Prospect Info: The 2024-2025 Prospect Thread: Part 1: Skate or Die!

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Willander was a late boomer, makes sense to have him spend more time to develop.
I think folks can’t wrap their head around the idea we drafted him for his potential and are willing to spend time for that potential to be realized which is very different than what you would expect from a high round pick which is typically high potential and faster to NHL.
Cale Makar played two years of college after his draft year.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Cale Makar played two years of college after his draft year.
Looks like Makar also had very similar numbers in his D+1 as Willander. Not saying Willander will be like Makar.

People just need to be patient and see what happens with Willander this season. But it’s frustrating that he is not getting Pp1.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Looks like Makar also had very similar numbers in his D+1 as Willander. Not saying Willander will be like Makar.

People just need to be patient and see what happens with Willander this season. But it’s frustrating that he is not getting Pp1.
Makar and Willander aren't the same player. Willander has never really shown that high end offensive skill. Neither did Brock Faber until he got to the NHL.

BU had a lot of vets on defence last year. Willander is going to have a much larger role more often this year. Similar points totals this year against harder competition would be a win. His transition struggled a bit last year as well.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Makar and Willander aren't the same player. Willander has never really shown that high end offensive skill. Neither did Brock Faber until he got to the NHL.

BU had a lot of vets on defence last year. Willander is going to have a much larger role more often this year. Similar points totals this year against harder competition would be a win. His transition struggled a bit last year as well.
Willander was already the shutdown guy last season and played against harder competition. the hope is that he'll be able to not just shutdown but drive offense as well.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Willander was already the shutdown guy last season and played against harder competition. the hope is that he'll be able to not just shutdown but drive offense as well.
I watched probably half the BU games last year and I wouldn't have called him the shutdown guy. Every game I watched he basically played as a 2nd pair guy.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

I just turned the game on and the 1st shift I saw was his line get hemmed in for over a minute. Quite a bit of one hand on his stick waving at the blue liner with the puck. Missed a change opportunity, got bailed out by his goalie, made a nice block, bailed out by his goalie after a scramble and involved in some pushing and shoving.

Getting 2nd PP time on the half wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I watched probably half the BU games last year and I wouldn't have called him the shutdown guy. Every game I watched he basically played as a 2nd pair guy.
I mean the 1st pairing was basically Hutson roaming everywhere, you can hardly say that Hutson was out there to defend.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I mean the 1st pairing was basically Hutson roaming everywhere, you can hardly say that Hutson was out there to defend.
No defending was done by Lane Hutson last season but he was still playing 25 minutes a game or more. Willander should get a top 6 match up every time he is on the ice this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad