Pre-Game Talk: The 2024-2025 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The Crunch also has a few notable injuries, pretty much all at forward.

I had picked up on TB/SYR seemingly adding more forwards than usual. It wasn't enough to really mention, but it makes sense now. Syracuse normally aren't signing guys like Jujhar Khaira, Ara Nazarian, and a try-out for Joel Teasdale, especially all at the same time.

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Really like JBB praising all the young guys that could very well be some of the final cuts during TC. I think there is 4-5 guys that will be here on the final days making it tough on who goes and who stays

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Really like JBB praising all the young guys that could very well be some of the final cuts during TC. I think there is 4-5 guys that will be here on the final days making it tough on who goes and who stays
The harder and later the cut is, the closer they actually are.

Depending on how injuries go, some of those guys may start the season with TB.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
The harder and later the cut is, the closer they actually are.

Depending on how injuries go, some of those guys may start the season with TB.
i think Groshev, Geekie, Goncalves, Duke, and maybe one of Edmonds/Huuhtanen are there on the last day of cuts with 1 or maybe even 2 of them making it depending on if anyone is injured come opening night

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
WTF??? This might be one of the worst professional decisions I've ever seen an athlete make. Why in God's name would you scrub your contract in the big show for a premier Russian club like Metallurg? This *WAS* his big break
The alternative might be getting assigned to the VHL. As a free agent, he can sign with whoever will take him.

Russia to TB would probably be some pretty severe time zone adjustment if he did come over right now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How many games can Geekie play before his ELC kicks in? Like 9 right? Ace should be back by then.

Or is he definitely in AHL this year and it'll kick in anyways

He's over 20 so he'd be in the AHL this year if he doesn't make it but yes I'd say give him the 9 games and take a look, we're burning an ELC year either way - he's the only one in the pool with top-6 talent.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Orlando Solar Bears*
What I'm thinking is that he attends Crunch camp as a try-out, and if he doesn't like that he's probably still an AHL/ECHL guy, then he can still try to sign in the DEL, Slovakia, or Czech Extraliga.

He just turned 25 a week ago. He should be at about his peak. That goes for earnings, too.

jukiantor

Sep 19, 2024
Shouldn't the Eyssimont injury open up a big opportunity for someone to get an extended look?
it will open up a spot for ylonen most likely. Gage is all but guaranteed a look to begin the year but I don't see any other youngsters making a push to start the year. Groshev isn't ready and he's the next up in my opinion from the rookies we could see get a shot. I do not want geekie near the opening night roster. He's the best prospect this team has seen since point (forward wise) came up. Give him his time, wait for the end of the year if not all year and let him develop his skating at this speed. Glendening being out is what leaves the biggest question mark for me. Especially since we have no PTO's at camp. Unless JBB goes and makes a late signing like he did with Motte last year to replace Archibald. id rather even give edmonds a spot rather than geekie for the short time glenndening is out.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What I'm thinking is that he attends Crunch camp as a try-out, and if he doesn't like that he's probably still an AHL/ECHL guy, then he can still try to sign in the DEL, Slovakia, or Czech Extraliga.

He just turned 25 a week ago. He should be at about his peak. That goes for earnings, too.
I don't know how well adjusted he is to US culture but it's probably a better paying option than other Euro leagues. Idk, I just don't know how you justify ending your contract after 4 games. The only story that makes sense is Magnitka was gonna banish him to the VHL again and Shalagin said "absolutely not" and both sides agreed to terminate the deal. Dude was playing in Belarus last year and I have to wonder if that isn't what he's gonna do

It's a shame. Great hands but Cal Foote skating

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't know how well adjusted he is to US culture but it's probably a better paying option than other Euro leagues. Idk, I just don't know how you justify ending your contract after 4 games. The only story that makes sense is Magnitka was gonna banish him to the VHL again and Shalagin said "absolutely not" and both sides agreed to terminate the deal. Dude was playing in Belarus last year and I have to wonder if that isn't what he's gonna do

It's a shame. Great hands but Cal Foote skating
He played a year with Orlando, so he's not completely unused to it.

Belarus doesn't pay that well, especially compared to the KHL. If he wasn't willing to go to the VHL, then it stands to reason that he thinks he can get more (and may have been offered it in the offseason). It's unlikely that he only got interest from exactly one team.

AHL, Switzerland, Sweden, Czech, Slovakia, Germany, Finland, Austria, or Norway, might be able to offer something similar to whatever he was going to get in the KHL. Maybe even another KHL team could step in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad