Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
If the Habs were interested, and the asking price was reasonable, I think the deal would already be done.

I’m paraphrasing another poster, and I forget who said it, but do you see the Habs outbidding teams for a stopgap player? It’s one thing to try to add Jonathan Marchessault for 2 years, local and a recent Conn Smythe winner for nothing but money, but it’s another game, not even the same ballpark, to add Laine at the cost of assets.

He’s an intriguing idea, but at this point I’m not interested in that idea at all cost, or a high cost. Laine’s got the talent and I actually like his personality but I don’t see his current state and risks being a must do move that work with the Habs current state.

A whole Laine thread on the Habs board, much like the Zegras one is also peak cringe, but that’s another debate.
I agree, but since CLB isn't really in a hurry to trade Laine. They have time to play "hard to get". Eventually Waddel will have to scale back his demands. If he wants to move Laine.

For a stopgap player? No, but if Laine bounces back to be 80% of the player he was. He's young enough to be a fit for our team long term.

Marchessault is a stopgap, while Laine has the potential to be more. Also with Laine, I don't think we'd be giving up anything vital. Except salary, similar to Marchessault.

Agreed, I don't want Laine at any costs. But if the cost is reasonable. I'd do it for sure.

lol welcome to the Habs board (Summer edition). Wait until late August, when we start talking about the eating habits of our players. ;)

I still think there is a trade made this summer. Our top 6 is going to have a forward added.
One of the current Dmen in our organization will be sacrificed.
I honestly think so too. All our players are signed. Now is when I think HuGo will start seriously working toward adding that top 6 forward.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Please don't patronize, that's silly and lazy.
I don’t think so. Read the posts. I’m not saying it extends to everyone but it’s definitely there.
The purpose of trades is to try and improve a team (always). In the case of the Habs right now, the biggest weakness in the roster can credibly be argued to be the top six.
Right.

And sometimes people allow impatience to drive what they want. Laine represents a quick fix for what they see as a weakness and so they feel we NEED to get this guy.

I understand it too. We’ve been bad for a long time. Haven’t won a cup in forever. Haven’t been great at getting big UFAs… it seems like this might be the cure all. And honestly, maybe he could really help us. I don’t know anymore than anyone else on that. But I certainly don’t think it’s a no brainer to get him and wouldn’t give up much to find out.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It was perfectly legitimate to think that DLR had bottom six potential. There was a credible argument to be made based on his maturity, skating, size, and defensive IQ. Similarly today it's legitimate to think that Kapanen had bottom six potential.

But if you can trade a potential third liner for a potential first liner, you do it.
100%

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Bigger ice equals boring hockey which is why Euro leagues are so painful to watch. All that happens is the play gets pushed out further from the scoring areas where players are able to skate around and waste time while creating next to nothing. The smaller ice surface creates more turnovers which happen closer to scoring areas and separates the stars from the grunts as only the best can hold on to the puck in traffic. The NHL is a higher scoring league than the Euro leagues and the dip in playoff scoring is directly attributed to the fact that the idiots who run the league allow for a separate set of rules between the regular season and the post season.....it has nothing at all to do with the ice surface being "too narrow"
The reason Euro leagues are boring to watch is because of the quality of players, not the size of the rink.

Reactions: Runner77

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don’t think we’re in a hole at all. Developing team with a young top six ready for the next step.

Again, depends on the ask. I wouldn’t pay more than a 2nd or a throwaway.

As for the risks. He has a problem shoulder. Good chance he could struggle here. His salary would be the highest on the team, that might not sit well. Then there’s the fact that he’s been in player assistance and would be going to the most insane hockey market in the world. It could get ugly pretty fast.

To me, you don’t pay anything for him. Maybe take him as a dump. Even then though, they’d better do their homework on him and his health.

You don't think so but clearly a lot of other fans and the GM disagree about there not being a hole.

Regarding the injuries, yeah, sure, but that's why I wouldn't be worried due to the length of the contract. Regarding the money, I'd say that I'd think really badly of another player who counted another one's pocket when it came to a contract his GM didn't sign. That'd be pretty poor character.

As for the market, meh. The Canadiens are a dead team in the city right now hype/interest wise, feels like it'd be the perfect opportunity. The fans were super cool about someone like Drouin too. I don't think we'd have an issue there.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
If he doesn't score, is he still useful? He hasn't played much in two years. How is his value being measured? Too many unknowns.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You don't think so but clearly a lot of other fans and the GM disagree about there not being a hole.
I think Hugo feels - probably with good reason - that it’s a lot to put on a rookie that he be a regular on the 2nd. It’s not that Roy can’t do it but it’s a lot of pressure. He needs to balance opportunity with pressure here and adding someone who can provide depth isn’t a bad idea.

I just hope he doesn’t add someone who pushes Roy down the lineup too much. But given that there will likely be injuries that means he’ll probably get top six minutes no matter what.

I don’t think this is a huge need though. It’s not a MUST DO. If Roy struggles then we can make some kind of move but I think he’ll be okay.

As I’ve said elsewhere, Dach is the key. So much relies on him.
Regarding the injuries, yeah, sure, but that's why I wouldn't be worried due to the length of the contract. Regarding the money, I'd say that I'd think really badly of another player who counted another one's pocket when it came to a contract his GM didn't sign. That'd be pretty poor character.

As for the market, meh. The Canadiens are a dead team in the city right now hype/interest wise, feels like it'd be the perfect opportunity. The fans were super cool about someone like Drouin too. I don't think we'd have an issue there.
The fans are anything but super cool when a high paid player struggles. The fans went after freaking Carey Price when he fell on hard times. It is a hard place to play when you’re not doing well.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The names doesn't matter, the point being that if we signed Laine, then that's it, there's no more place for any names that could come through trade or UFA.....he's just not the best we can do with the load of asset and cap space we have.
There are so many options to find additional cap space if needed:
- Trade Matheson 1x4.88 would be done in a second if needed
- Anderson will have just 2y left, with some retention you can move him
We will have 29.5m space with 13 signed players. With Laine, it would be 20.8m and you need to sign 9 players. You can have 8 per 1m and you will still have 12.8 for Draisaitl or any UFA you need.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Cap space isn't an issue for the Habs.

Aside from the fact that the cap will go up, Dvorak, Armia, Gallagher, and Anderson are in the latter halfs of their contract, and one of Savard or Matheson will go.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The fans are anything but super cool when a high paid player struggles. The fans went after freaking Carey Price when he fell on hard times. It is a hard place to play when you’re not doing well.
Right, 10+ years ago when the Canadiens were a regular playoff club and the team was on a marketing high due to Pierre Boivin's promotional genius.

These ain't those times. Does Laine even have social media lol?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It was perfectly legitimate to think that DLR had bottom six potential. There was a credible argument to be made based on his maturity, skating, size, and defensive IQ. Similarly today it's legitimate to think that Kapanen had bottom six potential.

But if you can trade a potential third liner for a potential first liner, you do it.
Depends on the odds of reaching that potential. A 99% chance of a 3rd liner is better then a 1% of a first liner and 99% of bust so it's not a good trade. And although I personally like Laine's odds for us I can see why some people might think the odds of Laine being a first liner for us are close to nill.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The reason Euro leagues are boring to watch is because of the quality of players, not the size of the rink.
Hmm, I believe the size of the rink also affects the quality of players. They have more time to commit to actions, which means they don't get to train vision at higher speeds and intensity. Like a weight lifter training with lower weights, because he finds it easier. You typically don't know if a player really has hands, until he's forced to make split second decisions, looking around himself with control of the puck. On a bigger rink, you don't have to make those very often.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Right, 10+ years ago when the Canadiens were a regular playoff club and the team was on a marketing high due to Pierre Boivin's promotional genius.

These ain't those times. Does Laine even have social media lol?
No. It’s a fishbowl today. Always will be. The Canadiens are the only game in town.

Having a crappy year? Go to the supermarket and you’ll hear it from the fans. It’s a very unforgiving market.

Reactions: Redux91

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Hmm, I believe the size of the rink also affects the quality of players. They have more time to commit to actions, which means they don't get to train vision at higher speeds and intensity. Like a weight lifter training with lower weights, because he finds it easier. You typically don't know if a player really has hands, until he's forced to make split second decisions, looking around himself with control of the puck. On a bigger rink, you don't have to make those very often.
Olympic hockey on larger ice with the best players in the world is the best hockey there is.

Reactions: Runner77

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
No. It’s a fishbowl today. Always will be. The Canadiens are the only game in town.

Having a crappy year? Go to the supermarket and you’ll hear it from the fans. It’s a very unforgiving market.

I think I'm one of maybe 10 posters who actually lives in Montreal lol. Trust me, the apathy around the team is real and massive. The young don't care. The team has been in the toilet for years and it shows. It's never been this bad culturally.

Of course, you'll always have assholes online and whatnot, but if you think this city is the fishbowl it was before/during Price's early years, you're just wrong, man.

I mean, did Drouin get smoked or not? The fans were actually really supportive of what he went through.

Reactions: the and Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think I'm one of maybe 10 posters who actually lives in Montreal lol. Trust me, the apathy around the team is real and massive. The young don't care. The team has been in the toilet for years and it shows. It's never been this bad culturally.

Of course, you'll always have assholes online and whatnot, but if you think this city is the fishbowl it was before/during Price's early years, you're just wrong, man.

I mean, did Drouin get smoked or not? The fans were actually really supportive of what he went through.
Drouin got smoked for sure. Why do you think he wanted out?

People care about the team man. Whether the Tik Tok kids are into the team or not. And as the team starts to win again it will only get more intense.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

People care about the team man. Whether the Tik Tok kids are into the team or not. And as the team starts to win again it will only get more intense.

I don't recall Drouin asking out. When did that happen? There's always idiots around but respect/conscience for mental health has really improved over the last ten years.

People care about the team in the same way that any that any big city will care about it's most popular team but if you think the enthusiasm around this club is remotely what it was in the late aughts or in the early 10s, I just don't know what to tell you. Price coming up now would not have remotely the eyes on him compared to when he did.

Anecdotal but I'm 32 and I genuinely can't remember the last time my French-Canadian friends brought up the Habs (let alone the non French-Canadians) and these guys were plugged in during the Price/Subban era.

Of course that will change once the club starts winning (which then the players will be well-liked) but until then, this is a bit of a dead club in town. People have turned their attention towards the NBA, the NFL and European soccer.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Drouin wanted out because people were tired of watching him mail it in and let him have it for those reasons
That said they also were very supportive of his mental health issues

Reactions: Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't recall Drouin asking out. When did that happen? There's always idiots around but respect/conscience for mental health has really improved over the last ten years.

People care about the team in the same way that any that any big city will care about it's most popular team but if you think the enthusiasm around this club is remotely what it was in the late aughts or in the early 10s, I just don't know what to tell you. Price coming up now would not have remotely the eyes on him compared to when he did.

Anecdotal but I'm 32 and I genuinely can't remember the last time my French-Canadian friends brought up the Habs (let alone the non French-Canadians) and these guys were plugged in during the Price/Subban era.

Of course that will change once the club starts winning (which then the players will be well-liked) but until then, this is a bit of a dead club in town. People have turned their attention towards the NBA, the NFL and European soccer.
He stayed in the assistance program and then left. The guy needed a change of scenery.

Montreal and Toronto are brutal places to play. Not only are there rabid fans but there’s tons of media scrutiny as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin wanted out because people were tired of watching him mail it in and let him have it for those reasons
That said they also were very supportive of his mental health issues
The fans were in him all the time until he went into the program. There’s always a whipping boy here and he was it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He stayed in the assistance program and then left. The guy needed a change of scenery.

Montreal and Toronto are brutal places to play. Not only are there rabid fans but there’s tons of media scrutiny as well.

What? Dude, he played an entire season after that and clearly wasn't going to get offered a contract. He then signed a one-year, league minimum deal with Colorado.

I looked quickly online and I'm not seeing anything that says he requested out.

Montreal and Toronto are high-profile market but outside of 1 playoff run, this team hasn't been relevant in like 8-9 years. It's clearly taken its toll and I think a local is clearly better to sense that. That's without getting into the fact that the 82 games are split among rival channels, which makes it a pain in the ass to access.

Reactions: the and rickthegoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium