Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I think Montreal would be the worst place for Laine of any team he could get traded to, the Media and the portion of our fans that are absolute idiots would drive him back into the PAP so no point giving up assets for him and for his sake hope he goes somewhere else
Or a big market like Montreal is exactly what he needs considering hes played in the 2 smallest markets in the league and it didnt work out

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I think Montreal would be the worst place for Laine of any team he could get traded to, the Media and the portion of our fans that are absolute idiots would drive him back into the PAP so no point giving up assets for him and for his sake hope he goes somewhere else
Most idiots I read are here on hf talking about how hab fans suck all the time.

Thank goodness hockey players play a niche sport and don’t play basketball, baseball, football or soccer if true they can’t take the attention (I don’t believe it).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
This thread makes me happier than the Dubois one. In saying that I’d say no thanks to Laine unless it’s cheap so I chose the first option

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Hard pass on Laine from this poster, unless it’s a deal for nickels on the dollar. Too much risk (salary cap and injuries) for too little reward.

I’d much rather target McGroarty, and make that deal happen with the Jets. I think it would be addressing a need with a player that can grow and become part of the core forward group moving forward.
I'd do both. McGroarty could start on the third line with Newhook. Laine on the 2nd line with Dach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Difference being where Montreal sits in their competitive window. When the team had God-mode Price, trading 20-30 OV picks and the substandard 'prospects' that Timmins et al collected was easily worth it to add to a team that needed the help to get over the top. But alas, MB thought that trading 4th rounders for Dwight King was good enough.

Montreal won't win the cup this year, so adding Laine isn't an urgent need, but if they are going to progress, adding a top 6 forward with only a 2-year commitment is appealing, vs going 4-5-6 yrs on UFAs this year. As you say, he'd help Dach and the roster as a whole.

But it isn't Florida's first just yet. Calgary might be bad but it's not hard to conceive of a scenario where they are in the mushy middle and Montreal gets the Calgary pick. Would you trade 12 OV for Laine?

I'm fine taking Laine for middling assets at full cap hit, the team doesn't desperately need the cap space this year or next. One of the 2nds and a Harris type doesn't hurt. That's the stick KH can use moreso than other suitors, if Waddell is dead set on clearing PL's salary and not being stuck with two years of retained salary.

And who knows, maybe Laine recovers his form and KH has bought himself a 30G winger for not much.
Agree pretty much across the board. And no, trading the 12th overall for him is not something I’d want to do. :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Cc - Suzuki - Slaf
Demidov - Dach - Laine
Roy - Beck/Kapanen - Newhook

It all seems fine.....so you're sure it's the best we could get with the tons of assets we have for the next 2 years? You won't be here next summer hoping for Draisaitl, Marner or Verheage, right?

If a better player becomes available this season, you won't be here asking to get him too, right?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
If anyone here is like me, wondering what he was doing on the Player Assistance Program..

Patrick laine player assistance program​

• Entry: Columbus Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine entered the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program on January 28, 2024, to focus on his mental health.
  • Reason: Laine had been struggling with mental health issues and had previously pledged to donate $1,000 to OhioHealth for mental health resources and support in the Columbus area.
  • Timeline: He was out of the program for an indefinite period, but eventually cleared to return on July 26, 2024.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If anyone here is like me, wondering what he was doing on the Player Assistance Program..

Patrick laine player assistance program​

• Entry: Columbus Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine entered the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program on January 28, 2024, to focus on his mental health.
  • Reason: Laine had been struggling with mental health issues and had previously pledged to donate $1,000 to OhioHealth for mental health resources and support in the Columbus area.
  • Timeline: He was out of the program for an indefinite period, but eventually cleared to return on July 26, 2024.
[Habs fans when faced with the possibility of having to root for a player who sought treatment for mental health issues] Hmm, so what do we think, does he flagrantly abuse the demon rum, crack cocaine, black tar heroin, or prescription stimulants?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh you’ll stop calling him an overrated headcase with bad character and poor professionalism?
I’ll still think that but cheer for him to score. Is that difficult to understand for you? I mean damn me for having an opinion on a player.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It all seems fine.....so you're sure it's the best we could get with the tons of assets we have for the next 2 years? You won't be here next summer hoping for Draisaitl, Marner or Verheage, right?

If a better player becomes available this season, you won't be here asking to get him too, right?
It's foolish to plan on signing a UFA years out given that not only do most simply re-sign with their team, but even if they hit FA there's going to be only a small chance that they would take our offer over all the other teams.

But even so we could take on Laine's full cap hit, give 15m contract to Drasaitl and still come in under $90m which would be under next years cap anyways. There's some legitimate reasons to not want Laine, but the cap next year just isn't one of them.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I’ll still think that but cheer for him to score. Is that difficult to understand for you? I mean damn me for having an opinion on a player.

Yeah, both things arent exclusive.

But, I don't think you'll have to cheer for him as I don't think he's a target. He just doesn't check any of the usual boxes aside from size. He's passive, he's not inexperienced like Newhook/Dach where you can mold them into the players you want, by all accounts he seemed like a bit of a weirdo with past lockerroom issues and there's nothing to suggest he has the mental makeup to survive and thrive in Montreal. I actually think that if Hughes wanted him, he'd already by a Canadien. I could be wrong, but I just don't see, it would surprise me.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Me too but Laine is pretty similar to PLD as a risk factor. I would not want Hugo to pay something similar to what the Kings paid. Afterall, Habs can skip on Laine and I will enjoy my day. I'm not crazy with risks at this point of rebuilt.
Yeah , I just don't see it as a big risk either , 2 years and he goes to UFA.

I'd actually acquire him at his full cap hit and reflip him at 50% next deadline like we did with monahan lol but thats a little bit too video game like to happen in the real world

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Me too but Laine is pretty similar to PLD as a risk factor. I would not want Hugo to pay something similar to what the Kings paid. Afterall, Habs can skip on Laine and I will enjoy my day. I'm not crazy with risks at this point of rebuilt.

Not at all. The acquisition cost will be minimal, nothing like it took LA to get PLD. And with Laine you can cut him loose after two years if it doesn't work out. With PLD you had to commit to a huge long-term contract.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Imagine if he was called Patrice Laineux
Lol, if his first name was Pure, the "pure laine" fans would love him. :laugh:

Nahh, seriously, the french die hard fans are not that stupid. They love Suzuki and Caufield, like they loved Koivu, Markov and Kovalev in the past. Sure there are few bigots here, like with any other ethnic groups. Quebec is not worse than anywhere else. Unless you're reading only the Gazette and the Suburban, lol. Just look at all the negative posts from french fans about PLD in the past, french fans have a diversity of opinions.

Not at all. The acquisition cost will.be minimal, nothing like it took LA to get PLD. And with Laine you can cut him loose after two years if it doesn't work out. With PLD you had to commit to a huge long-term contract.
If the cost is minimal yes. But with 31 other teams at the table, I doubt the cost will be Barron and a Calgary pick. The projected production of Laine in a good environment is much higher.

Reactions: BLONG7

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You mean like us, but so many want to be rid of him? Look, he's got some potential, but this contract is his last chance with us. He's not been very good in the NHL yet.

So many people wanted to be rid of Lehkonen too, I don't really care.

My simplest rule of thumb is, if reputable beat writers from other markets mention a player as a trade target and not as a cap dump or waiver claim, then that player probably isn't the kind that every team has. Barron and Xhekaj fit that bill, Struble and Harris do not.

Xhekaj has been less effective than Barron in the NHL, and he still has value because he's a big, physical D with good tools. Barron has value because he's a RD with good size, speed and tools. Not every team has them. And while I don't think Barron is necessarily all that valuable, Considering Montreal has zero RD who have been very good in the NHL, I'm not all that interested in seeing them move one for a gamble that they may not even need. And I'm in favour of Montreal acquiring Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium