The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
One thing I am looking forward to is Lindy Ruff getting the most out of the players. Something thats been lacking here.

He has always been able to push players to their potential. You give 100% or you sit with Lindy.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
One thing I am looking forward to is Lindy Ruff getting the most out of the players. Something thats been lacking here.

He has always been able to push players to their potential. You give 100% or you sit with Lindy.

The issue with Lindy is his previous gigs is he gets the most out of...his guys.

If you aren't willing to do the things Ruff wants, you aren't playing. The reality is, that is why Skinner was bought out, Ruff was probably pretty clear how he felt about his effort level.

It should also be pointed out, Ruff's message tends to wear thin, especially if there isn't success with it. Players being psyched up now likely aren't going to be as excited about it 40 games in.

He also has a much shorter leash on younger players.

I think there is going to be some frustration setting in when the accountability everyone talked about actually comes to a head. We're going to see guys get moved down the lineup for stuff they got away with regularly under Granato.

Hoping the honeymoon phase has enough on ice success that the buy in lasts for the whole season.

Reactions: jc17 and Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The issue with Lindy is his previous gigs is he gets the most out of...his guys.

If you aren't willing to do the things Ruff wants, you aren't playing. The reality is, that is why Skinner was bought out, Ruff was probably pretty clear how he felt about his effort level.

It should also be pointed out, Ruff's message tends to wear thin, especially if there isn't success with it. Players being psyched up now likely aren't going to be as excited about it 40 games in.

I think there is going to be some frustration setting in when the accountability everyone talked about actually comes to a head. We're going to see guys get moved down the lineup for stuff they got away with regularly under Granato.

Hoping the honeymoon phase has enough on ice success that the buy in lasts for the whole season.
That wasn't too much of the case in NJ in 2022-23.

That team relied on young forwards. Their top 4 forwards in TOI were 23 (Hischier), 21 (Jack Hughes), 24 (Bratt), and 20 (Mercer).

I think a lot of Sabres fans are looking more to Lindy's last time as the Sabres head coach for what he will be like this year as opposed to how he coached his team in NJ.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Can you name coaches that don't sit guys that won't play in the system?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That wasn't too much of the case in NJ in 2022-23.

That team relied on young forwards. Their top 4 forwards in TOI were 23 (Hischier), 21 (Jack Hughes), 24 (Bratt), and 20 (Mercer).

I think a lot of Sabres fans are looking more to Lindy's last time as the Sabres head coach for what he will be like this year as opposed to how he coached his team in NJ.

We’ve seen that with comments about goalie rotation as well. They aren’t looking at his tenure in Jersey, they’re just flashing back to 20 or 25 years ago and think that they know what’s going to happen. He very much relied on his young talent in his recent years.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Can you name coaches that don't sit guys that won't play in the system?
None of them. Even Granato would have...the only reason he didn't is because he had no other options, there was no depth at any position except for goalie.

These kids aren't made of glass, they'll be fine with Lindy. Every single good coach in the league has a shelf life that isn't super long, except maybe RBA. Getting worried over that at this point is silly.

I mean, Granato gave players a very loooooooooooooong leash up until this last year. They aren't going to have that much leeway under Ruff.
It's only because he didn't have anyone to replace them with. Granato definitely would have been sitting guys if he had any kind of NHL depth...he said as much many times. But he didn't...Ruff does.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's only because he didn't have anyone to replace them with. Granato definitely would have been sitting guys if he had any kind of NHL depth...he said as much many times. But he didn't...Ruff does.

Yep. And I think that Krebs and Rousek will very much be guys that Ruff won't hesitate to plop into the lineup if someone isn't cutting it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Remember, we get to carry more until we get home from Prague. So it'll be more like around the 7th or 8th until we see our real, final roster.
I didn't say that because he's still with the team. I said it because they're talking like they're keeping him. Apparently he's not into playing for the AHL either...and they obviously knew that before they signed him. Makes you wonder.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I really think this is the year they break the playoff drought, this year feels different, just a different aura, you can feel it with the Bills too.

Everything starts within the mind, belief shapes your reality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad