Proposal: The Avs & The Have Nots: COL + VAN + L.A.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The Preamble
I'm not sure about this trade from Colorado's perspective, so this is more of a 'What do you guys think?' idea rather than a proposal I'm adamant should happen. I think it clearly makes the Avs the betting favorites in the West, and possibly even puts them ahead of Tampa as the league's best team on paper, however, since I generally prefer a more patient approach from management when building a contender, I'd be reluctant to part with such high-end young talent given the years of team-control left on their contracts. With that said, I thought the Kuemper acquisition was poor asset management, so I really don't know how this proposal would be viewed by Sakic and Co. If this trade lead to the Avs making back-to-back Finals, winning one of them, is it worth it?

From Vancouver's perspective, as talented as they are, it seems unlikely they'll emerge as serious contenders before Horvat and Miller hit UFA in 2 years, so I think there's some merit to moving them for younger talent with more years of team control. And while Horvat and Miller could both sign extensions before reaching UFA, I think it's interesting to explore what a trade involving them might look like

For the Kings, I really like the fit, though I am curious what others think regarding the value

The Trade
Colorado out: Byram, Newhook, Johnson
Colorado in: Horvat (50% retained), Miller (50% retained), Maata

Vancouver out: 2023 2nd, Hughes, Horvat (50% retained), Miller (50% retained)
Vancouver in: L.A.'s 2022 1st, Byram, Turcotte, Newhook, Johnson

Los Angeles out: 2022 1st, Turcotte, Maata
Los Angeles in: VAN's 2023 2nd, Hughes

Colorado goes all in, creating arguably the best roster in the NHL while also clearing the 2 remaining years of Johnson's contract. Maata has just 1 year remaining on his deal, so he'll come off the books next summer when the Avs will presumably be looking to re-sign some of their key UFAs

Vancouver bring in a hometown stud prospect in Byram to replace Hughes, while adding elite forward prospects Turcotte and Newhook to their talented young core. They also pick up a 2022 1st rd pick from the Kings which could fall in the top 10. There's no place for Johnson in Vancouver's lineup, so he could be flipped to a team in need of a veteran blueliner. Buffalo, for example, could swap Okposo for Johnson in order to pair him with Dahlin

Los Angeles get an offensively gifted young Dman by dealing from a position of strength. Given their current payroll, Hughes will have to settle for a 1 or 2 year bridge deal worth approx. 6 million before the cap space needed to sign him long term becomes available. They also pick up a 2nd rd pick in the 2023 draft

Parting Shots

As mentioned in the preamble, I'm especially keen to hear opinions on the Hughes for Turcotte portion of the proposal...

Should the Kings have to include a 1st, or would Turcotte plus a 2nd suffice?

If the Kings have to include a 1st, should the Canucks have to send back a 2nd or a 3rd to balance things out?

What do you think is fair?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So basically the Canucks rebuild again? Give up Horvat, Hughes, Miller and Pettersson would probably leave too along with Boeser after that trade only to get Newhook and Turcotte?? Are you kidding me? No way will I ever watch them if they did that trade, that is just beyond stupid.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Pretty terrible for Colorado.
How is it terrible for Colorado? They get Miller and Horvat for a combined 5 million dollars which makes up their 2nd line. That boost would make them instant Stanley cup winners over anyone else imo.

Rantanen-Mackinon-Landeskog
Miller-Horvat-Kadri

That top 6 is filthy with 3 capable centers on the 2nd line. Gives Colorado 6 legit NHL centers with 4 of them being top 6 quality. That amount of grit on the top 6 will run like a hot knife through butter against any other team and its not even close. I would do that trade if I was Colorado because they need to win the cup now.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Benning
giphy.gif

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Vancouver gets gutted for prospects who likely won't ever be as good as the players they're being traded for. And they eat a whack of cap for their troubles
Yep, this is definitely a bad trade for Vancouver and people here overrate young prospects like they are the second coming of Gretzky yet they don't see those highly touted prospects could just as easily falter or not reach their full potential. The fact that they are not only being traded for quality top 6 players who have been proven to score in playoffs and regular season but still are young, is what makes this trade stink to high hell. There is zero incentive for the Canucks to trade Horvat who is the captain and on a great contract and they gave up an unprotected 1st to get Miller out of Tampa which had cap problems.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Are you implying this is a bad trade for Colorado? Because that should be Benning throwing the phone out the window after giving up 3 of their best players plus a high pick :laugh:

I examined it more and agree with you

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Colorado would not do this and people saying they would should put some thought into what their defense would look like after the trade. It just requires a little use of brain power, which I understand is a significant ask on these boards.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Colorado would not do this and people saying they would should put some thought into what their defense would look like after the trade. It just requires a little use of brain power, which I understand is a significant ask on these boards.

Yeah but the offense would be overwhelmingly good, and the defense would still have Makar, Murray, Girard, Toews. Throw in JJ and MacDonald on the bottom pair.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Yeah but the offense would be overwhelmingly good, and the defense would still have Makar, Murray, Girard, Toews. Throw in JJ and MacDonald on the bottom pair.

Toews will miss time to start the this season and Murray can't be relied upon to stay healthy. The Avs would have to rely on Jack Johnson playing significant minutes and being their best defensive defenseman, particularly on the PK. Are you starting to see the problems with the logic?

When you are evaluating a team, you don't just look at the forwards and then call it a day.

Reactions: jabubenice

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I wouldn't trade Horvat and Miller straight up for Byram and Newhook..... nevermind at 50%.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If the Avs are giving up Newhook and Byram, they're going to want a lot more than 2 years of Miller and Horvat coming back. They were also the highest scoring team in the NHL last year, so I struggle to see why they need to upgrade the 2nd line.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
How is it terrible for Colorado? They get Miller and Horvat for a combined 5 million dollars which makes up their 2nd line. That boost would make them instant Stanley cup winners over anyone else imo.

Rantanen-Mackinon-Landeskog
Miller-Horvat-Kadri

That top 6 is filthy with 3 capable centers on the 2nd line. Gives Colorado 6 legit NHL centers with 4 of them being top 6 quality. That amount of grit on the top 6 will run like a hot knife through butter against any other team and its not even close. I would do that trade if I was Colorado because they need to win the cup now.

And do what with all the 2021 saved salary cap space? Nothing. Just play the season with $7mm of unused cap space. Sign the zero available free agents?

no Thanks. Hard pass from the Avs. We didn’t even dump JT Comphers deal. Lost two A level prospects on ELCs.

Avs can compete for the next six cups. They’ll win at least one. Probably more than one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad