The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He's always doing that....kid sounds entitled to me and I don't like it one bit
There's a different mental game for goalies, they are taught to focus on the next save and not what they let in. Talking about Roch in past tense kinda tracks. But there is a let-down risk that he'll need to manage. If he doesn't come in and establish himself as the clear #1, or there is no clear number one, they are going to focus on getting UPL going, and may send him down to get him going as well.

Overall, I liked his interview. He's young, and he definitely has developed a media persona, so you don't really hear any new ideas from him or get insights. But he remains positive, and even is deferential to his goalie peers when the interviewer frames the goalie situation in Buffalo as a two-horse race.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How I see it...

In 2025

RFAs are Quinn, peterka, mcleod, byrum, levi
UFA Greeneay, NAK, Zucker

Assume 92M cap in 25/26. Sabres have about 30M in space. Targetting a 13f/7d/2g roster

Keep Greenway or a similar vet you sign for 3M for 3 yrs

NAK and Zucker replaced by ELCs=1M over the next 2 yrs

McLeod. Quinn, peterka signed would be 13F.

For D/G
Levi signed for 1.75 for 2 yrs replacing Reimer
Bryson/ vet signed for 1M as 7D for next 2 yrs
RyJo replaces Joker at 1.5M for 2 yrs in a top 6D

25/26 buffalo has about 21.5M in space for Peterka, Quinn, McLeod, and Byrum

If you sign Byrum for 6M per for 6 yrs
Quinn and Peterka for 2yr bridge at 5M
McLeod signs for 3.5M for say 4 yrs.

They are left with about $2M in space

The next summer in 26/27..
Clifton leaves and repkace by ELC RD at 1M
Tuch resigned for 6M for 4 yrs
Benson resigns for 5M ( same as quinn and jpp)
Krebs is replaced with a 1M elc/vet
Malenstyn is resigned for 2M
Lafferty is replaced by ELC/vet at 1M

The net effect is -2.33+1.25+4.1-.0.45+0.65-1=-3.78+5=1.25M

The cap increase covers mainly the higher cap penalty for skinner buy out.

If the cap is 95M buffalo will have about $1M in space

things will be very tight in 25/26 and 26/27 ,unless s big trade is made where buffalo moves out more as li ary than what comes in. Maybe you trade Peterka or benson for ELCs/ picks/ futures or trade Byrum or Power for a RD making less of about 4-5M

If you sign JPP/Quinn to something higher snf longer you will be handcuffing the team team later like benson being exposed to a $4M OS that buffalo cant match

That math is mostly fungible and you get find space. Greenway signing seems excessive with Malenstyn here.

Moving on from Krebs gets you another 1.4M next year as well.

This is a pretty academic exercise because, as @Irie has pointed out...the evaluation is going to change next year.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
FIFY

Belief 1 and 2 are both realities in my world.

80% of the GMs in the league make poor decisions when it comes to UFA signings. It isn't that 80% of GMs are bad GMs, but more likely most GMs are just sorta average, and it takes a pretty exceptional GM to regularly play the UFA market and consistently come out ahead. Adams is not an exceptional GM.
I understand this argument when it comes to the Bills. McDermott might not be good enough to get us over the hump of KC and win a Superbowl. But he's almost certainly better than whoever the next guy is that Terry would hire.

But when it comes to Adams I can't really imagine doing meaningfully worse. We've already missed the playoffs every year of his tenure. The more shots Terry takes at hiring a GM the higher the likelihood he'll eventually luck into a good hire.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
FIFY

Belief 1 and 2 are both realities in my world.

80% of the GMs in the league make poor decisions when it comes to UFA signings. It isn't that 80% of GMs are bad GMs, but more likely most GMs are just sorta average, and it takes a pretty exceptional GM to regularly play the UFA market and consistently come out ahead. Adams is not an exceptional GM.

While you are correct Kevyn has been wise to mostly avoid the UFA market. But the reasoning is that the team has been so bad in such an undesirable market, the volume of overpay required on the top end players would be debilitating.

That doesn't make him a good GM though.

That is like saying "not playing the lottery makes you smart with money"

Not playing the lottery is smart, but it doesn't make you qualified to manage a large stock portfolio.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Lines for tonight’s preseason game.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Rousek-Krebs-Kulich
Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel

Byram-Power
Samuelsson-Jokiharju
Bryson-Clifton

UPL
Reimer
So no Zucker, McLeod, or Greenway. That 3rd line is Ruff saying "show me what you can do, boys". Not sure that's the best way to see what Kulich can offer.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not exactly setting him up for success but otherwise looks like Ruff is getting guys time together.
He's not cracking the top 6. See he better be able to handle a bottom six role if he wants to make the team out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad