Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
For a board that (rightfully) obliterated Bergevin for being a BargainBin, a lot of you guys are kind of the same lol. It's like clockwork from O'Reilly down. If there's a big name available, this board always talks itself in circle as to why we should be scared shitless to try and trade anything of value for them. It's kind of funny.

I wouldn't give the slightest f*** about trading Florida's 1st for Laine if it gets it done. I'd rather give a weapon to Dach.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
For a board that (rightfully) obliterated Bergevin for being a BargainBin, a lot of you guys are kind of the same lol. It's like clockwork from O'Reilly down. If there's a big name available, this board always talks itself in circle as to why we should be scared shitless to try and trade anything of value for them. It's kind of funny.

I wouldn't give the slightest f*** about trading Florida's 1st for Laine if it gets it done. I'd rather give a weapon to Dach.

For a lot of players I'm down, it's necessary to give quality to get quality. However for the 2 biggest conversations over the past year on here the two players, PLD and Laine, aren't worth giving quality for. Both have among the biggest questions of character in the NHL.

I hope they aren't even in discussions for this guy, unless he's essentially free and even then I might still not want him. I'm not interested in having a diva with a bad attitude like Laine in the dressing room with the culture we have, it's just not worth it.

Add to the fact he's fresh out of the assistance program, but it's not a 'problem' according to the fanboys and it's a recipe to gtfo of discussions and look for alternatives.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Dach needs a guy that can shoot. Newhook is not that guy

Next year, our top 6 should be building on Demidov, Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Dach.
That's 5 out of 6 spots....only one left. Dach will have his shooter in 12 months no matter what.

And Newhook was on pace for a 22 goals season as a 22 years old last year.
Caufield just put up a 28 goals season as a 22 years old.

They both have still a whole lot of room to grow.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'd take him if it means Anderson or Gallagher going the other way. Gallagher wouldn't wave for Columbus though. I'm sure he wants to stay here.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He was on pace for 22 goals playing most of the time without a centre.
He's a Gionta type on the wing, with garbage goals on one timers. He'll come and go, be on a drought or heating up. I'd rather have another sniper even if it's just for 1 season. Also Newhook isn't a physical presence anywhere on the ice, leaving Dach to be the room maker. That I don't think is ideal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Can't really trade the Calgary 1st round pick until you know what it is.

If the deal is with us I doubt there would be any retention, we don't need it and if CLB is retaining they can probably get a "better" offer from someone else.

One of the young already in the NHL Ds does make sense for CLB, they want NHL players so they can get out of the basement and it looks like their current bottom pairing has 37 year old Jack Johnson so whichever of Struble/Harris/Barron it would be it's an upgrade there.

That said my expectation would be they trade for a similar "star" in need of a change in scenery type player. So I would expect them to try someone like Zegras or maybe Norris if Ottawa has given up on him.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

If the deal is with us I doubt there would be any retention, we don't need it and if CLB is retaining they can probably get a "better" offer from someone else.

One of the young already in the NHL Ds does make sense for CLB, they want NHL players so they can get out of the basement and it looks like their current bottom pairing has 37 year old Jack Johnson so whichever of Struble/Harris/Barron it would be it's an upgrade there.

That said my expectation would be they trade for a similar "star" in need of a change in scenery type player. So I would expect them to try someone like Zegras or maybe Norris if Ottawa has given up on him.
Sure you can, just put crazy conditions on it just like Calgary did.

It's way too much, he won't get anywhere close to a 1st plus.

Every day I'm thankful the Habs brass isn't impatient like many in our fanbase are. They haven't given in to fan pressure at all and I think that's their greatest attribute so far.
Bet they do.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I prefer 2x2nd or 2nd + a guy like Harris or Farrell but, I would be willing to give up a first (it would need to be protected) if we were to get him 50% retain.
A 1st is what you pay for a avg. top 6 rental, Laine is a premium top 6, you get 2 years.
We could fit him without going to LTIR that would open up tons of possibilities for us at the TDL and next season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

No one would want Norris. He will never be healthy.

I hope they don't trade for this guy. Go bug the Caps for Oshie or Backstrom instead.
No interest in either of them.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Absolutely not, stay away from Laine at all costs. Guy has failed at two different organizations, for personal reasons or not...3rd time isn't always a charm.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not to overrate them, but I think you're underestimating the dearth of RD if you think every team has a Barron.
You mean like us, but so many want to be rid of him? Look, he's got some potential, but this contract is his last chance with us. He's not been very good in the NHL yet.

Alot of folks seem to really underestimate Jayden Struble who has beastly upside. I am somewhat surprised

He's really not valuable though.

I’d be okay with Harris. Not the other two.

I don't really care about either. They aren't valuable players. If one breaks out, fantastic. I won't hold my breath. Every team has players like them.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Laine is the kind of guy I would acquire for a playoffs run, but not for building a team long term like we are doing. The guy is a catastrophe waiting to happen (again).

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Why do we need to rush a trade for that guy and why CLB would want one of our 6th defenseman who is not even waiver exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium