Speculation: The All-Encompassing Leafs Thread - is this it for the Core 4?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
marner and tavares have NMC.
So before anyone sends them anywhere,
think about where they might like to play, who needs them,
who has the assets etc.
I imagine it's Marner.
Tavares might just stay and maybe sign a team friendly deal

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we're basing who gets moved after that last shift...

Nylander, Rielly and Marner are all gone.

That's why this thread is here right? Jokes though, Nylander is going no where.

Keefe and Shanahan need to get gone. Treliving hasn't even unpacked his bags yet, but looking at how Calgary was left...I'd have concerns there too.

Marner gets a lot of flack, and rightfully so sometimes, but he is for sure a sacrificial lamb. NMC of course ties the hands of the Leafs.

Rielly needs to get gone too. I know he is not the problem with the team as a whole, but he's not earning his paycheque. Frankly, the whole defensive system needs to be ripped up from the ground and rebuilt, and he's the emblem of what's wrong with it. NMC, again.

Tavares isn't worth his cap hit. His NMC (notice a trend?) and full cap hit are huge problems for the Leafs.

Samsonov, Brodie, Edmundson, Lybushkin, Domi and Bertuzzi are all likely gone as UFAs, and I don't think a lot of the depth guys (Woll, Reaves, McCabe, Liljegren, Jarnkrok, Timmins, Kampf, Knies, Robertson, etc) are a lock to be moved either. Move some of the big names, use the cap space on less expensive forwards, two way and defensive D, and an upgrade to goaltending (no disrespect to Woll).

If NMCs can be waived, that's almost 50 million to rebuild the roster around Matthews and Nylander, with three top six forwards, two top pairing defensemen and a top end goalie needed to fill out the roster. If they don't start dropping 11 million on each position, I think the Leafs would be far, far better off.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Trade him to The Jets for Ehlers and a D prospect.

Soft player for soft player. Both complete no-shows in the playoffs.

That leafs just need to get his salary off the books. The return is not the priority.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
And what does THAT look like?

I would be furious if "my team" paid Marner $90+ million over 8 years. And you know the Marner camp believe the little dancing fellow is worth that much.
Someone will….you know some idiot paid Huberdeau 10.5M for similar performance

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trade him to The Jets for Ehlers and a D prospect.

Soft player for soft player. Both complete no-shows in the playoffs.

That leafs just need to get his salary off the books. The return is not the priority.

Zero chance of that happening, absolutely zero why even suggest it.

Reactions: Snowman and Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Zero chance of that happening, absolutely zero why even suggest it.
It's not just this post season though. It's a repeated trend over the past few playoffs. His last great performance was vs the Oilers in the bubble

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
There's not a lot the team can do at this point. Five players have no move clauses so they can't be traded. Even if the players were willing to waive who wants to take on those contracts?

Luckily 13 players are UFAs and their departure can free up cap space and roster spots. The advantage there is that you can sign some cheap free agents and make a couple of waiver claims to fill some spots.

A full textbook rebuild isn't really possible as long as they're still making it into the playoffs.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's not a lot the team can do at this point. Five players have no move clauses so they can't be traded. Even if the players were willing to waive who wants to take on those contracts?

Luckily 13 players are UFAs and their departure can free up cap space and roster spots. The advantage there is that you can sign some cheap free agents and make a couple of waiver claims to fill some spots.

A full textbook rebuild isn't really possible as long as they're still making it into the playoffs.
Leaf fans acting tough like they can force Marner / Tavares to waive their NMC's. And maybe Treliving can. But when players extort the Leafs for the max salaries (Marner / Nylander / Matthews) and NMCs during their contract renewals, the same fans cry foul.

This is why hockey is considered a business in the eyes of the players. They have very little loyalty to the team/fans because the team/fans have very little loyalty to the players, especially when they don't meet their lofty expectations.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tavares and Marner tell Tre to stuff it if asked to waive.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Ledge And Dairy

His buyout is really friendly, I wonder if they go that route
1714949105174.png

Um what? it saves them 606k in cap space. Not even enough to sign a league min player

Reactions: SEALBound

Ledge And Dairy

HOW do you do a hockey trade for Marner?

MASSIVE salary on a one year term with complete control over the destination and an increasingly horrid reputation to boot. What GM is going to risk it?
How do you do anything but a Hockey trade for Marner? GM's will look at his skill as a player and think he can probably figure it out if he's not in the Toronto market. You can also probably facilitate a 3 team trade where Marner is retained on as long as the deal is after his SB is paid

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How do you do anything but a Hockey trade for Marner? GM's will look at his skill as a player and think he can probably figure it out if he's not in the Toronto market. You can also probably facilitate a 3 team trade where Marner is retained on as long as the deal is after his SB is paid
The question is which markets would Marner want to sign with. It probably starts with FLA, Tampa and Vegas. I doubt it’s a long list after those 3.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Leaf fans acting tough like they can force Marner / Tavares to waive their NMC's. And maybe Treliving can. But when players extort the Leafs for the max salaries (Marner / Nylander / Matthews) and NMCs during their contract renewals, the same fans cry foul.

This is why hockey is considered a business in the eyes of the players. They have very little loyalty to the team/fans because the team/fans have very little loyalty to the players, especially when they don't meet their lofty expectations.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tavares and Marner tell Tre to stuff it if asked to waive.
I don't think any Leaf fan is thinking that they're going to "force" Marner to waive his NMC.... simply acknowledging that Marner's time in Toronto probably needs to come to an end, and recognizing that it's best for both sides to work out a trade, rather than have him play a lame duck year, and have his preferred destination or two make other arrangemetns for the cap space they need for him.

Put yourself in Marner's shoes for a sec. You are becoming a little bit of the villian / whipping boy in your hometown.

The GM comes to you and says "Mitch, I think we need to make a move, the cap structure of the team just doesn't work to pay you what we know you want on your next deal, so it's a situation where we play out the year and you go to UFA, or we work together to find your next home, and you give me a couple of teams to work with."

You, as Mitch Marner, are going to tell the team to stuff it???

As for Tavares, I think most Leafs fans realize it's a pointless endeavour. You'd need double-retention for him to hold much value, and I think the Leafs probably have the mindset of resigning him for a much less expensive contract, knowing that at this point, he probably just wants to be in Toronto at all costs. He's also in a little bit of a different situation family wise with a bunch of young kids vs. Marner who's recently married.

Don't get me wrong, there's a price that Marner could re-sign at which would make me want to keep him; but at 28 years old, I don't expect that he'd even consider that type of contract. Tavares has his $100m in career earnings, and will be 34.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The question is which markets would Marner want to sign with. It probably starts with FLA, Tampa and Vegas. I doubt it’s a long list after those 3.

I'm sure Marner and his agents have access to capfriendly and can probably figure out that even though it's a desirable place to play, Vegas definitely doesn't have a way to fit him in, and Florida probably won't have a way to fit him in if they sign Reinhart.

Tampa an interesting potential fit, although may not want to stay in Toronto's division.

Personally, I think teams like Dallas, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York Islanders, and Pittsburgh make a little more sense.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I would like the Flyers to trade Konecny and Ristolainen for Tavares if Michkov came over just to give a decent center for a season. The salary exchange is about even.

I just can't imagine Tavares waiving his contract to play for Tortorella and the sorry Flyers.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would be shocked if Marner started next season in a Leafs uniform. The writing is on the wall, he needs to be moved no matter what Treliving has to do to make it happen. This should be his #1 priority on his to do list. My prediction is that it won’t be a happy exit for Mitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad