Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I don't know what was the physical issues with Laine, neither the mental health issue . But what i know is that mental health problems don't mean that the guy need to kill a baby each week, to hit his life partner, or that he's thinking he's an elephant.

Seriously, getting a mental health problem doesn't mean you are crazy for the rest of your life, neither that you are hearing voices, . Look at Drouin, he was too much stressed so he couldn't sleep. Big deal !

Laine gets a 2 seasons contract, Habs have the cap space to pay him, and also need to trade a dman because they have plenty of them. Harris, Barron, Strubble ? we have better players coming really soon . It's also always good to give at least a player when trading because you don't want to get your 50 contracts limit.

Habs take Laine with 1-2 millions $ retention and give Barron salary's + calgary first ( it will be the Florida's one so very late selection )Then it's a 5-6 m$ risk for 2 season.
That said, i would prefer to deal to get McGroarty

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yes, you are making a good point.

It's a 2 year commitment to try Laine out.

No, I don't think Marner is the solution at the cap hit and term he'll command. Though, like Laine, if we could try him out for a year or two and see if he can change with a change of scenery I would do it - over Laine. But that won't happen.

No, I don't think about Draisaitl. He's staying in Edmonton or going to a big u.s. market, sunny u.s. market, or a contender, in all likelihood.

Verheage over Laine. But IFA's command crazy term and cap hits, and it's unlikely he chooses us. There are 32 other teams.

So I take a Flyer on Laine at the right price. If we have the opportunity to add another talent next summer or the summer after, consider buying out Gallanderson or paying futures to move them.

The names doesn't matter, the point being that if we signed Laine, then that's it, there's no more place for any names that could come through trade or UFA.....he's just not the best we can do with the load of asset and cap space we have.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Not at all. The acquisition cost will be minimal, nothing like it took LA to get PLD. And with Laine you can cut him loose after two years if it doesn't work out. With PLD you had to commit to a huge long-term contract.
I wonder why it's not done yet. Why that rumour is running all that time?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Difficult for Laine in Montreal. He's going to be in a fishbowl and has issues and defense problems.

If Hughes is considering Laine, he must be getting a deal on him and flip Laine at deadline

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The names doesn't matter, the point being that if we signed Laine, then that's it, there's no more place for any names that could come through trade or UFA.....he's just not the best we can do with the load of asset and cap space we have.
Yes, you are making a good point.

But, is that it? We have more than 15M in cap space this year and we'll have even more next year with Dvo, Savard, Armia, Petry, and Allen coming off the book, and the Slaf and Guhle extensions being less than those cap hits. So we have enough for two 7.5M players (I don't see Hughes getting Laine without Columbus retaining at least 1.2M).

Also, not sure we'll be able to land a better forward than Laine over the next two years, depending on how good you think Laine can be.

I'd like to see what Laine and Dach can do together. But I fully acknowledge, Laine could be a bust, a one. dimensional player that doesn't contribute up to his cap hit.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Difficult for Laine in Montreal. He's going to be in a fishbowl and has issues and defense problems.

If Hughes is considering Laine, he must be getting a deal on him and flip Laine at deadline

Laine and a 2nd for MTL's 3rd. His contract sucks and it's a high risk picking him up. Just like Mohanan was for us. 🤤

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
One thing we also need to consider is that Dach is coming back he will need some wingers... Newhook, Anderson, Armia, Roy, Gallagher those guy could be a complement on a top 6 but ideally you wouldn't have 2 of them in the top 6 let alone on the same line...

Laine is a PPG player even in his worst season he still close to 30goal pace and .5ppg player.
At first I only cared about keeping the cost to acquire as low as possible, but now I'm thinking that getting retention would really set us up in a perfect position and give us maximum flexibility, even pay more it would be cheapper than unloading Anderson or Gallagher right now, so it would be worth it.

Farrell, Harris, Struble, 2x2nd, 1st (protected), Evans Gallagher I think we could have multiple trade combination that could make sense, the issue is that like us CBJ are stack with D and D prospect...

Reactions: sampollock

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Laine's numbers have been very up and down the last 6 seasons.

Is it due to injuries? Have the injuries permanently slowed him down? Can he stay healthy in the future? A lot of question marks.
is numbers are up and down but they aren’t really trending down… is PPG is still pretty high last season he only played 18game end up with 9pts but the two season before that he was basically ppg, is down seasons are 18-19 still got 30g 50pts in 82 games and 20-21 24pts in 46 games where he got traded. He was injured in the last 3 seasons but can’t really see any reason to think that injuries have slowed him down or that he can’t be healthy in the future… The questions mark is more about is time in the PAP, injuries is more bad luck than anything else

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
is numbers are up and down but they aren’t really trending down… is PPG is still pretty high last season he only played 18game end up with 9pts but the two season before that he was basically ppg, is down seasons are 18-19 still got 30g 50pts in 82 games and 20-21 24pts in 46 games where he got traded. He was injured in the last 3 seasons but can’t really see any reason to think that injuries have slowed him down or that he can’t be healthy in the future… The questions mark is more about is time in the PAP, injuries is more bad luck than anything else

Fair enough but he has also been plagued by questions about his work ethic and attitude and has spent plenty of time in the dog house throughout his career.

I do not think that this is the type of person that Hughes is looking to acquire and put at the top of his payroll. He has always been a troubled player and does not seem to fit the archetype that Hughes covets.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Snobbing a ppg player for a total shit team that has had none since Kovalev would be weird even if he were an alien-worshipping cannibal flat earther.

Heck you have to go back to Pierre Turgeon before that.

Let’s worry about our own mental health.

Last edited:

WG

Sep 9, 2008
What did you think of the Dach acquisition?
I liked the Dach trade just fine. But that was trading for a young player with 5 years of team control.

The biggest selling feature to acquiring Laine is the acquisition cost, he's 2 years from UFA, high salary, assistance program and has asked out of Columbus. KH can take on the full cap hit and can therefore offer less in the way of trade assets.

Up to Waddell if he wants better picks/players at the cost of 2 years eating 2-4M in salary.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Laine will go to a lowkey market, where he will be able concentrate on hockey, play with a team that makes the playoffs. Like the canes or somewhere like dallas even.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
For a board that (rightfully) obliterated Bergevin for being a BargainBin, a lot of you guys are kind of the same lol. It's like clockwork from O'Reilly down. If there's a big name available, this board always talks itself in circle as to why we should be scared shitless to try and trade anything of value for them. It's kind of funny.

I wouldn't give the slightest f*** about trading Florida's 1st for Laine if it gets it done. I'd rather give a weapon to Dach.
Perpetual losers are what most of this board aspires for the habs to be. We couldn’t dare give up a prospect like kapanen for Laine. We must continue down the path of deferred winning.

Losing games is the best way to develop Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf. Let’s f***ing go, kapanen must stay. We need as many prospects who will never make the show as possible.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The biggest selling feature to acquiring Laine is the acquisition cost, he's 2 years from UFA,
That's actually a plus.

If Laine doesn't work out, he can walk.

And if he does do well that he's earned a raise then that's great news !

We couldn’t dare give up a prospect like kapanen for Laine.

You can't make this stuff up.

Can you imagine, if back in 2016, somebody had suggested trading Jacob De La Rose or Lucas Lessio to Ottawa for Zibajenad? A lot of this forum would have said they don't want to give up on DLR, because he might become an average third line C.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Fair enough but he has also been plagued by questions about his work ethic and attitude and has spent plenty of time in the dog house throughout his career.

I do not think that this is the type of person that Hughes is looking to acquire and put at the top of his payroll. He has always been a troubled player and does not seem to fit the archetype that Hughes covets.

That may be. I can't tell you about the locker room stuff. I don't actually know, and I assume that most of the stuff we read is made up. Some players also turn it around as Kovalev and Radulov did on the Habs.

I think the underlying point is that the Habs almost certainly need an impact forward to take a step forward. It doesn't need to be Laine, but he's a decent bet.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's actually a plus.

Can you imagine, if back in 2016, somebody had suggested trading Jacob De La Rose or Lucas Lessio to Ottawa for Zibajenad? A lot of this forum would have said they don't want to give up on DLR, because he might become an average third line C.
It’s beyond absurd. This is nothing like PLD. It’s two years on a buy low candidate for a team missing a top 6 winger. If it works out, he becomes part of the core or you flip him for more magic beans. If it doesn’t, no loss.

Take a f***ing chance, wussies. PLD still had perceived value and would have cost good assets and needed a long term deal like LA gave him. It was a disaster waiting to happen. This has no downside.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's actually a plus.

In fairness to Kapanen, I hope he has a higher selling than DLR. To me it was clear early on DLR had no offense and I was never excited by him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s beyond absurd. This is nothing like PLD. It’s two years on a buy low candidate for a team missing a top 6 winger. If it works out, he becomes part of the core or you flip him for more magic beans. If it doesn’t, no loss.

Take a f***ing chance, wussies. PLD still had perceived value and would have cost good assets and needed a long term deal like LA gave him. It was a disaster waiting to happen. This has no downside.
PLD clearly has huge question Mark's moving forward. Clearly most have written him off.

There's way too much risk in acquiring him long term from my perspective. But if Hughes had other information and thought he and Laine could turn things around, would have been crazy if he had been able to trade Anderson and Gallagher plus some futures for 30-30 PLD and PPG Laine, with retention to bring their cap hits below 7.5M.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - PLD

Anyways, that's irrelevant. Would love to see Dach play with Laine if the Price is right.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
In fairness to Kapanen, I hope he has a higher selling than DLR. To me it was clear early on DLR had no offense and I was never excited by him.
Well this board was claiming we had our Lars Eller replacement when DLR played his first 33 games and amassed 6 points. So you were likely in the minority.

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: