Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If Laine joins the Habs and produces at a modest 30-30 pace there might not be a single poster here acknowledging that they opposed the acquisition.

What is it about MSL's system that Laine might be reluctant to accept?
good point.. he comes to mtl and scores 30 then what?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
DO. NOT. TRADE. A. 1ST. ROUND. PICK. FOR. LAINE.

Barron/Harris/Struble/etc, fine.

But NO to our 1st round picks.

People saying Laine has mental problems like he is schyzophrenic or something is Pejorative Slured.

How many of you at 25, would have reacted if you lost your dad mid-season? His dad was there to support him live each home games he ever played as a pro and who he was really close with. He took 5 months off.

Why making it so much a big deal out of this? He was sad/depressed call it what you want. At the end of the day, I think its a normal reaction when you loose someone youre so close too.

There was nothing else and thats the end of his « mental problems ».

So cringe to see posters here spewing misinformation like they are controversial blog writers.
100% this. The folks in here talking like he’s some sort of nut job with questionable character who could never survive the fishbowl of Montreal are the nut jobs. The guy lost his father, his best
friend and needed a little help. Completely normal and not a slight against his character or a sign of mental illness or even a lack of resilience.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think he’ll go to the wild. It is quieter. Climate he would understand. Minnesota is very Scandinavian. Not too much pressure. Good team culture as far as I know.
I don't know their cap space. But I'm guessing CLB would have to eat a lot of it. So that the Wild could fit him in.

25 goals? he struggles to make 30 points a season with top 6 icetime

Oh I want to drop kick that guy in the throat lol

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We have them in-house and of course we would support them.

It's a different thing when you are actively trying to put someone into an environment of massive pressure. I wouldn't have acquired Kuznetsov, or even Nichuskin now, it's a bit of a disservice to that individual who is trying to get themselves back on track to put them into one of the harshest environments for pressure or temptation there can be in the NHL.
Ok there is no "Massive pressure" to play in Montreal. That's more than a little extreme and boarderline dramatic lol These players are top athletes, most of the pressure that is applied, is by themselves.

Again, your wording is way over the top.

I live in the sticks. Temptation is everywhere. I can go 2 mins from my house. Buy a gun, buy drugs, get a hooker. I can't buy good poutine though, which is good. Because I'd be f***ing huge, and not in a good way lol

If Monteal was such a "harsh environment". Why aren't more players stepping away from the team? Why aren't more players asking to be traded?

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ok there is no "Massive pressure" to play in Montreal. That's more than a little extreme and boarderline dramatic lol These players are top athletes, most of the pressure that is applied, is by themselves.

Again, your wording is way over the top.

I live in the sticks. Temptation is everywhere. I can go 2 mins from my house. Buy a gun, buy drugs, get a hooker. I can't buy good poutine though, which is good. Because I'd be f***ing huge, and not in a good way lol

If Monteal was such a "harsh environment". Why aren't more players stepping away from the team? Why aren't more players asking to be traded?
I’m guessing Montreal is on a lot of players no trade lists. And it’s not just because of the taxes.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Montreal is in a lot of players no trade lists. And it’s not just because of the taxes.
Yes, that's true. Part of it is ignorance, since they figure the whole province only speaks French. Talk to the players who played here and then left. I talked to Toffoli and his wife. They loved it here. Their biggest regret was covid didn't allow them to visit more of the city. I've never once heard a player leave Montreal and bad mouth the city or the fans. Coaches and management maybe.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I’m guessing Montreal is on a lot of players no trade lists. And it’s not just because of the taxes.

We've pulled a lot of quality free agents and I can't recall any time a player requested a trade from here because of pressure or the city itself.

The only two trade requests I remember are Pacioretty because of a broken relationship with management and Petry because of COVID laws.

We're fine.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The theory of Patrick Laine is very exciting. We have to trust Hughes to determine the reality. If Laine is healthy and focused, I'd love to see him wearing the "CH". But no matter how good he is over the next two years, the real question is what happens next. Laine's contract comes due when we'd need him most – when our team's competitive window is opening. If Laine regains his mojo as a top winger, we'd better hope he chooses to re-sign here at a reasonable cap hit, rather than put himself on the open market as a UFA.
That should be the last of our worry because if he able to make outrageous demand it mean that he had a great first year and he will be a valuable asset and trading him won’t be a issue, if we can’t sign him before the trade deadline we can recoup asset or open cap space for a UFA.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I don't know their cap space. But I'm guessing CLB would have to eat a lot of it. So that the Wild could fit him in.

Oh I want to drop kick that guy in the throat lol
1. Wild have less than 2M in cap space, they are still in that hellscape with 15M going to Suter/Parise buyouts for one more year.
2. If only we had a cement truck and could fill in the radio booth with Stephen A, Skip Bayless, and Shannon Sharpe all inside.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think he’ll go to the wild. It is quieter. Climate he would understand. Minnesota is very Scandinavian. Not too much pressure. Good team culture as far as I know.
Who will the wild move to make room for Laine, Kaprizov, Boldy+, Ericsson EK+ does are there options they don’t have 1M$ in cap space…
And all the big contract have NMC, are there core player or still have significant term their worst contract are on D which are bigger cap dump and CBJ can’t use…

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We've pulled a lot of quality free agents and I can't recall any time a player requested a trade from here because of pressure or the city itself.

The only two trade requests I remember are Pacioretty because of a broken relationship with management and Petry because of COVID laws.

We're fine.
I didn't say we're not fine. This is not something we need to worry about.

But it is something we should take into account when we pursue players.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
But he’s coming off shoulder surgery. Can’t predict what that going to do to his shot.

I didn't even know about this...

Yikes.

If we get him I don't want to see any of our 1st round picks going the other way.

Patrik Laine, the Columbus Blue Jackets forward, recently underwent shoulder surgery described as a "cleanup" procedure. This was confirmed by the team's general manager, Don Waddell, in early July 2024.

The surgery was necessary due to ongoing issues with Laine's shoulder, which have affected his performance. He has faced significant challenges this past season, including a clavicle fracture that sidelined him for a substantial part of the year.

Prior to the surgery, Laine had been struggling with his health, participating in only 18 games and recording a disappointing nine points.The recovery from this procedure is expected to be a critical step for Laine as he aims to return to form in the upcoming season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Laine joins the Habs and produces at a modest 30-30 pace there might not be a single poster here acknowledging that they opposed the acquisition.

What is it about MSL's system that Laine might be reluctant to accept?
And you would be wrong.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
1. Wild have less than 2M in cap space, they are still in that hellscape with 15M going to Suter/Parise buyouts for one more year.
2. If only we had a cement truck and could fill in the radio booth with Stephen A, Skip Bayless, and Shannon Sharpe all inside.
Thank you, I knew they were in cap hell. I just didn't know how bad.

Haha....amen to that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Laine doesn't control where he goes. The only control he has is a 10 team NTC. Jackets will trade him to the team that give them the best return (combined with the least amount of salary to retain).

How do the Wild pull this off? Looks like they have $1.5M in cap space. Probably will try to send Rossi in the package and ask them to retain and still will be short in cap space. Looks difficult to me.

Reactions: calder candidate

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
On Marinaro last night, Eric Engels said the Habs have minimal interest if any in Laine, and that he’s asked around. A combination of his price tag, his poor play (other than goal scoring), and not wanting to jeopardize the good chemistry they have in the room. Says if Habs take him, they’ll probably be asking for a sweetener rather than offer something back.

So maybe we close this thread?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On Marinaro last night, Eric Engels said the Habs have minimal interest if any in Laine, and that he’s asked around. A combination of his price tag, his poor play (other than goal scoring), and not wanting to jeopardize the good chemistry they have in the room. Says if Habs take him, they’ll probably be asking for a sweetener rather than offer something back.

So maybe we close this thread?
????

Your post can be summarized as:

"Eric Engels said"

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
????

Your post can be summarized as:

"Eric Engels said"
engels is usually fairly accurate in org sentiment, if he had said "they're looking to fill a top 6 role and Laine fits that mold" id believe there in on him as well but not at any price.

He's not coming out and saying anything new or earth shattering, but he does usually have a decent pulse on the org overall

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If he averages 60+ pts the next 2 seasons he will be unaffordable to resign, so then what. He made up slightly better for 2 seasons, I don't see how that helps our rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad