OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
BSG is one of my favorite shows of all time. So so good.

I’ve watched the first half season of the Expanse probably 5 times and just can’t make it to where it actually gets good.
Battlestar Gallactica? Seriously? I loved the original as a kid, and just assumed the reboot would be crappy.

I’m certain to try again. I’ll probably fail again, but I’ll keep climbing on that Symbian.
Um....

Not a typo there, right?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Battlestar Gallactica? Seriously? I loved the original as a kid, and just assumed the reboot would be crappy.

Um....

Not a typo there, right?
BSG reboot was phenomenal.

My one nitpick with the series, and this goes for pretty much all series, eventually people just start doing stupid shit in order for drama to be created because that's what these shows are supposed to be...dramas.

Battlestar Galactca has its fair share of this, but did their best to keep it in check. They final season feels really rushed but I actually really dug the ending. I feel like they stuck that about as well as you could possibly hope. My wife really got into the show after the shock of the recastings. Boomer is no longer a big black man, but a tiny Asian lady. Starbuck is Walt's female deputy from Longmire. The original Apollo makes an appearance in the later seasons and is great. I will also always be a fan of Edward James Olmos. He's fantastic as Adama. For traditional sci-fi fans, I'd recommend BSG over the Expanse. The Expanse has plenty of sci-fi action but it really is politics at play with a three-sided cold-war slowly heating up.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’m certain to try again. I’ll probably fail again, but I’ll keep climbing on that Symbian.
I'd just put the first half of the season on in the background. It's basically character building, but there is such big character arcs it's not a huge deal if all you know is the names and general plot. I don't think I was really hooked until around episode 8-9.

The Expanse is up there as one of my favorite shows, and I appreciate the realism that the series brings. It actually sciences unlike 99.9% of other space shows.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd just put the first half of the season on in the background. It's basically character building, but there is such big character arcs it's not a huge deal if all you know is the names and general plot.

The Expanse is up there as one of my favorite shows, and I appreciate the realism that the series brings. It actually sciences unlike 99.9% of other space shows.
Yeah, there are tons of physicists that have gushed on the Expanse. Everything from the designs of the ships, propulsion, how they stick to the laws of gravity and the lack thereof, the lack of sounds in space, even though I believe they do take some liberties at moments. Also one hell of an easter egg in the final episode. Just check out some of these names....

8212eps3vse81.png

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You lot need to stop being nerdy and watch more anime. It's in a golden age brethren.
I just never got into anime. My friends keep trying, but I guess it's just that the sheer size of what's out there is overwhelming. The popular ones like Naruto and DBZ have like 1k episodes each just by themselves. Avatar I think is pretty long, too. I'm a slow watcher, I just couldn't get through a show that long in any reasonable length of time.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I just never got into anime. My friends keep trying, but I guess it's just that the sheer size of what's out there is overwhelming. The popular ones like Naruto and DBZ have like 1k episodes each just by themselves. Avatar I think is pretty long, too. I'm a slow watcher, I just couldn't get through a show that long in any reasonable length of time.
Some modern anime are less daunting. I'm sure people will argue not all these are Anime, but series like Attack on Titan, Arcane, Invincible, Cyberpunk, Castlevania, Pantheon, X-Men '97 are all gold.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My only real exposure to anime was a show in the early 80s called Starblazers that I remember liking. I think I was like 8 or so. Found it one night online and the wife and I tried to watch an episode....holy crap, I honestly don't know why I liked the show so much as a kid, must have been the idea of raising a big battleship and sending it into space but... woof.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Did TMV delete his account or change his name? Can't seem to find it on mobile. Wanted to DM him for something and wondering if I'm blind or someone knows how to hit him up without a Twitter account?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You lot need to stop being nerdy and watch more anime. It's in a golden age brethren.
You post this and today I get a video of you in my youtube recommendations.

Did TMV delete his account or change his name? Can't seem to find it on mobile. Wanted to DM him for something and wondering if I'm blind or someone knows how to hit him up without a Twitter account?
@The Mars Volchenkov

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad