The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean generally I agree with you but it's kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity and the reason he's been away from his family since a young age. I don't think that's lost on Lindy and I bet there's a few guys who would willingly sit down a game or two for him.
You’re thinking way too sentimentally and not logically. They’re were already getting rewarded when they were handed spots on the group going to Europe when camp opened. They got the spots because they're from Czechia. They’ll also play in a NHL exhibition game in Munich, which is roughly 4hrs from their respective home towns. For perspective, there are a lot of NHers who will never play a NHL game of any kind that close to their home town. That includes a lot of North Americans.

There is nothing unique about Kulich or Rousek’s journeys. If anything it was easier than most because of staying in Czechia as long as they did. They played mostly for teams roughly 1 or 2 hours away from their hometowns and league within a roughly 5hr drive. Which would allow their families to still be very involved in their lives if they wanted to. Kulich left at 18 and has only been away for 2yrs. Rousek left at 21/22yrs and has been gone only 3.

Now compare that to kids from NA or Europe playing in the WHL, USHL, etc. and the significantly greater distances traveled by comparison. Making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for their families to be very involved. Many of those kids left to do this at age 15/16. Many will also likely be away from their families throughout juniors, the minors and their NHL careers (If they have one).

I’m honestly don’t get why you think they’re owed anything more than whats earned vs their teammates. They wouldn’t even be on the team if it wasn’t for this European trip. I find it hard to believe Ruff would play them over better players or that those better players would willingly give up their spots like its the movie Rudy. This is professional sports , not a Make a Wish. This team has a new coach looking to establish his new system, line deployments, etc. This trip disrupts that as it is. I don’t see Ruff further disrupting things for sentimental reasons.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
This is a business trip to win NHL regular season games.

This is not a family vacation.
As much as you might want robots playing for you… they aren’t.

It’s like we forgot that the far more successful team in the city is built on family first.

Nylander also turned his euro trip into a family vacation and then had the best season of his career.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As much as you might want robots playing for you… they aren’t.

It’s like we forgot that the far more successful team in the city is built on family first.

Nylander also turned his euro trip into a family vacation and then had the best season of his career.
I realize that they are human beings first and sports entertainers second.

But, this is not merely a preseason/exhibition trip. These games matter.

And on the Bills, they didn't dress Buffalo Joe for the home opener. They didn't give him a gameday jersey because it would be a nice story and make him and his family feel good. He had to wait until injuries opened up a spot on the gameday active roster.

This is a similar thing. The 27 guys making the trip were decided by their place in the organizational depth chart and not because of where they grew up. And that is the way serious NHL teams approach things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad