The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Swayman simply had better stats than Levi did in his 1st post college year. Levi just hasn't earned it yet baby imo
Swayman was a year older AND he only played 19 games across the AHL and NHL. If anything, Swayman's development suggests it'd be fine for Levi to play in the bigs this year only getting 30 or so games as a backup.

As an aside, Reimer is way too good to try to squeeze through waivers.
The way I see it, You have two options:
A) Send Levi to Rochester
B) Carry 3 goalies

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think Reimer is a better than any goalie we have had not named UPL or Levi in the last decade, to say hes not starter material is right but to act like hes some never been is a far cry. He's a very quality backup and one we should be able to fully trust when he gets the starts.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
But why? We can push Levi up, lose a depth goalie which hurts a bunch of prospects in Rochester for what? There's already a young #1 in Buffalo. What's the hurry? Levi will get NHL opportunities this year without having to blow up the goalie pipeline.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Looking at how 3 elite college goalies transitioned to the NHL:

Jake Oettinger
NCAA GP: 36 GAA: 2.45 SP: .926
AHL GP: 38 GAA: 2.57 SP: .917
NHL GP: 29 GAA: 2.36 SP: .911

Jeremy Swayman
NCAA GP: 34 GAA: 2.07 SP: .939
AHL GP: 9 GAA: 1.80 SP: .933, NHL GP: 10, GAA: 150, SP: .945
NHL GP: 41 GAA: 2.41, SP: .914

Devon Levi
NCAA GP: 34 GAA: 2.24 SP: .933
AHL GP: 26 GAA: 2.42 SP: .927 NHL: GP: 23 GAA: 3.10 SP: ..899
NHL ???

Oettinger played 44 AHL games before becoming a full-time NHLer.
Swayman played 14, along with 10 in the NHL.
Levi has played 26 in the AHL and another 30 in the NHL.

Levi is ready to play 30-40 NHL games this year.

Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I did not understand the few that were saying Greenway would be odd-man out under Ruff. Greenway is almost a prototypical Ruff player.
Probably only because he’s a rental at this point and probably won’t be re-signed? Most fans seem to like him from what I’ve seen, aside from that element.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who hates Greenway? Don’t really see many complaints around these parts

There are a few who crop up every now and again. I have no issue with his game, guy has been an excellent addition to the PK and can provide some applied size. I wasn't a fan when Granato put him at center, but that has nothing to do with Greenway.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
There are a few who crop up every now and again. I have no issue with his game, guy has been an excellent addition to the PK and can provide some applied size. I wasn't a fan when Granato put him at center, but that has nothing to do with Greenway.

I really like Greenway. I think the reason he gets called out is lots of people are so excited to get in some of these prospects and there really isn't room for any of them in Buffalo right now. So they're looking for what piece might fit the least.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really like Greenway. I think the reason he gets called out is lots of people are so excited to get in some of these prospects and there really isn't room for any of them in Buffalo right now. So they're looking for what piece might fit the least.
I know Rivet and Peters are always saying he should hit more, and jump into scrums with less hesitation, but I don’t hear that much outside of them.

Jeez, how do I not remember him playing center? Was that because of an injury?

I guess I already forgot what happened last season. Probably self preservation

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know Rivet and Peters are always saying he should hit more, and jump into scrums with less hesitation, but I don’t hear that much outside of them.

Jeez, how do I not remember him playing center? Was that because of an injury?

I guess I already forgot what happened last season. Probably self preservation

I think it was a couple of games with Benson and Okposo, early January:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I hear people outside of here say Greenway is slow and not good. Some want him sitting as the 13th forward.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was also thinking of commenting that Greenway looked like he was in good shape at the start of training camp.

Not that that is worth much.

Reactions: Chainshot

Perry Tegula

Yes... that'll do
Dec 7, 2022
What's amusing is it's generally the same Twitter crowd who wanted to see what Lindy could do with Skinner. Who do you think he'd rather have

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was also thinking of commenting that Greenway looked like he was in good shape at the start of training camp.

Not that that is worth much.

I've liked his work as a PKer and still think that's important enough for him to be in the regular lineup. He and Cozens took up so much room and seemed like (without any statistical evidence) to be their best PKing pair. *shrug*

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
A lot of the haters seem to forget how instrumental he is on the PK and it drives me crazy!

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
A lot of the haters seem to forget how instrumental he is on the PK and it drives me crazy!
If you have a good PK you can not be so worried about taking "penalties of passion," as I think Ruff put it, which allows you to play a more physical, heavy game. And let's just say it -- it allows you to play dirtier and still win. It's the most important thing to me.

The scariest teams to play aren't the ones who hit hardest -- it's the ones who incorporate penalties into their game plan.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Greenway haters may want to skip this one:

I've always wondered if Greenway would be someone Ruff moves up the LU in a pinch similar to Hecht. Obviously, Hecht is more skilled and a far better skater, but Greenway brings a skillset that can help open things up for our skilled guys in the O zone, and clamp things down in the D zone. Zucker seems like the most obvious answer at this point, though.

Sneaky good addition by Adams, none the less.

Edit: the more I think about it...perhaps Greenway is more comparable to Grier.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If you have a good PK you can not be so worried about taking "penalties of passion," as I think Ruff put it, which allows you to play a more physical, heavy game. And let's just say it -- it allows you to play dirtier and still win. It's the most important thing to me.

The scariest teams to play aren't the ones who hit hardest -- it's the ones who incorporate penalties into their game plan.
Boston, Tampa, etc.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Looking at how 3 elite college goalies transitioned to the NHL:

Jake Oettinger
NCAA GP: 36 GAA: 2.45 SP: .926
AHL GP: 38 GAA: 2.57 SP: .917
NHL GP: 29 GAA: 2.36 SP: .911

Jeremy Swayman
NCAA GP: 34 GAA: 2.07 SP: .939
AHL GP: 9 GAA: 1.80 SP: .933, NHL GP: 10, GAA: 150, SP: .945
NHL GP: 41 GAA: 2.41, SP: .914

Devon Levi
NCAA GP: 34 GAA: 2.24 SP: .933
AHL GP: 26 GAA: 2.42 SP: .927 NHL: GP: 23 GAA: 3.10 SP: ..899
NHL ???

Oettinger played 44 AHL games before becoming a full-time NHLer.
Swayman played 14, along with 10 in the NHL.
Levi has played 26 in the AHL and another 30 in the NHL.

Levi is ready to play 30-40 NHL games this year.
I was fine with him being 1b after his run in Rochester, especially during the playoffs. Adding Reimer was smart, though, but that came with the assumption Levi would play a heavy share in the AHL + another 15 games in the NHL. Having 3 capable goalies is a good problem to have.

Best problem we've had in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad