magazine, you're seen as a bit weird. But still, he seemed to openly relish the fact that he was Mr. Enlightened.

Seems he changed a lot later on.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I dunno... to me that article only makes Potvin look like a cool guy who was surrounded by a bunch of weirdos. I mean, he's criticized by his own teammates because he's not respectful enough of Bobby Orr (!) and because he thinks NYC is a pretty fun place (!!) Seriously, wtf?
I'd say that publicly questioning Orr getting player of the game awards, as his teammate and during the tournament itself, is clearly a negative. I'd also say that the issue is more how Potvin interacted with his teammates, not that he enjoyed New York. Gillies said in one of the articles that he never had much of an issue with Potvin's lifestyle because his play was that damn good, but he pissed his teammates off. As it pertains to this thread, Potvin was not a captain on those teams, but he was an assistant captain. Bring an assistant catain on the most loaded team Canada ever at his age actually speaks well to how Potvin was perceived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad