Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I will debate hockey with you all day but comments that come across condescending I can do without. I enjoy a respectful dialogue.
While both McGroarty and Mailloux are unproven I am not inclined to trade for a player who is already making demands of the team that drafted him.
Mailloux on the other hand had an amazing AHL rookie season, I watched all 72 games (I have no life). Based on that I would not rush to trade him especially for a player I believe may not want to play in Canada. That's speculation on my part but it feels that way.
And it's a valid opinion. You may turn out to be right on that.
I'm not sure i would do that trade either. But i thought it was at least a realistic and plausible proposal made by the poster.

It's just the reason you initially gave to not make the trade that prompted me to reply.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yes, but what do you estimate the odds to be for Laine becoming a first or second liner, and similarly for Kapanen becoming a third liner?
Like I said it's a trade I would do because I actually think Laine would have a very good chance of finding himself in MTL (>50%). But I can at least understand why someone might say no if they felt he was only at say 10% or less.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Galchenyuk is 6th in his draft year in points. We should really think about bringing him back.

It’s almost as if points aren’t the only thing that makes players good. Unless you honestly think Laine is a better player than Suzuki.

:facepalm:

Context. You missed it entirely.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Regarding Jonathan Drouin,

1) He's French Canadian and from Quebec.
2) Bergevin brought him in as a savior, gave him a great contract, made him franchise center.
3) Sergachev was an overpay and went on to become a respectable second pairing dman.
Let’s revisit (again) what Molson stated on Melnick’s show re: off-season 2017. Habs had a plan w fixed amount allocated to:

- upgrading offense w Drouin “addition” (hence pre-UFA draft trade)

- resigning Radulov & Markov

- replacing Emelin w a veteran Dman via UFA using approx same cap hit

The strategy didn’t work but it had nothing to do with bringing Drouin in as a “savior” or “franchise C”

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So, per The Athletic, the Wild have interest in Laine and rumor is Guerin will try and talk with Laine to gauge his interest. And then in TSN's article reporting they added that Montreal and Buffalo are rumored to be two other interested teams.

There would have to be a lot of money moved for the Wild to make it work (they barely have over a million in space), not sure about Buffalo.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
So, per The Athletic, the Wild have interest in Laine and rumor is Guerin will try and talk with Laine to gauge his interest. And then in TSN's article reporting they added that Montreal and Buffalo are rumored to be two other interested teams.

There would have to be a lot of money moved for the Wild to make it work (they barely have over a million in space), not sure about Buffalo.

It was necessary but man did that double-buyout f*** the Wild's cap situation

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

CBJ beat writer:

The Athletic’s Blue Jackets beat writer, Aaron Portzline, believes the team is looking for a lineup player. “I don’t think they expect a top-six forward, but somebody who can play nightly and make them more competitive,” Portzline told his Minnesota colleagues.
Dvorak + Barron / Harris w CBJ eating $2M would make it work from the sounds of it

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The more you hear Waddell talk the more he seems resigned to not getting the deal he initially expected but man, this feels like such a lay-up so long as Laine is willing.
The Minny rumor started w the pic of Laine wearing a Twins baseball cap.

Michael Rupp of NHL Network:

“The problem I have with Laine is it depends on what kind of team you are. Everything that Minnesota has established themselves to be as far as their identity, working hard and lunch pail, he’s not that. The thing that’s kept Minnesota competitive is everybody’s kind of pulling the same way and there’s no freelancers. I think he would be a freelancer. It could work, but it could be really bad, too.”
IMO MSL is better equipped to handle talented “freelancers” than perhaps any head coach presently in the NHL.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
That would be the hope with Laine. Monahan couldn't have worked out better.

There's no doubting Laine's talent. If he was healthy then there'd be a lot more interest.
Of course and no certainty it happens , just saying on this board before the trade people said Monahan a dead weight even a first is not enough

Surfer72

Oct 18, 2018
You do realize that he's 5th in points & 3rd in goals (2nd gpg) for his draft class?

& that for his career he has double the amount of goals & 100 more points than Suzuki does... Despite only being 1 year older?

Or, perhaps clearly you don't
cool story bro, but get another ticket, you missed the boat completely....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I wouldn’t do this deal. I think Maillioux has the higher upside here. He also plays a premium position. I’m a huge Maillioux fan though.
He plays the premium position AND has had a successful pro year. Pro experience gets overlooked/underrated so often

?????

It supports EXACTLY what I said. Montreal is a fishbowl. His agent went into detail about it and Drouin said 'Until you live it, no one's ready for it.'

Where did I say he wanted out?

Price talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal. He talked about not wanting to go out and the pressures of being here. That doesn't mean he requested a trade or asked to leave. It simply confirms what we already know: Montreal's a tough place to play.
Carey may not have wanted out like many athletes say. But addiction is another way out that doesn’t scream quitter the same way. I refuse to justify fanatic behaviour. These athletes are human at the end of the day

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Perpetual losers are what most of this board aspires for the habs to be. We couldn’t dare give up a prospect like kapanen for Laine. We must continue down the path of deferred winning.

Losing games is the best way to develop Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf. Let’s f***ing go, kapanen must stay. We need as many prospects who will never make the show as possible.
Perpetual losing is what Laine is used to. All of his teams have been shit.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I will debate hockey with you all day but comments that come across condescending I can do without. I enjoy a respectful dialogue.
While both McGroarty and Mailloux are unproven I am not inclined to trade for a player who is already making demands of the team that drafted him.
Mailloux on the other hand had an amazing AHL rookie season, I watched all 72 games (I have no life). Based on that I would not rush to trade him especially for a player I believe may not want to play in Canada. That's speculation on my part but it feels that way.
You've put it in perspective in terms of what to expect with almost all of our young players.
Management can put the positive spin on things and say we are pushing this upcoming year but the reality is we are still evaluating.
I'm convinced our kids are still progressing and we need to let that happen.

Reactions: Tyson

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
It dosen't even matter , I have full confidence in Kent Hughes , I already know if we acquire Laine it's because we will be fleecing CBJ , If not , not a big deal. He is a luxury that we can use to prop up and resell if needed

Yes, I have reservations about Laine myself, but if Hughes feels differently and obtains him, I will completely trust his judgment on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy