The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Geno out long term; Bjugs too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They should do this....
No, they shouldn't.

Let those guys develop. The Pens can still recall Angello, Blandisi, Bjorkqvist, Palve, and DiPauli, among others. Are they as good as Legare and Poulin? No. But it'd be less disruptive to everyone.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Also question:

Would you send Marino down to get a full squad or do the 11F 7D again?
Since that is probably their most likely options with these maroons..

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Also question:

Would you send Marino down to get a full squad or do the 11F 7D again?
Since that is probably their most likely options.
Sullivan said last night they likely wouldn't go with 7 D on Thursday. Coupled with road back-to-back over the weekend, I guarantee another move (or two) is coming.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sullivan said last night they likely wouldn't go with 7 D on Thursday. Coupled with road back-to-back over the weekend, I guarantee another move (or two) is coming.

True, he did say that but to get that theres only 3 options:

Waive Riiko, Ruh(forgot he was even still here. lol) or demote Marino to get a F up or...
Trade...

So yea...waive Ruh...duhhhh!
Then play JJ-Guds cuz they're so good!

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
True, he did say that but to get that theres only 3 options:

Waive Riiko, Ruh(forgot he was even still here. lol) or demote Marino to get a F up or...
Trade...

So yea...waive Ruh...duhhhh!
Then play JJ-Guds cuz they're so good!
They're probably exploring all options until tomorrow's morning skate.

1. Finally pull the trigger on a Johnson or Gudbranson deal for a forward tonight in the hopes that it brings a forward in for tomorrow.
2. Trade Riikola or Ruhwedel, likely for a draft pick, in order to clear roster space to bring up another forward.
3. Send Marino down for a forward.

Given their evaluation of Marino, I think they'd like him to stay in the NHL and remain a threat to get playing time rather than send him to the AHL.

Reactions: Guentz

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the Pens come out of this with an even remotely decent record give Crosby the Hart for Christmas **** waiting till June.

The only way this team can weather the storm of injuries and come out with a winning record is if they commit to a much more consciencious 200-foot game and work their asses off every shift. Unfortunately, they haven't shown they can do that for more than 1 or 2 game stretches at a time.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Unreal that option is even possible before game 4.

Smart not to. Neither of the two is off to a good start, which I suspect some of has to do with playing some catchup after sticking around so long in camp. Emergency recall would only further exasperate that imo.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it either. Raw and probably wouldn't get much ice anyway. I just saw Andy pining for him in one of the other threads and had to share it with him.

We are going to be desperate for some scoring talent though.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The only way this team can weather the storm of injuries and come out with a winning record is if they commit to a much more consciencious 200-foot game and work their asses off every shift. Unfortunately, they haven't shown they can do that for more than 1 or 2 game stretches at a time.
Agreed.

That is also the only way this team can win a Cup again, so I'm kind of indifferent. Do it and win, or don't and accept mediocrity. Their choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Like I mentioned earlier, having Tanev, Lafferty and Johnson in the lineup will go a long way towards making it difficult on the other team with their speed and tenacity.

These three all play tenacious hockey all over the rink.

Hopefully it rubs off on the rest of the crew, but seeing these guys all play for the big club at the same time is my silver lining right now.

Maybe it will help remind JR what he stupidly moved away from.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Like I mentioned earlier, having Tanev, Lafferty and Johnson in the lineup will go a long way towards making it difficult on the other team with their speed and tenacity.

These three all play tenacious hockey all over the rink.

Hopefully it rubs off on the rest of the crew, but seeing these guys all play for the big club at the same time is my silver lining right now.

Maybe it will help remind JR what he stupidly moved away from.
Imagine this Spring, having Rust in addition to those 3 and Marino on the backend. Could be fun to watch and a major pain in the ass to play against.

I know this place generally has a sckitzo vibe. But this is a little ridiculous.

Its been three games, 4 forwards on IR plus hornqvist in question.

Let them get healthy and dump JJ and everything will even out
I kind of get where people are coming from as far as the same problems still being an issue but I think it's ridiculous to expect these things to be fixed immediately like flipping a switch. I came into the season expecting it to take a month or 2 to start seeing the results.

And that was before the ridiculous injuries.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Imagine this Spring, having Rust in addition to those 3 and Marino on the backend. Could be fun to watch and a major pain in the ass to play against.

Ya I was already thinking about adding Rust to the mix with those three and how much fun it would be to watch.

We have to assume for that to ever happen the org has to get their heads out of their asses about ZAR and actually realize the potential this kind of speed together can do.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only injury that really matters right now is Geno. Hornqvist has looked slow and doesn't have a spot in the top-6. Bjugs is a guy that hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since coming over in a trade. Rust is good, but he's not going to right this ship, or even really move the needle, y'know?

This team is just not very good. If we make the playoffs, it'll be on the back of overwhelming efforts by Sid, Jake and Murray. We'll burn the wick at both ends from like January onward, and we'll burn out before the playoffs again--making us an easy out for whoever gets us in the first round. That's if we make the playoffs. Which, again, relies pretty heavily on another insane stretch of games and exceptional play (and health) from Sid, Jake and Murray.

I don't think that's the proper way to tackle this problem, and it's not a "three games in" problem--this is the same stuff that's been an issue for like two years now. JR ain't fixing it. It all starts by firing the GM and going about things with a new set of eyes and a new approach. If we can't/won't even take that first step, we will not fix this thing and legitimately contend again before Geno and Letang are done in three years, imo.

Reactions: Dominance

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Ya I was already thinking about adding Rust to the mix with those three and how much fun it would be to watch.

We have to assume for that to ever happen the org has to get their heads out of their asses about ZAR and actually realize the potential this kind of speed together can do.
Like you said, there's a silver lining. Not only do we get to watch Laff and AJ, but the chances of the org extracting their heads is increasing. They're being forced to take a look at some of these guys now. Lafferty and AJ, Teddy at 3C, McCann at C. When it's over with, maybe the org decides Bjugstad and ZAR are expendable because of them. I'm already getting the vibe that they want to replicate the Daley move by getting Marino in, so I'm more hopeful than most that they're catching on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad