The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Personally I liked Greenway. He brings a different skillset to the line-up. He was also 22nd in the league in shorthanded minutes per game last year, which doesn't seem impressive until you consider that 20 of the top 22 were Dmen, he was 2nd among forwards. Also, his GA/60 on the PK was better than all but a few in the top 50, and actually the same as Jordan Staal who is considered a top tier defensive player.

He's probably a big reason the PK improved last season, along with UPL's improvement obviously.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I liked Greenway the instant I saw him win a 50/50; it had been so very long watching so little effort. Hustling back on changes, going in the no-go zone, all the little things.

There was a time a few years back when seeing Blankenburg on waivers would have really excited me.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Twitter and the xB folks don't think he's a fit with the speed the Sabres have and are trying to make him the whipping boy before the season even begins
They were telling on themselves with those takes. They clearly don’t understand that an individual player’s foot speed/skating and their ability to play at pace/fast are not the same thing. Largely because playing at speed is about the team game.

A team playing fast is largely a mental excercise. How well do the players understand/buy into the system, how fast do they read/react to plays as they develop, etc. Having speed in the lineup certainly helps. But an entire team a speedsters is not required, and is rarely the case.

Benson isn’t much faster than Greenway, if he is at all. Yet this crowd loves him (as do we all), so not a peep. Its going to be annoying listening to them nitpick the crap out of Greenway’s game all season.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
They were telling on themselves with those takes. They clearly don’t understand that an individual player’s foot speed/skating and their ability to play at pace/fast are not the same thing. Largely because playing at speed is about the team game.

A team playing fast is largely a mental excercise. How well do the players understand/buy into the system, how fast do they read/react to plays as they develop, etc. Having speed in the lineup certainly helps. But an entire team a speedsters is not required, and is rarely the case.

Benson isn’t much faster than Greenway, if he is at all. Yet this crowd loves him (as do we all), so not a peep. Its going to be annoying listening to them nitpick the crap out of Greenway’s game all season.
Even if Greenway is behind in Lindy’s system, shit at least let the games start before we decree that.

I think Greenway will be just fine and will be a nice addition to that third line.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
And if we lose out a playoff spot because Reimer lays multiple eggs while he’s in the crease I guess we can all be happy because Levi got more time in the A.
And if we miss out on a playoff spot because Levi is trying to adjust to inconsistent starts and upl is threatened by his back what do we do then?

That’s the glorious part about these rhetorical statements; they’re useless and mean nothing.

1 player has a decent career going where he’s showed… almost nothing.

The other player made the nhl as an 18 year old and didn’t look out of place doing it. Oh and he also jumped greenway on the depth chart in the process.

Maybe a poor comparison?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Greenway haters may want to skip this one:

I’ll tell that if I got a chance to play in the nhl Lindy would love my hustle. He’d cut me, but damn the effort I’d give would be off the charts. Hopefully greenway can match some ability with it this season.

It would be better for the Sabres if greenway came out and really solidified his place in the Sabres lineup. I’m just waiting to see the player that’s been hyped up here. So far it’s been a guy that occasionally gives you second line play and usually gives you deep depth play. He’s not an instigator. He doesn’t play that hard power forward game. Hes been chased from 1 team already. And his biggest selling point is a coach everyone wanted fired wanted him. I hope he shows out. I have less faith in it than I have faith that he will be a healthy scratch by the end of the season.

Why does his speed get brought up and not benson’s? Because benson brings a complete game around his speed and in some aspects an elite game. Greenway doesn’t, his game is vanilla. He doesn’t leverage his size very well for how big he is and he doesn’t have the mental game benson does and there’s players coming from rochester soon. He’s gotta find it this year because there doesn’t look to be many more goes for him in Buffalo just based on organizational depth.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad