Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not being willing to take the gamble on a player is one thing but saying that this KID can’t turn it around is just short sighted. His shot is world class.. you just can’t deny it

Laine would slide into this group well IMO. Would have loads to talent to work with and the 2 year term is perfect IMO. There are risks/rewards to pretty much any trade you make.

Just imagine Laine with Suzuki. Also think about the centers Laine has played with in his career so far? Scheifele is the only true top 2C.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a short contract, the team needs more help scoring goals...the current core deserves a shot in the arm

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Laine would slide into this group well IMO. Would have loads to talent to work with and the 2 year term is perfect IMO. There are risks/rewards to pretty much any trade you make.

Just imagine Laine with Suzuki. Also think about the centers Laine has played with in his career so far? Scheifele is the only true top 2C.
The theory of Patrick Laine is very exciting. We have to trust Hughes to determine the reality. If Laine is healthy and focused, I'd love to see him wearing the "CH". But no matter how good he is over the next two years, the real question is what happens next. Laine's contract comes due when we'd need him most – when our team's competitive window is opening. If Laine regains his mojo as a top winger, we'd better hope he chooses to re-sign here at a reasonable cap hit, rather than put himself on the open market as a UFA.

Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not being willing to take the gamble on a player is one thing but saying that this KID can’t turn it around is just short sighted. His shot is world class.. you just can’t deny it
But he’s coming off shoulder surgery. Can’t predict what that going to do to his shot.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gomez went an entire year without scoring a goal at a 7.3m caphit and still didn’t get ragged on all that bad. I mean, many never liked him, but many remember the run with cammy. Success buys a fair bit of forgiveness in Montreal
Imo.
He was absolutely ragged on. It was a running joke. Two or three times he went to the press and apologized for his play.

And of course success buys you patience in Montreal. But if you slump you’re going to hear it. That’s the nature of the city.

In 93 just before his 2nd cup win, most fans wanted Patrick Roy traded.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Acquiring an undervalued 6'4 center with untapped potential is a dumber trade than acquiring a guy who hasn't matched his initial outputs in the league, will be on their third team and just came out of a mental health assistance program while on a contract near 9m a year?

One was a value play with a lot of upside, this would be a reclamation project, and it only makes sense if it was insanely cheap.
Barron and/or Struble is not something I’d part with for him. Both should have good careers and Barron in particular has some nice upside.

It has to be a pure dump. Harris is expendable so… sure. But that’s the most I’d give for him. And honestly, Columbus should be giving us something to take that contract.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He was absolutely ragged on. It was a running joke. Two or three times he went to the press and apologized for his play.

And of course success buys you patience in Montreal. But if you slump you’re going to hear it. That’s the nature of the city.

In 93 just before his 2nd cup win, most fans wanted Patrick Roy traded.
At the end yes but it took easily 40 games for that to happen.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At the end yes but it took easily 40 games for that to happen.
And Laine comes here with a messed up shoulder and struggles… what do you think happens to him here? All we’ll hear about us him making 8 million for doing nothing. Even if it takes 30-40 games it doesn’t matter. You had people here bitching about Carey Price… you think they won’t bitch about Laine?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
And Laine comes here with a messed up shoulder and struggles… what do you think happens to him here? All we’ll here about us him making 8 million for doing nothing. Even if it takes 30-40 games it doesn’t matter. You had people here bitching about Carey Price… you think they won’t bitch about Laine?
Laine is younger and a lot more skilled than Gomez. It's worth a gamble. I think most fans will understand that. Gomez was a stupid move. He was 29 and was always going to be a 2nd line center at best moving forward since his prime was behind him and he was borderline as a 1st line center in his prime.

Also Ryan McDonagh was a better prospect than Struble and Barron. Would i give Mailloux for laine? Probably not. Would i give Barron/Harris. yeah i'd take the gamble.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine is younger and a lot more skilled than Gomez. It's worth a gamble. I think most fans will understand that. Gomez was a stupid move. He was 29 and was always going to be a 2nd line center at best moving forward since his prime was behind him and he was borderline as a 1st line center in his prime.
I think he’s worth taking at a dump. Nothing more.
Also Ryan McDonagh was a better prospect than Struble and Barron. Would i give Mailloux for laine? Probably not. Would i give Barron. yeah i'd take the gamble.
Let’s not talk about McD. It hurts me when we utter his name. :laugh:

Barron I wouldn’t do. I stil think he has potential. Big skilled fast skating RDs don’t grow on trees.

Harris? Sure.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he’s worth taking at a dump. Nothing more.

Let’s not talk about McD. It hurts me when we utter his name. :laugh:

Barron I wouldn’t do. I stil think he has potential. Big skilled fast skating RDs don’t grow on trees.

Harris? Sure.
Yep
Maybe Barron doesn't pan out but his size, skill, being a RD and haven't yet played 100 NHL games tells me to be a bit more patient

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
But he’s coming off shoulder surgery. Can’t predict what that going to do to his shot.
Valid. More of a forearm use the flex of the stick shooter on his wrist shot. One timer might suffer but the thing is a frozen rope so I can’t see it suffering enough to not get by goaltenders

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Valid. More of a forearm use the flex of the stick shooter on his wrist shot. One timer might suffer but the thing is a frozen rope so I can’t see it suffering enough to not get by goaltenders
Different surgeries so not an exact parallel but CC’s shooting percentage from mid ice dropped from 20 persons to 5. A massive drop. So there’s definitely risk on that front.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
And Laine comes here with a messed up shoulder and struggles… what do you think happens to him here? All we’ll hear about us him making 8 million for doing nothing. Even if it takes 30-40 games it doesn’t matter. You had people here bitching about Carey Price… you think they won’t bitch about Laine?
Price was the only star player on the team spare a few ufa over-the-hills for the longest time. There are quite a few stories to spread the attention these days from all these rookie D’s and young offensive-minded forwards, recent draft picks, etc.

Also we really underestimate how the latest generation of fans are completely different from all these boomer fans who grew up watching all those legendary teams and later relied on the habs to channel depression, a sense of belonging, etc.

I talk to 20 year old women who cite the recent cup run as one of the best memories of their teens and could not care less if one of them is slumping. Kids have infinite things happening in their lives now, not just hockey.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price was the only star player on the team spare a few ufa over-the-hills for the longest time. There are quite a few stories to spread the attention these days from all these rookie D’s and young offensive-minded forwards, recent draft picks, etc.

Also we really underestimate how the latest generation of fans are completely different from all these boomer fans who grew up watching all those legendary teams and later relied on the habs to channel depression, a sense of belonging, etc.

I talk to 20 year old women who cite the recent cup run as one of the best memories of their teens and could not care less if one of them is slumping. Kids have infinite things happening in their lives now, not just hockey.
It’s still a hockey mad city. It still has lots of jerks who don’t mind making dumb comments when you’re out at the supermarket. That’s not going to change.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018

True. And it would be 2 years, not 8.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don’t care that he doesn’t use it,
You should because this is exactly the opposite of what we want and expect out of all of our players.
If we were to get Laine I would hope that would be made abundantly clear to him from the get go,
This is where the disconnect is for me and always has been.
Will Laine go all out like most of our other players have had to do?
I don't care about him driving people into next week but he can dominate space with that size.
I would expect it and given his salary Hughes and MSL would demand it.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It’s still a hockey mad city. It still has lots of jerks who don’t mind making dumb comments when you’re out at the supermarket. That’s not going to change.
Given the risks associated with a blind long-term commitment to a UFA whose capability to endure the Montreal market is unknown, it's certainly more cautious and safe to acquire a short term player to help continue its trajectory until the rebuild leads to a more firm outline of what this team is capable of achieving and what it needs. Using your reasoning, the Habs should not leave spare cap space for UFAs at any time because we simply won't know how the UFA would handle the pressure cooker, infinitely difficult, career-threatening Montreal market that caused Bill Durnan tragic early retirement at age 34 in 1950.

Outside of the UFA market which is, let's face it, not very reliable even in the best scenario the only other way to inject talent into the lineup is to take calculated risks (futures for presents) and then try to retain the players who can endure the diamond-like pressure that comes with playing in his here market -- the same pressure that Alan Walsh cited to deflect from his client Jonathan Drouin's poor performance and personal off-ice troubles. In fact, the two-year "trial" period that comes with Laine is a valuable BONUS and RAISES his value for a team like Montreal and the furnace-like heat the players endure in their quotidian life. If at the end of his deal, at age 28 (UFA age), both sides want to continue the relationship it would've been because both sides enjoyed the preceding two years. If not, then not -- and the long-term trajectory of the team was never affected.

The valuable trial-period makes me think the Habs should pay up to secure his services because the upside is truly great. Obviously "pay up" has different connotations for different people but in my humble opinion I would dare go up as much as offering CGY's 1st + the esteemed and irreplaceable Justin Barron (who could one day even be a full-time NHLer). The trial period is the key to the whole thing -- because Montreal is such a difficult market, you have to be sure.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I think you have a somewhat archaic view of how things in the city are and I think there's been multiple locals in the thread who have given a more updated view of how it's been.

I don't blame you for having the idea that you do but it really doesn't seem like it's particularly a thing either. Even when I was still clubbing, I remember seeing Habs players here and there at nightclubs and no one gave them a hard time or TMZ'd them. And that was 10 years ago.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Dear Kent, please show us you can make a trade, thanks. Stop hanging on to your blueline like its the 77 Canadiens. Harris, Barron, Struble are not the next Robinson, Chelios. LFG
This offseason sucks balls. McGroarty, or Laine then one more tank your for a top 5 and the team is going to be set, but only if you can add players to the mix.

Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you have a somewhat archaic view of how things in the city are and I think there's been multiple locals in the thread who have given a more updated view of how it's been.

I don't blame you for having the idea that you do but it really doesn't seem like it's particularly a thing either. Even when I was still clubbing, I remember seeing Habs players here and there at nightclubs and no one gave them a hard time or TMZ'd them. And that was 10 years ago.
You take the good with the bad. There are perks and pitfalls. That doesn’t mean you’re going to get TMZd everywhere you go.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
Sorry... Meant to reply to ReHabs post above but something went wrong

Guess it depends on the market for him. But I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd if we take the full salary. If they retain 25%, I'd go 2nd + a prospect (Mesar, Farrell...). More than that, I pass. Hear Minnesota and Carolina are interested so that will drive the price up. I'm becoming less and less sure that we will see "la-tite-Laine" in a bleu-blanc-rouge uniform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad