The Atlantic: NHL’s Okay-est division

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Prior to the season it looked like this division would be stacked with potential SC contenders (FLA, TOR, BOS), as well as good to great teams vying for playoffs (TB, OTT, BUF, DET), heck even the rebuild team in Mtl looked improved and would not be a free space on the bingo card this year.

About 10% through the season, it is looking quite a bit different, with a few exceptions.

The only legit contender is looking like FLA

After that there are 6 okay/good teams with not a lot of distance from top to bottom in:

OTT, bos, tor, tb, det, buf - any 2 or 3 of these could make the playoffs. I think OTT has looked the best of the bunch. Tor could
Miss the playoffs and I wouldn’t be surprised now. I considered them a legit cup contender in sept.

Mtl is still fitting the bill, improved rebuild team that has a chance to win each night, if they decide to play defense that evening.

Is this division only going to have 3 playoff teams - with 2 wcs going to the Metro?

The Atlantic has definitely been the most surprising division so far this year in just how “meh” it has looked.

If I had to guess now I’d have FLA, OTT and TB making the playoffs.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this division? What happened to pivot it from one of the toughest divisions preseason to the leagues Okay-est division? Does anyone see the teams turning things around to become legit dominant cup contenders by the end of the year?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How do I talk about the Leafs missing the playoffs without putting it in the title

timbaland-kewcheeeman.gif

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Some early surprises, but it’s still early AF. Boston near the bottom and Ottawa near the top is a bit surprising, as is Detroit over the Leafs, but there’s a really long way to go.

Tampa, and to a large degree as well, both went through two massive hurricanes. Toronto’s getting used to Berube’s system demands (we saw this happen with Florida and Maurice, not sure how much Berube’s looking to change, though). Ottawa’s had good players, now they have an elite goalie.

Lots of time for ships to right themselves.

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Both Boston and TB are long in the tooth and we all know they were past their prime. It was just a matter of when. They are still strong teams, just not elite.

Toronto still has tons of skill in their prime, so unless it is a strange year, they will clock in at 100+ points easy.

Those are the only teams that I find surprising.

The changes made last season in Ottawa may be exactly what the doctored ordered. They might be the one team that has shown already us they are legit. Still not sold though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Since teams play more intra-division games, they are more likely to cannibalize wins and hand losses to eachother. Total points by individual teams does not represent how strong a division is.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Both Boston and TB are long in the tooth and we all know they were past their prime. It was just a matter of when. They are still strong teams, just not elite.

Toronto still has tons of skill in their prime, so unless it is a strange year, they will clock in at 100+ points easy.

Those are the only teams that I find surprising.

The changes made last season in Ottawa may be exactly what the doctored ordered. They might be the one team that has shown already us they are legit. Still not sold though.

BOS is one of the youngest teams in the league, while TOR and Tampa are among the oldest FYI. Most of BOS's stars are in their prime. This BOS is old narrative seriously needs to stop.

1729874881695.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad