OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I realize I'm way late on this, but my gf and I finally started to watch Yellowstone. Got through the first 4 episodes, and I have a question.

Is Yellowstone basically Goodfellas or The Sopranos, but on a ranch in Montana?
Yup. God I love that show even if it is ridiculous most of the time.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah - I came to that conclusion after the first season or so. And congrats on getting so far into it. Things really go on a hard down ard slide about season 3/4. I had to fast forward through a lot of it during season 4 just because I really started to hate a lot of the stories. The Monica actress is just nails on a chalkboard for me after they found out she literally has no Native American heritage in her (despite telling casting she was) and is actually Chinese. I hope she never ever gets another Hollywood gig.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I realize I'm way late on this, but my gf and I finally started to watch Yellowstone. Got through the first 4 episodes, and I have a question.

Succession if it was a soap opera about ranchers. I have tried so many times to watch that show and just can’t get into it for the life of me

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Succession if it was a soap opera about ranchers. I have tried so many times to watch that show and just can’t get into it for the life of me
Same… it is just so cringe with mediocre acting. There are certainly some moments, but I just can’t get into it. Different strokes I guess… some people even hate The Wire.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Same… it is just so cringe with mediocre acting. There are certainly some moments, but I just can’t get into it. Different strokes I guess… some people even hate The Wire.

Thank god for this forum sometimes. I effing HATE that show and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the way everyone loves it.

Henchy said "cringe" and that's the perfect description for me. The dialogue and the acting is just SO bad most of the time. Kevin Costner has never had the reputation for being much of an actor and when he's the best actor on the show, there's a problem.

Yuck.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I normally like Kevin Costner, but I couldn't get into Yellowstone at all. It struck me as a soap opera. Just complete over-acting, ridiculous dialogue and dumb decisions you see coming a mile away.

Longmire on the other hand I thought was a pretty decent modern day western. Really liked that Netflix picked the series up and gave it three more seasons to finish up.

Reactions: GeoRox89

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I don't like Yellowstone but my wife loves it so I have to suffer through it. The spinoff shows I thought were better

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I normally like Kevin Costner, but I couldn't get into Yellowstone at all. It struck me as a soap opera. Just complete over-acting, ridiculous dialogue and dumb decisions you see coming a mile away.

Longmire on the other hand I thought was a pretty decent modern day western. Really liked that Netflix picked the series up and gave it three more seasons to finish up.
I'm glad I sent out the note. Lots of negative reviews, not sure I want to invest the time now.

I also watched the first few episodes of Longmire. Thought they were decent, but just got busy and stopped watching. Maybe I'll switch back to that one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really wish that a good late 1800s western series was available. Such an interesting time period with fantastic lore... but also plenty that can be dived into.

Reactions: ABasin

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I really wish that a good late 1800s western series was available. Such an interesting time period with fantastic lore... but also plenty that can be dived into.
I stopped watching at some point but I remember liking Hell on Wheels

Edit: though it looks like it isn't on Netflix anymore

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about that one.

Is the premise there, the building of the railroads across the west?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Deadwood?
I found that to be rather cringe personally... like they wanted to shock you with how much they cussed and how crazy they were.

I couldn't get into that. I tried for a half season and it just didn't get into it.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I found that to be rather cringe personally... like they wanted to shock you with how much they cussed and how crazy they were.

I couldn't get into that. I tried for a half season and it just didn't get into it.
I couldn't get into Deadwood either. Only about 3 or 4 episodes in. I do love Timothy Olyphant though. Justified is kind of a modern western

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I couldn't get into Deadwood either. Only about 3 or 4 episodes in. I do love Timothy Olyphant though. Justified is kind of a modern western
Yeah I really enjoyed Justified, it was an excellent show.

There is some cringe to it today, but for the most part, Lonesome Dove actually holds up. The English was also great. Those are really more miniseries though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've gotta chime in on Justified. That show was excellent.

The wife and I just started re-watching In Plain Sight. Forgot that I really enjoyed this one as well.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Anyone here play in slowpitch softball leagues?
I’ve played in many, though I’m not in one now because I have a wacky work schedule
Not too sure how many here are old enough to have watched the 1993 movie tombstone but it was fantastic imo.
One of my all time favorite movies. So many lines I used to use when I was younger came from this movie

Reactions: Avsfan1921

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I don't like Yellowstone but my wife loves it so I have to suffer through it. The spinoff shows I thought were better
I will never stop being amazed that a show with acting like Yellowstone managed to get a spinoff starring Helen Mirren. On that note, feels like time for a rewatch of Prime Suspect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad