Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The only thing that would make me hesitate is how to fit Laine and Caufield together on the powerplay. Other than than, Laine is precisely the kind of gamble we should be making. A potential core player available for a reasonable price.

This was the logic behind the Dach trade as well.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
115 posts in one day for Laine :laugh:
MORE then PLD????

The only thing that would make me hesitate is how to fit Laine and Caufield together on the powerplay. Other than than, Laine is precisely the kind of gamble we should be making. A potential core player available for a reasonable price.

2 units on the PP. double kill

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Fans showed a tremendous amount of respect for Drouin when he went out, despite everything that came before. And they have infinite patience when legitimate star talent is involved (see: the brief love-in with Kovalchuk). Not wishcasting, I think the Montreal media and fanbase would be very respectful of whatever Laine is going through and would appreciate having a potential high end talent on board.
I think times have changed. It has been a long time since our crowd targetted a one of our players in particular.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

I was thinking about this as well. We are going to have so many assets on the PP in the future.

With Laine in the lineup....our future PP (2025).

PP-1
Hutson
Suzuki
Laine - half wall
Slaf - front of net
Demidov

PP-2
Mailloux
Newhook
Caufield - half wall
Dach - front of net
Beck - secondary faceoff guy

With no Laine....you could move Caufield back up to PP1. Also Dach could be there instead of Demidov, as he will be a rookie. Just so many options.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
I'm getting less and less optimistic for Laine. I think Waddell wants to deal with his buddy Tulsky. He could accept a lesser deal from them while trying to drive the price up for us.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It all seems fine.....so you're sure it's the best we could get with the tons of assets we have for the next 2 years? You won't be here next summer hoping for Draisaitl, Marner or Verheage, right?

If a better player becomes available this season, you won't be here asking to get him too, right?

Yes, you are making a good point.

It's a 2 year commitment to try Laine out.

No, I don't think Marner is the solution at the cap hit and term he'll command. Though, like Laine, if we could try him out for a year or two and see if he can change with a change of scenery I would do it - over Laine. But that won't happen.

No, I don't think about Draisaitl. He's staying in Edmonton or going to a big u.s. market, sunny u.s. market, or a contender, in all likelihood.

Verheage over Laine. But IFA's command crazy term and cap hits, and it's unlikely he chooses us. There are 32 other teams.

So I take a Flyer on Laine at the right price. If we have the opportunity to add another talent next summer or the summer after, consider buying out Gallanderson or paying futures to move them.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Laine in the bumper spot essentially replacing Newhook makes arguably the most sense, but I also don't think it would be a bad idea to simply have a more even split between 2 PPs. We already likely want to give both Matheson and Hutson decent PP minutes so we even without Laine we might be looking at having more equal PP units rather then a main one that play 90s and a secondary one that only gets the last 30s.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hard pass on Laine from this poster, unless it’s a deal for nickels on the dollar. Too much risk (salary cap and injuries) for too little reward.

I’d much rather target McGroarty, and make that deal happen with the Jets. I think it would be addressing a need with a player that can grow and become part of the core forward group moving forward.
I don’t understand why it needs to be either or …. why not both?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So many people wanted to be rid of Lehkonen too, I don't really care.

My simplest rule of thumb is, if reputable beat writers from other markets mention a player as a trade target and not as a cap dump or waiver claim, then that player probably isn't the kind that every team has. Barron and Xhekaj fit that bill, Struble and Harris do not.

Xhekaj has been less effective than Barron in the NHL, and he still has value because he's a big, physical D with good tools. Barron has value because he's a RD with good size, speed and tools. Not every team has them. And while I don't think Barron is necessarily all that valuable, Considering Montreal has zero RD who have been very good in the NHL, I'm not all that interested in seeing them move one for a gamble that they may not even need. And I'm in favour of Montreal acquiring Laine.
Barron and Xhekaj have more upside, a higher ceiling if you will. Harris and Struble remind me of Gorges, though Harris a better skater and puck handler but less physical and Struble more physical. Solid type defenders potentially that a team can certainly use, but lacking the ability to impact a game. And because D with that upside are harder to find, you give these boys every opportunity and hang in until they have been bumped to waiver wire material. And you just dont get enough value back for them enough to justify trading them. Look at the Rags, they hung onto Laffy and Kaako and maybe they would have done better trading Kaako but what a bummer for them if they had traded Laffy. Just ride it out.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I don’t understand why it needs to be either or …. why not both?
Cost associated with acquiring them, and contracts going in the other direction.

Habs have Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Dach, Roy, Newhook, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Evans, Pezzetta, Harvey-Pinard, Barre-Boulet, and Dvorak under contract already. Unless you’re moving a warm body or three out, there’s not enough room to add much (at the moment anyway). And with Anderson plus Gallagher virtually unable to be dealt, there’s only really one or two players that could realistically be moved.

Armia or Dvorak would have to be included in the Laine deal, and I don’t think either holds any appeal to Winnipeg in a move for McGroarty.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Hughes wanted this player it would have already happened.

Hughes doesn't want to overpay and he's trying to find a fit where a team gets stuck and is willing to offload for a cheaper rate. The minute there is 5+ teams in on Laine, the cost goes up due to supply/demand.

I think any GM that is interested is wondering how they can acquire for cheap. Price has probably increased slightly and there is lots of back/forth the Jackets are dealing with several teams. That will take time.

What I do like is Hughes will stick to his long game. If we can acquire with pieces we can spare, he will be all over it. If he can't, he moves on. Simple as that.

Same reply as it was with Dubois, Zegras, Necas, etc. We are interested but not desperate.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
If Hughes wanted this player it would have already happened.
yeah same for McGroarty, people gotta lower expectations Kent isn't going to land a star player, or a former star player in the offseason.

Reactions: Tyson

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Are considering that Caufield is significantly better looking?

I may be a homer but I'd take our Frodo over Laine any day. He's younger, cheaper, has a great work effort and attitude, and as you say cute as a button. :)

Caufield's shot could potentially be just as elite as Laine's, we shall see how he rebounds from his surgery after last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
[Habs fans when faced with the possibility of having to root for a player who sought treatment for mental health issues] Hmm, so what do we think, does he flagrantly abuse the demon rum, crack cocaine, black tar heroin, or prescription stimulants?
If only everyone was a saint like you 🤮

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Id take a gamble on Laine more than I would have on PLD
Yes but mainly because of term.
It's funny they were traded for each other and have had similar issues fitting in ever since.
When the trade happened a lot of people called it a wash.
The big winner in all this is the Winnipeg Jets who managed to avoid getting burned by either of them.
Columbus aren't going to get much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium