The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
You left off a pretty important stat to filter their numbers through. They have an OZS% of 40%. They, along with the Krebs line, are getting tough matchups. But the McLeod line plays a decent amount more of the two.

Any offense the McLeod line provides is gravy. At the moment they are essentially providing what the Quinn/Cozens line is supposed to be contributing. A line that gets OZS of 67% with Kulich and 82% with Benson.

It doesn't matter what their deployment is, their expected goal differential was under 43% at the time. That was the point of the post.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Looking at cap wages I see a handful of trade options. Not sure how realistic or how well they perform these days but here are a few names I noticed. If anyone has insight on their game that would be appreciated.
Severson - Cbj
Weegar - Cal
Murphy - Chi
Pulock - NYI
Mayfield - NYI

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I know it's still early in the season but how's Bo looking?
He’s been good this year, definitely improved since Ruff came in. I think most of us are happy with the return but would’ve considered moving Cozens for even more of a package and kept Casey as the 2C.

Nothing against Bo at all, it’s more of a “we may have traded the wrong guy” thing. But we’ll see if Cozens can break out of it.

Reactions: joshjull and Fjordy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Byram has been awesome from what Ive seen. He brings an element of physicality that Power has lacked in a partner. There's a very real possibility we've found Power's long term partner, which is a nice thought.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It doesn't matter what their deployment is, their expected goal differential was under 43% at the time. That was the point of the post.
Sure it does, xGF% tells us little by itself. More information/context is needed. How players are deployed is one thing that influences their underlying numbers and how they should be interpreted.

Sample size matters as well. Which in this case you're using a stat based on only 5gms of xGF and xGA. A pretty small sample easily skewed up or down by one game. One that also inflates even the smallest of differences into an unfavorable xGF% or GF% that could be reversed in a game or two.

You also posted misleading numbers. The stats you posted were filtered for 5gms but you argued in your post about their play in 6gms together. You left off their 1st game which would have brought their xGF% to 46%, not the 42.9% you posted.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Talent level is similar. Not sure if Zegras is a center....we know Quinn isn't.

Quinn knows where the D-zone is and generally knows what to do there.......Zegras is Skinner-level clueless.

Maybe if Donnie was still coach, it could work. Can't see Zegras and Ruff meshing at all.
Ruff made it work with Briere, who has some similar tendencies in the defensive zone early on.

I hope Adams is hunting for a center, but I hope he's looking for bigger game. I just don't believe Zegras is a fit for what is needed.
He's shifty, skates well, and is creative. I think he's a perfect fit.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What would you offer?
I'd be willing to move Quinn, Cozens, Krebs, and any non-roster propsect/pick in the org right now to get better.

You could talk me into Kulich and Benson too, but they wouldn't be my first suggestions.

Tage, supported by Peterka/Tuch, has re-captured his elite 1st line production.

McLeod and co. are winning their matchup while scoring the secondary scoring needed, for now.

The 4th line is still, imo, finding itself.

The 2nd line is the problem. It's giving nothing but GA right now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Talent level is similar. Not sure if Zegras is a center....we know Quinn isn't.

Quinn knows where the D-zone is and generally knows what to do there.......Zegras is Skinner-level clueless.

Maybe if Donnie was still coach, it could work. Can't see Zegras and Ruff meshing at all.
Any metrics on Zegras' defense over the last 15-20 games? Didn't Ruff have guys on the Devils who weren't great at defense either? I think I read something like that about guys like that. Zegras can play both wing and center (maybe). Not that Cozens is great at that.

I think the team definitely lacks creativity and a playmaker, especially on the second line. Zegras may not be a big guy physically and he's not a perfect defender, but he's always been a creative playmaker who can create chances.

And yes, it doesn't have to be Zegras, but I don't see many options on the market for that position right now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
When was the last time he played center on a regular basis?
We need a top 6 forward, not necessarily in the center. Zegras is the type of player, we have Cozens at PP1 who doesn't know how to pass, we don't have Mitts anymore, we don't have enough good playmakers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We need a top 6 forward, not necessarily in the center. Zegras is the type of player, we have Cozens at PP1 who doesn't know how to pass, we don't have Mitts anymore, we don't have enough good playmakers.
The post I was replying to was a reply to a post about the Sabres needing a center.

Regardless, I do not see Zegras being the type of player that Ruff would want to add to the roster. And with 2 pts in 8gp, it's not like he's playing well right now.

I think a lot of people would prefer to add a player that is more than a change of scenery hope that he works out type move.

:dunno:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ruff made it work with Briere, who has some similar tendencies in the defensive zone early on.

He's shifty, skates well, and is creative. I think he's a perfect fit.
I’ve not watched a non-Sabres Ducks game in a long time so I can’t say whether Zegras would fit but I find the conversation intriguing.

I love hearing these opinions…gonna sneak over to the ducks page when I get a chance to see what the hometown fans think

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The post I was replying to was a reply to a post about the Sabres needing a center.

Regardless, I do not see Zegras being the type of player that Ruff would want to add to the roster. And with 2 pts in 8gp, it's not like he's playing well right now.

I think a lot of people would prefer to add a player that is more than a change of scenery hope that he works out type move.

:dunno:
Well, points at the beginning of the season are not an indicator for me, I would rather see his metrics or know the opinion of Ducks fans. Our Cozens also plays in terms of points about the same. What problem could Zegras have with Ruff?

I agree that maybe we could do better than Zegras, but who? Who at the beginning of the season will give up a good top 6 forward or especially a top 6 center, for what price and is Adams ready to pay it (I'm sure he is not).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad