Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've been away for a few days , so i'm not aware of the latest rumours . Do we have a legit chance to get him or we're talking about unicorns ?

Idk what to say , Laine used to be a great player in the NHL but right now in 2024 idk ... :huh:
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say that we get him for cheap as Hughes, for idk how ,is able to to screw the CBJ in a trade. Is Patrick Laine the right player to be under Montreal's pressure ?
Laine used to have an eye for the net like no other , but he plays a lazy game and i'm scare that he will become our next scapegoat as soon as the second game of the season .

I'm all for bringing a top 6 vet player to our roster, but i dont think Laine is the right fit for us.

All reasonable concerns...

I think if KH does target him, it'll be with enough homework done on the person to feel confident that he can succeed in Mtl, playing the way the club/MSL want to play.

KH doesn't appear to be the type to go chasing shiny things just for the sake of it. Laine wouldn't be the first highly talented young player to develop some bad habits and run into struggles... If he does buy in and turns it around, he's got that talent to be a top 10 winger in the league.

Laine, Slaf, CC, Demidov... All 4 rolling & That's a lethal group of top 6 wingers

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The fans are anything but super cool when a high paid player struggles. The fans went after freaking Carey Price when he fell on hard times. It is a hard place to play when you’re not doing well.
Where, at his home? At the rink? No, they gave him a hard time on social networks and sites like HFBHabs. Fans did not come up to Price, Gally or any other high priced player who wasn't doing well. Acting like they do here on HFBHabs.

Also, our media are p***yes. Have you noticed how when there's a bunch of them sitting around on TV. They'll bravely slam a coach or player. Yet when they're face to face. All they do is lob softball questions at them.

Price is an introvert, who grew up in a small town. He loves hockey, but would rather go out shopping. With little to no fan fare. He was never able to get used to the attention. What he got were fans that were excited to see him. Ask for autographs, selfies and maybe a little conversation. The whole Montreal is a tough place to play is so overrated it's ridiculous.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I've been away for a few days , so i'm not aware of the latest rumours . Do we have a legit chance to get him or we're talking about unicorns ?

Idk what to say , Laine used to be a great player in the NHL but right now in 2024 idk ... :huh:
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say that we get him for cheap as Hughes, for idk how ,is able to to screw the CBJ in a trade. Is Patrick Laine the right player to be under Montreal's pressure ?
Laine used to have an eye for the net like no other , but he plays a lazy game and i'm scare that he will become our next scapegoat as soon as the second game of the season .

I'm all for bringing a top 6 vet player to our roster, but i dont think Laine is the right fit for us.

Dach covers the ice well. Wonder if he and Laine might be a good pair.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We have extra d prospects: struble, Barron, Hartis.

We also have forward prospects that I'd sacrifice: Mesar, Farrell, Tuch. I'd have to know more about Kapanen and even Beck, and Laine, to part with one of them.

The issue is that they don't really need dmen and I don't think that Hughes would want to trade any promising young forwards in such a gamble.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm with you.
Straight up I don't believe Laine has ever shown the desire to put the work in neccesary to grow as a player...
A stark contrast to what Cole Caufield did coming off his injury.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The issue is that they don't really need dmen and I don't think that Hughes would want to trade any promising young forwards in such a gamble.
I'm with you.
Straight up I don't believe Laine has ever shown the desire to put the work in neccesary to grow as a player...

Hughes knows how to be patient. It would be nice to get another top 6 forward. But, we can wait until next summer or the summer after for the right one.

I would suspect there is a line drawn in the sand in front of Beck and Kapanen. But I would think a package of forward prospects including Mesar, Farrell, and Heineman would be available.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Hughes has made his offer. Of course nobody is talking what it is. Since no deal has been accepted as of yet their is no DEAL Hughes should move on and keep trying other and better options. options that are NOT DAMAGED GOODS. it's not the Habs with a problem. jackets wants out or Laine contract, Laine wants out of Jackets. It's not op to Hughes to offer a golden parachute to get Laine

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'm with you.
Maybe in the past. But there's a recent video floating around where he's training with NFL football players. It's not a long video, but it does show that he's doing something.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In your post where you said “why do you think he wanted out?” I shouldn’t have to read your posts back to you, nowhere did Drouin say he wanted out. He wasn’t offered a contract, we didn’t want him back. You made that up.
That is not the same as asking for a trade.

And no I didn’t make it up. He’s talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal and how crazy it is here. The reason he stopped playing was he was suffering from anxiety issues.

Read what his agent says. In Montreal when things aren’t going well you stop going out. You order in food… And this is almost verbatim what Carey Price said happened to him. There were times he didn't want to go the supermarket, didn't want to go outside in Montreal.

I’m surprised you guys don’t know this already. Montreal is a tough place to play. Probably the toughest in the league.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Where, at his home? At the rink? No, they gave him a hard time on social networks and sites like HFBHabs. Fans did not come up to Price, Gally or any other high priced player who wasn't doing well. Acting like they do here on HFBHabs.
At the supermarkets. In the malls. At the bars... You can't go out when you're struggling and not hear it from people.
Also, our media are p***yes. Have you noticed how when there's a bunch of them sitting around on TV. They'll bravely slam a coach or player. Yet when they're face to face. All they do is lob softball questions at them.

Price is an introvert, who grew up in a small town. He loves hockey, but would rather go out shopping. With little to no fan fare. He was never able to get used to the attention. What he got were fans that were excited to see him. Ask for autographs, selfies and maybe a little conversation. The whole Montreal is a tough place to play is so overrated it's ridiculous.
Montreal is a fishbowl. If you're an introvert or have mental health issues, it's going to be rough on you. It's similar in Toronto but at least Toronto has other sports teams in the city. In Montreal, all the focus is on the Habs.

Is that an enviroment that Laine should be brought into? I don't know the nature of his mental health issues and so I can't say. But they should absolutely factor this in before bringing him here.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

And no I didn’t make it up. He’s talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal and how crazy it is here. The reason he stopped playing was he was suffering from anxiety issues.

Read what his agent says. In Montreal when things aren’t going well you stop going out. You order in food… And this is almost verbatim what Carey Price said happened to him. There were times he didn't want to go the supermarket, didn't want to go outside in Montreal.

I’m surprised you guys don’t know this already. Montreal is a tough place to play. Probably the toughest in the league.
Drouin had these same pressures in Tampa. Pressure that he brought upon himself. This is where his anxiety started. When he came to Montreal, yes more pressure was put upon him. A lot of that, I blame on Bergevin. He pumped up Drouin to the point where expectations were he was going to be the next Mario. Also the final straw for Drouin was probably Covid. Which screwed with a lot of people, messing with their mental health.

With Price, as I mentioned earlier. He's an introvert, who would rather be out hunting or fishing. Than being in public places, surrounded by people. It doesn't matter if the team was doing well or not. Also I'd be surprised if any millionaire hockey player does their own shopping. Also when they go out, to say a restaurant or a club. They're usually put in an area, away from the general public. Sure he couldn't walk into a Burger King by himself without being noticed. But with their money, who the hell wants to eat at BK lol

LG, if your work or family life isn't going well. Do you stay home more, maybe screen calls from friends? Hockey players are the same as us. When things aren't going well. They probably want to stay away from everyone. Even if those people are well wishers.

Yes it is tougher to play in Montreal. But it's no where near what other celebrities have to endure. Can you imagine say being Taylor Swift. Who is constantly hounded by paparazi. Now that's pressure.

Reactions: Redux91 and BLONG7

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
At the supermarkets. In the malls. At the bars... You can't go out when you're struggling and not hear it from people.

Montreal is a fishbowl. If you're an introvert or have mental health issues, it's going to be rough on you. It's similar in Toronto but at least Toronto has other sports teams in the city. In Montreal, all the focus is on the Habs.

Is that an enviroment that Laine should be brought into? I don't know the nature of his mental health issues and so I can't say. But they should absolutely factor this in before bringing him here.
HfHabs fans are unforgiving and impatient, but I think the general fan vibe is understanding. Hughes would get way more grief than Laine if things didnt work out for him here.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin had these same pressures in Tampa. Pressure that he brought upon himself. This is where his anxiety started. When he came to Montreal, yes more pressure was put upon him. A lot of that, I blame on Bergevin. He pumped up Drouin to the point where expectations were he was going to be the next Mario. Also the final straw for Drouin was probably Covid. Which screwed with a lot of people, messing with their mental health.

With Price, as I mentioned earlier. He's an introvert, who would rather be out hunting or fishing. Than being in public places, surrounded by people. It doesn't matter if the team was doing well or not. Also I'd be surprised if any millionaire hockey player does their own shopping. Also when they go out, to say a restaurant or a club. They're usually put in an area, away from the general public. Sure he couldn't walk into a Burger King by himself without being noticed. But with their money, who the hell wants to eat at BK lol

LG, if your work or family life isn't going well. Do you stay home more, maybe screen calls from friends? Hockey players are the same as us. When things aren't going well. They probably want to stay away from everyone. Even if those people are well wishers.

Yes it is tougher to play in Montreal. But it's no where near what other celebrities have to endure. Can you imagine say being Taylor Swift. Who is constantly hounded by paparazi. Now that's pressure.
Read what Walsh wrote about Montreal. "There is no getting away from it."

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Hughes has made his offer. Of course nobody is talking what it is. Since no deal has been accepted as of yet their is no DEAL Hughes should move on and keep trying other and better options. options that are NOT DAMAGED GOODS. it's not the Habs with a problem. jackets wants out or Laine contract, Laine wants out of Jackets. It's not op to Hughes to offer a golden parachute to get Laine
No one suggested we back up the brinks truck for Laine though. Only that, if the ask is light it would be a calculated risk to make an offer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No one suggested we back up the brinks truck for Laine though. Only that, if the ask is light it would be a calculated risk to make an offer.
People said Phil Kessell could never win a stanley cup. But he was a key contributor to 2/3's of Crosby's cups.

The hope would be you can find the right team and the right role for a talent like Laine - and at the right cap hit. I'd like to see him on a line with Dach. Could they hack it over all 200 feet? Would playmaker Dach and Sniper Laine find each other?

And this team could compete for a playoff spot if that Laine-Dach based 2nd line can work:
Caufield -Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Dvo/Newhook
Roy - Newhook/Dvo - Armia
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson
Pez

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris
Struble - Barron

Montembault
Primeau

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Everyone knows this already. There is nothing enlightening about this. It still doesn’t support what you claimed.

Carey Price didn’t “want out” either. Swing and a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium