Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Completely different regime than the one that let Drouin's situation play out the way it did. They have a sports psychologist and mental performance coach on staff. Best example of helping with the metal side of the game is Armia this past season. He worked extensively with these professionals and we saw his best hockey in the latter half of the season.

I think it's unfair to label Laine a certain way because he entered the player assistance program, but if he or any other players have issues I think the Habs are better prepared to help with them these days.

Reactions: tazsub3 and 26Mats

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Completely different regime than the one that let Drouin's situation play out the way it did. They have a sports psychologist and mental performance coach on staff. Best example of helping with the metal side of the game is Armia this past season. He worked extensively with these professionals and we saw his best hockey in the latter half of the season.

I think it's unfair to label Laine a certain way because he entered the player assistance program, but if he or any other players have issues I think the Habs are better prepared to help with them these days.
Drouin's situation was simply one example of a player who struggled here. Is it entirely because he played in Montreal? Of course not. But we've seen many examples of it in the past... not every player can handle the pressure of this market.

And I don't think anyone is labeling Laine (at least I haven't) I think people are simply saying that it's a factor that needs to be considered when bringing anyone into this market. Do they have the mental makeup for a tough market like this? We can't possibly know the answer to this but I'm sure it's something that mgmt will take into account.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com

Wild, Habs, Sabres

Come on Kent!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Drouin's situation was simply one example of a player who struggled here. Is it entirely because he played in Montreal? Of course not. But we've seen many examples of it in the past... not every player can handle the pressure of this market.

And I don't think anyone is labeling Laine (at least I haven't) I think people are simply saying that it's a factor that needs to be considered when bringing anyone into this market. Do they have the mental makeup for a tough market like this? We can't possibly know the answer to this but I'm sure it's something that mgmt will take into account.
Pretty bullshit example considering Drouin is one of the very few players to have entered a player assistance program while playing in Montreal. The guy had his issues irrespective of Montreal. But we all know why you keep pounding this tiny drum.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Wild, Habs, Sabres

Come on Kent!
Logically there is a lot to be leary of when it come to Laine: Cap hit, attitude, 200 foot game, injuy history, and more.

But man would it be fun to try him next to Dach with MSL as coach.

Having said that, we know that including the Habs in a rumor is guranteed to increase views of a story more than any other team. So not sure there is real interest from Hughes or if the media are just riding the rumor that he is to get more views.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and Sorinth

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pretty bullshit example considering Drouin is one of the very few players to have entered a player assistance program while playing in Montreal. The guy had his issues irrespective of Montreal. But we all know why you keep pounding this tiny drum.
Most recent example and Price is another. You can go all the way back to Bill Durnan if you want to.

The fact is that Montreal's a tough place to play. Always has been.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nooo! You can’t use this example, it hurts my argument!!

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Most recent example and Price is another. You can go all the way back to Bill Durnan if you want to.

The fact is that Montreal's a tough place to play. Always has been.
Price who was playing through busted legs at the very very tail end of his career, the same Price who signed a mega extension to STAY in Montreal when he could've easily bolted at the height of his game? Yeah another bullshit example.

Bill Durnan who was born before the First World War, yeah great example there too.

Montreal's really tough to play in, that's why you want to keep cap space open so the Habs can sign a UFA next summer to a mega contract without any knowledge of how he'll manage playing in Montreal. Yup, makes sense.
You must've had a field day smearing Drouin during his leave. I'm sorry I wasn't here to witness it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You must've had a field day smearing Drouin as a bad person, as not wanting it enough, as selfish, etc.. I'm sorry I wasn't here to witness it.
Not at all actually. Glad he went to look for help and that he’s found a place where he can be happy playing.

I’m also glad you weren’t around for it as I assume you’d spew just as much nonsense back then too.

Except they don’t, but keep on, keeping on.
Yeah, they definitely do. Columbus from playoff team to basement dwellers. Real great contribution by him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price doesn't count 'cause he's a goalie. Drouin doesn't count 'cause he's French. Walsh doesn't count 'cause he's an agent. Durnan doesn't count 'cause it's too long ago....

It's all schtick and totally dishonest.

• Haha
Reactions: ReHabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No I got it. Your context of points = good. Not difficult to follow
Nope, missed it entirely... too difficult for you, apparently

You really could have checked before saying something this stupid.

The Winnipeg Jets made the playoffs 3 years out of 4 seasons, including the conference finals. The only time they missed was the year after drafting him 2nd overall.
Some posters don't like letting facts get in the way of their (poor) takes, to je to

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sometimes I wonder how Hughes/Gorton feels to be associated to every players on the trade block when they don't calling the the team GM outside inquiring about the price and never pursue further...
I don't think Laine's a great fit for Buffalo. They've got loads of young talent but should be going for somebody a little more of a sure thing. Veteran leadership wouldn't hurt and I don't think Laine brings that to them.

Reactions: Garry Valk

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nope, missed it entirely... too difficult for you, apparently

Some posters don't like letting facts get in the way of their (poor) takes, to je to
“He’s not a veteran stopgap, he’s just one year older than Suzuki” was the original argument. You started throwing out how he has higher counting stats than Suzuki, for some random reason. It’s exactly the point you were making.

I guess some posters have no idea what they themselves are even talking about

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
“He’s not a veteran stopgap, he’s just one year older than Suzuki” was the original argument. You started throwing out how he has higher counting stats than Suzuki, for some random reason. It’s exactly the point you were making.
nope. still completely missing the point. Try reading the actual posts you are replying to, might help with your struggle to understand.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Let’s acquire Ryan Johansen, he’s 5th in his draft year in points. Means he’s an excellent player :laugh:

i'm sure there's a thread somewhere that you can go on about Johansen, Galchenhyuk and all sorts of other irrelevant nonsense that excites you... in this thread, you might want to stick to the subject at hand (Laine), if that's not too difficult for you :dunno:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
That is not the same as asking for a trade.

And no I didn’t make it up. He’s talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal and how crazy it is here. The reason he stopped playing was he was suffering from anxiety issues.

Read what his agent says. In Montreal when things aren’t going well you stop going out. You order in food… And this is almost verbatim what Carey Price said happened to him. There were times he didn't want to go the supermarket, didn't want to go outside in Montreal.

I’m surprised you guys don’t know this already. Montreal is a tough place to play. Probably the toughest in the league.
I remember when Price said he felt like a hobbit and just wanted to stay in his hole. I thought, this boy is not going to be able to handle Montreal. Whoops.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That is not the same as asking for a trade.

And no I didn’t make it up. He’s talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal and how crazy it is here. The reason he stopped playing was he was suffering from anxiety issues.

Read what his agent says. In Montreal when things aren’t going well you stop going out. You order in food… And this is almost verbatim what Carey Price said happened to him. There were times he didn't want to go the supermarket, didn't want to go outside in Montreal.

I’m surprised you guys don’t know this already. Montreal is a tough place to play. Probably the toughest in the league.
Eh, I'm sure we can find similar stories with other cities as well. There's pressure to play in every city, and every city has it's unique reasons for making it a tough place to play when things don't go well. So sure do the due diligence and talk to the player to see if they are someone who will fit into the city, the culture, the room, etc... but I very much doubt as fans we are all that good at judging this kind of stuff.

I mean you talk about Price and not wanting to go to the supermarket yet he still played amazing and his struggles were more about dealing with the pain from injuries/position. Markov was an introvert who didn't like spotlight yet he loved it here anyways. It's just not something we can get a handle on sitting on the outside like we are.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eh, I'm sure we can find similar stories with other cities as well. There's pressure to play in every city, and every city has it's unique reasons for making it a tough place to play when things don't go well. So sure do the due diligence and talk to the player to see if they are someone who will fit into the city, the culture, the room, etc... but I very much doubt as fans we are all that good at judging this kind of stuff.

I mean you talk about Price and not wanting to go to the supermarket yet he still played amazing and his struggles were more about dealing with the pain from injuries/position. Markov was an introvert who didn't like spotlight yet he loved it here anyways. It's just not something we can get a handle on sitting on the outside like we are.
One thing I was thinking about today. Remember when Scott Gomez was on that crazy goal-less streak? There was a restaurant in Montreal that marketed a promo prosmising free drinks on the night he scored his first goal. They had signs everywhere '78 games and counting' or something like that. :laugh: It used to get posted here all the time. I remember all of us having a good laugh. I'm sure it was tough on him though. I don't think something like that would happen in Columbus. Do you?

Nobody is saying that it's impossible to play in Montreal or that you can't have success here. Many players have. But there's a lot of scrutiny and it's not for everyone. It's simply something that mgmt will take into consideration when they look at acquiring players. It can be a very unforgiving place.

Reactions: electron58
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy