OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
My older brother sold our SNES in the early 2000's when were in HS without asking me. The system was both of ours but most of the games were mine. He gave me half the money and I had moved on to the PS1 at that point, so I didn't make a fuss. In any case, after I moved out and got married my mother went through my old shit and got rid of it all and she 100% would have tossed the SNES then too. She threw out my PS1 and PS2 and plenty of games without a second thought, same for my old goalie gear that my son would have loved for me to use so he could shoot off me in our driveway. I'm still annoyed she didn't ask me to take it (my wife would have hellz to the no lol).

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
ColecoVision was the first console I played - QBert and Frogger. Those controllers were something else.
My faves:

Zaxxon
Turbo!
Tutankhamen
Venture
WarGames
Spy Hunter
Buck Rodgers Planet of Zoom!
Cosmic Avenger

I think I got the CV when I was 8 or so. I spent HOURS playing that thing, to the point I used to fake being sick so I could stay home from school a la Matthew Broderick.

I had an Atari VCS as well and bought the ColecoVision emulator so I could play everything on one system. Must have had 70+ games for the 2600.

Also had a Coleco Adam because my dad, at the time, thought it was the superior system to the Commodore 64 which all of my friends were using. Turned out we were wrong, for a few reasons not the least of which the Commodore was a better entry experience for a kid learning to code via gaming. My dad taught computer science at our local community college and thus I also had access to pretty much every Tandy machine ever made, especially the TRS (or 'Trash') 80s.

I never had a 5200, though. My cousin had one but the controller sucked mightily. Never bought a 7800.

I also badly, badly wanted a NeoGeo but my parents wouldn't spring for the cost and I started collecting baseball cards which took up a lot of cash airspace. For what most of those cards are worth today I would have been better off sticking to gaming LOL.

What else....after the Adam we bought an Atari 1040ST because again my dad was of the opinion that it was a better machine than the Commodore 128. I had two games for the 1040 that were awesome - Time Bandit and Star Glider, which I friggin LOVED. Also - we had a 20MB (yes, MB) Seagate hard drive that cost upwards of $600.

Then I went pretty much in order - NES, SNES, Genesis (Sword of Vermillion, Phantasy Star and Double Dragon!), Atari Lynx handheld, GameBoy, moved to PC with Windows 3.1, took a break in college then PS, PS2, XBOX and now PS5 and Series X. Don't do any gaming on PC nowadays because I HATE keyboard controls. I remember using them to play Quake Deathmatch after hours when I worked at Arthur Andersen and it wasn't pleasant.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfgaze

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
My older brother sold our SNES in the early 2000's when were in HS without asking me. The system was both of ours but most of the games were mine. He gave me half the money and I had moved on to the PS1 at that point, so I didn't make a fuss. In any case, after I moved out and got married my mother went through my old shit and got rid of it all and she 100% would have tossed the SNES then too. She threw out my PS1 and PS2 and plenty of games without a second thought, same for my old goalie gear that my son would have loved for me to use so he could shoot off me in our driveway. I'm still annoyed she didn't ask me to take it (my wife would have hellz to the no lol).
Yeah, I hear you. I took my Genesis and PlayStation with all the games to GameStop and traded it all in for the PS2. I played that and my XBOX for a while - until we moved out of NYC to the 'burbs at which point I bought an XBOX 360 solely so I could keep up with Halo. Haven't really played in a while and just picked up a PS5 and Series X a about a year ago......but I still don't play enough to justify the investment. I'm gonna buy FFVII though. Looks incredible even given the time suck.

As an aside, I do wonder as we in the video game generation age if we will still play like this in older age. It's a really funny visual to picture a bunch of 70-year olds playing COD Deathmatch online, headsets and all LOL.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Coleco none at the moment.

Have an Express, TG16+CD, TG, and games listed on Mercari.

(Edit)

And, for reference, my greatest video game regret is selling my COMPLETE U.S. Turbografx collection. I had EVERY single U.S. release including Magical Chase. Boxed, no less.

I remember going to my cousins place and trying (and failing) to run through Bonk when I was 4.

TG16 isn’t something I’ve thought about in years.

How deep is your SNES catalogue?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Okay video game history (mine) here we go and it's very VERY abridged

RCA Studio II was my first video game system.
Colecovision next along with a Vic 20
Went to college and didn't do much with gaming until
Turbografx 16 (bought this at a Sears when I was out with a tennis injury and couldn't move all that much for months. Keith Courage, Galaga '90, Ys, etc...) loved the system. Still my favorite of all time and really not sure why.

PS1 - Vagrant Story, Neo Nectaris, Crono Cross, etc...
Took the plunge on the Neo Geo ($800 at the time and super expensive huge carts) but had quite the collection. Bought an MVS (arcade) Neo Geo 4-Slot as well.

And then I opened an online video game store (videogamedepot.com at the time) and we sold import Dreamcast stuff, import Saturn, some PS / PS2. During this time period, desirable Japanese games were coming out in Japan first (ie... Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, etc...) so there was a pretty good import market for a few years and the Dreamcast was easy to mod (PS2 wasn't).

Was good friends with John Hardie (Classic Gaming Expo and the video game history museum in TX and Joe Santulli (Digital Press and the same museum). Back then we used to actually find video games in thrift stores and meet/swap at Mike Etler's store in NJ every month or two. Leonard Herman frequented these meetings and published books about video game history (search for phoenix by that author). Sean Kelly was another infrequent guy at these meetings (he lived in the midwest but he had a store too and modded vectrex carts (multi-carts).

And then I got really crazy and and bought out TTI/Turbozone Direct (about 3,000 games, Duos, Expresses, etc...) and sold that stuff for years. Had I bought and held that stuff would be worth a half a million dollars today.

And then I got even crazier and published a magazine (do a search for GameGO! - I'm Thomas Keller) that lasted exactly one issue (we authored another but it didn't get printed). Partnered with Eric Mylonas (RIP) from GameFan who thought his name would carry a lot more weight than it actually did and we ran out of money pretty quick.

Anyway once the dust settled from all of that went back into just being a gamer (Xbox 360, but had a really bad experience with their customer service and switched to PS4 and now PS5).

Just recently started dabbling into reselling again as a side hustle. PM me if you've got something to move.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023

Turbografx 16 (bought this at a Sears when I was out with a tennis injury and couldn't move all that much for months. Keith Courage, Galaga '90, Ys, etc...) loved the system. Still my favorite of all time and really not sure why.

Took the plunge on the Neo Geo ($800 at the time and super expensive huge carts) but had quite the collection. Bought an MVS (arcade) Neo Geo 4-Slot as well.

And then I opened an online video game store (videogamedepot.com at the time) and we sold import Dreamcast stuff, import Saturn, some PS / PS2. During this time period, desirable Japanese games were coming out in Japan first (ie... Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, etc...) so there was a pretty good import market for a few years and the Dreamcast was easy to mod (PS2 wasn't).

Was good friends with John Hardie (Classic Gaming Expo and the video game history museum in TX and Joe Santulli (Digital Press and the same museum). Back then we used to actually find video games in thrift stores and meet/swap at Mike Etler's store in NJ every month or two. Leonard Herman frequented these meetings and published books about video game history (search for phoenix by that author). Sean Kelly was another infrequent guy at these meetings (he lived in the midwest but he had a store too and modded vectrex carts (multi-carts).

And then I got really crazy and and bought out TTI/Turbozone Direct (about 3,000 games, Duos, Expresses, etc...) and sold that stuff for years. Had I bought and held that stuff would be worth a half a million dollars today.

And then I got even crazier and published a magazine (do a search for GameGO! - I'm Thomas Keller) that lasted exactly one issue (we authored another but it didn't get printed). Partnered with Eric Mylonas (RIP) from GameFan who thought his name would carry a lot more weight than it actually did and we ran out of money pretty quick.

Anyway once the dust settled from all of that went back into just being a gamer (Xbox 360, but had a really bad experience with their customer service and switched to PS4 and now PS5).

Just recently started dabbling into reselling again as a side hustle. PM me if you've got something to move.
That’s an awesome backstory.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Been going back through my catalog to play older games that are Xbox One X enhanced and it’s really impressive how some of these games look, Fallout 3 looks amazing for instance as well as Red Dead Redemption

Also picked up Manhunt for cheap a while back and having a lot of fun reliving those late nights playing in the dark as a kid and sneaking around to kill in brutal fashion haha

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV

Decent chance I ordered from you back in the day as I imported a bunch of Saturn and Dreamcast games from various sites. I still have stuff like Radiant Silvergun and most of the Treasure games on Saturn, a ton of SNK imports like KoF & SS4 (I see you’re a Haohmaru guy - SS2 is my all time favorite fighting game and Genjuro my dawg) and weird stuff like Elevator Action Returns.

The one that got away for me was Psychic Warlock Assassin Taromaru. I wanted it when it came out just didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason. I also regret selling my Sega CD for cheap including Snatcher as a toss in.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m still an avid FFXIV player. I will play parts 2 and 3 of FFVII eventually but life hasn’t really afforded the time or money for it this year. And I end up playing NHL ever year even though it genuinely pisses me off every year, because hockey is my first and truest love. Otherwise I’m a nerd for fantasy and action adventure in general. One day I’ll get a Switch and play the new Zelda’s, etc.

• Love
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Decent chance I ordered from you back in the day as I imported a bunch of Saturn and Dreamcast games from various sites. I still have stuff like Radiant Silvergun and most of the Treasure games on Saturn, a ton of SNK imports like KoF & SS4 (I see you’re a Haohmaru guy - SS2 is my all time favorite fighting game and Genjuro my dawg) and weird stuff like Elevator Action Returns.

The one that got away for me was Psychic Warlock Assassin Taromaru. I wanted it when it came out just didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason. I also regret selling my Sega CD for cheap including Snatcher as a toss in.

What set our site apart was our somewhat humorous reviews of import games - particularly for Dreamcast. One of our favorites was The Lost Golem which was by no means a technological marvel but it was a lot of fun to play. Took some heat for that one.

We had silvergun, ikaruga, bangaioh, etc…

I’m Haohmaru on Mercari (and soon to be on OfferUp) too if you come across some of my listings there.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Ea NHl 25 is officially announced. October 4 release date.

They are revamping Franchise mode!

Also it looks like it will only be on ps5, and xbox x/s.

Not sure about pc.

Reactions: LokiDog

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Ea NHl 25 is officially announced. October 4 release date.

They are revamping Franchise mode!

Also it looks like it will only be on ps5, and xbox x/s.

Not sure about pc.
Please lord, for the love of all that is holy in career mode please remove the stupid disrupting mid game choices for answering the same repetitive coaches questions. Same for off game questions and events.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Please lord, for the love of all that is holy in career mode please remove the stupid disrupting mid game choices for answering the same repetitive coaches questions. Same for off game questions and events.

This totally turned me off from that game mode.

I don’t even mind it in theory to try and create some immersion but holy shit it’s every single game and your coach/agent wants to talk to you 12 times between games.

• Haha
Reactions: romba and Ruggs225

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Having it only on PS5/XBX is great. I assume the engine is the same? So it will play mostly the same, but hopefully not look like it's NHL 18.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
On the EA forums the moderators confirmed there is no Online Franchise mode this year.

It is something they are working on but it will not be in NHL 25

Last edited:

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Not so much into Vidyagames. Anyone like EM pinball? Got a nice little collection going with my dad.

Bally Old Chicago (1976)

Gottlieb Close Encounters (1978) My favorite & kind of neat as its SS and EM hybrid with digitized sounds and vacuum fluorescent scoring

Gottlieb Soccer (1975)

Williams Space Oddessy (1976)

Currently got Old Chicago at my house. Don't have the room for the others. Fun to clean up and get working. Infinitely serviceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad