Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If we don't pay much to get him and he is a flop, the only tangible issue is if he ties up Cap so that we can't sign or trade for someone else. Term is short.

There could be intangible issues though. I mean we have a great group of young guys and we don't need " characters".

Upside is he does well and we sign him long term or we trade him for a lot more than what we paid to get him.

Offer a 2nd for an unretained Laine.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I had been following him when he went to Winnipeg. He has an aimed wrist shot and hard as a slap shot. he seemingly scores at will. His health issues is what stopped him. Dont know anything about these addiction rumors though..
Sample video: he would be ideal for a PP scorer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Been on vacation and will continue to be so till the end of August but at @Rapala’s request, I’m starting this thread and poll to make sure that Laine doesn’t metastisize in every other thread

Add your Laine news and opinions here

I'd do the Calgary 1st if Anderson was going the other way.

But that 1st is a lot to give up. I'm not happy with the Mesar pick at 26. But Hughes did well to package the last two late 1sts with 2nds to get Newhook and Hage. I think he'll do at least as well with the Florida 1st. Really looking forward to next year's draft.

But I'd like to see what Laine can do with Dach. Laine remains an elite talent, despite other issues. I think Dach covers enough of the ice to make up for Laine's shortcomings.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can get him for basically nothing. Waddell wants to dump the contract.
I'm not saying you are wrong about this. But how do you know this. Sather wanted to dump Gomez's contract and one GM stepped up and offered him Higgins, McDonagh, and more. It only takes one GM to set the market.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Team that needs offence and not up against the cap wants to dump a player people here deem elite.
Oh he's elite - if his body hasn't deteriorated.

If they want prospects, I'd put Bogdan and Kapanen on the table. They are long shots, regardless of perceived potential.
We definitely have a long list of secondary prospects to put together a package with.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not saying you are wrong about this. But how do you know this. Sather wanted to dump Gomez's contract and one GM stepped up and offered him Higgins, McDonagh, and more. It only takes one GM to set the market.
We know nothing but I know Laine wants out and a smart GM wants to rid himself of a huge cap hit.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’d be surprised if Montreal traded the Calgary/Florida 1st this offseason. It’s too much of a wildcard right now. I expect it’ll be a later 1st from Florida but who knows, maybe Calgary does better than expected and it’s a pick in the 11-15 range or two long playoff runs take their toll on Florida this upcoming season.

Also if Columbus doesn’t retain I don’t think they’ll get as much as posters here think. If Montreal does trade for him without retention I’d think there would be a contract or two going back. Maybe Dvorak and Harris or Struble for Laine. That would keep them under the cap without having to put Price on LTIR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium