Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
First Zeev Buium, and now a guy named BADINKA? Man, the guy making up names for this draft got lazy AF this year.
  1. Like several other clubs, the Colorado Avalanche lack a right-shot defenseman in their prospect pool. One option worth considering is Dominik Badinka of the SHL's Malmö Redhawks.
    Badinka, 18, sits 14th among International skaters on NHL Central Scouting's rankings. The 6'3" 190-pound Czech blueliner had four points in 33 games with the Redhawks and 13 points in 17 games with their J20 Nationell squad.
    Pronman believes Badinka has NHL attributes between his size, mobility and ability to make offensive plays. Ellis cited his solid hockey sense and calm demeanor.
    Badinka is under contract with the Redhawks through 2025-26. That'll give him more time to improve his game playing against Swedish professionals and potentially pave his path to the NHL.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He should have it changed. I know I would. Bacon is better.
Bah, I hate it when Russians just kinda roll over an "Anglicize" their names because they don't think we can handle how to pronounce the Cyrillic letters Е, Ё, and Я (it’s “ye,” “yo,” and “ya” if you’re curious). Shesterkin’s name was originally spelled “Shestyorkin” which is more phonetic Russian pronunciation but I guess he got tired of North Americans butchering it. Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin did something similar when he changed it from Yemelin.

The one time the exact opposite happened was when Varly was set to be drafted. I’m sure you remember “Semen” Varlamov. Yeah it quickly got changed to Simeon and then Semyon, which is much closer to the proper pronunciation. :laugh:

So in short, no bacon this time please.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bah, I hate it when Russians just kinda roll over an "Anglicize" their names because they don't think we can handle how to pronounce the Cyrillic letters Е, Ё, and Я (it’s “ye,” “yo,” and “ya” if you’re curious). Shesterkin’s name was originally spelled “Shestyorkin” which is more phonetic Russian pronunciation but I guess he got tired of North Americans butchering it. Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin did something similar when he changed it from Yemelin.

The one time the exact opposite happened was when Varly was set to be drafted. I’m sure you remember “Semen” Varlamov. Yeah it quickly got changed to Simeon and then Semyon, which is much closer to the proper pronunciation. :laugh:

So in short, no bacon this time please.
I liked Simeon better.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I liked Simeon better.
Me too but if yer goin' for proper pronunciation then "Semyon" is the way to go.

The other one that drove me nuts was "Nail" Yakupov. Obviously his impact in the NHL was pretty minimal but broadcasters and other people who covered the game had to know he wasn't named after those pointy metal things you get at the hardware store.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Me too but if yer goin' for proper pronunciation then "Semyon" is the way to go.

The other one that drove me nuts was "Nail" Yakupov. Obviously his impact in the NHL was pretty minimal but broadcasters and other people who covered the game had to know he wasn't named after those pointy metal things you get at the hardware store.
He may not have been, but he had similar intelligence.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
I like it. A big RH shutdown, 2nd pair D-man.

No. 25: Colorado Avalanche — Harrison Brunicke, D (Kamloops Blazers, WHL)

From Flo Hockey:

Harrison Brunicke, D, Canada​

With good skating ability and agility, Brunicke defends very well. Canada used him in a shutdown role, getting a lot of tough matchups and he handled it very well. He also showed some decent touch on the puck, making a good first pass and keeping things simple. He’s not going to be a major point producer, but I could see a lot of teams feeling more comfortable taking him fairly early on Day 2, especially as a 6-foot-3, right-shot defenseman.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you're going for that type, consider Elick too. He's a much better skater and loves the physical part of the game much more... while having better offensive tools (sans shot).

On that list, I'd prefer Jiricek by a mile. And whoever takes a chance on Mews is going to be rewarded big time.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
If you're going for that type, consider Elick too. He's a much better skater and loves the physical part of the game much more... while having better offensive tools (sans shot).

On that list, I'd prefer Jiricek by a mile. And whoever takes a chance on Mews is going to be rewarded big time.

Charlie Elick's Player Profile​

Rachel Doerrie - ESPN - April 2nd: "His offensive rush and transition play have taken big steps this year, but he projects as a rangy, shutdown defenseman who is a nightmare to play against. He'll need to develop his instincts and continue to evolve his transition game, but Elick has an attractive package of functional size, mobility and a mean streak that's a mile long."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - March 25th: "He’s got a good stick and great feet defending the rush and gapping up, but can also step up and lay the body, which he does with force (he's one of the hardest-hitting players in the draft, regularly driving through players to sit them down along the wall and occasionally even leaving his feet). He has shown he can use his skating to be more involved in the rush/transition this year."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - March 12th: "Elick isn't a natural puck-mover and can make some questionable puck decisions. He will need to clean that up, but he has good hands and isn't a negative with the puck on his stick. In a role where he just needs to defend well and make a basic outlet, he could potentially be a top-four NHL defenseman."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - March 9th: "Elick is one of the best skaters in this draft class and doesn’t need to put much effort to get up to full speed. The fact he can do that at 6-foot-3? Awesome. His puck-play brings him down a bit, though."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Charlie Elick's Player Profile​

Rachel Doerrie - ESPN - April 2nd: "His offensive rush and transition play have taken big steps this year, but he projects as a rangy, shutdown defenseman who is a nightmare to play against. He'll need to develop his instincts and continue to evolve his transition game, but Elick has an attractive package of functional size, mobility and a mean streak that's a mile long."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - March 25th: "He’s got a good stick and great feet defending the rush and gapping up, but can also step up and lay the body, which he does with force (he's one of the hardest-hitting players in the draft, regularly driving through players to sit them down along the wall and occasionally even leaving his feet). He has shown he can use his skating to be more involved in the rush/transition this year."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - March 12th: "Elick isn't a natural puck-mover and can make some questionable puck decisions. He will need to clean that up, but he has good hands and isn't a negative with the puck on his stick. In a role where he just needs to defend well and make a basic outlet, he could potentially be a top-four NHL defenseman."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - March 9th: "Elick is one of the best skaters in this draft class and doesn’t need to put much effort to get up to full speed. The fact he can do that at 6-foot-3? Awesome. His puck-play brings him down a bit, though."
I think people are little too down on his offense. He's not going to be a 30 point guy or anything, but he's not going to be a hindrance either. A guy his size shouldn't skate like he can, and he loves the physical part of the game. He's a lot like a young Manson.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I think people are little too down on his offense. He's not going to be a 30 point guy or anything, but he's not going to be a hindrance either. A guy his size shouldn't skate like he can, and he loves the physical part of the game. He's a lot like a young Manson.
I didn't even know he hockied.
1715187154593.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad