GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
All NHL teams have one. Did they have him 12, 15 31? Or was it higher. None of us even heard of him until we drafted him.
They were both on my list. Maybe it’s because i pay attention to draft eligible prospects. After Wheeler’s shocking selection i have made it a point when there are tall players who have skill and skating rocketing up draft lists (like Pronman’s) late in the season. It’s one of the reasons why i was trying to fid out how many scouts the organization had physically located in Russia who could do the background work and who would be advocating for them when it came to assembling the final list.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They were both on my list. Maybe it’s because i pay attention to draft eligible prospects. After Wheeler’s shocking selection i have made it a point when there are tall players who have skill and skating rocketing up draft lists (like Pronman’s) late in the season. It’s one of the reasons why i was trying to fid out how many scouts the organization had physically located in Russia who could do the background work and who would be advocating for them when it came to assembling the final list.
Where did you have them on your list? This kid will be fun to watch as he skates like the wind.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I have no issue with the coyotes taking their guy and not risking it. Who knows what was offered. You think BA wanted an extra #2 or #3. Nope we have enough picks. Thinking bad asset management is just wrong. They wanted the guy who was likely #4 on their board. Also 5 other teams passed on Michkov. Not just us. MTL was the one team that should have moved back and traded with Philly or WAS. It easy to say oh they should have but whi knows what was offered. And MTL took their player also. After the top 4, it likely was a toss up. Each team may have liked someone different.
Honestly with amount of assets we acquired , and the amount of prospects we have , and the timeline, I think we could afford to not trade down a spot. I don’t think we needed to.

we all assume Philly wanted Leonard as back up, but we do not know that…

scocial media is full of speculation and not fact… heck social media thought we were taking Dvorsky or Reinbacher. The Phnx group thought we wanted Leonard.

I think we can assume going forward, especially when it comes to the draft, don’t believe anything you hear, especially when listening to the GM

I also think a lot of these rankings are misinformation as well. Some are to throw off teams, some likely offer their services to teams , some are political..and some are where they think they will be picked based on who is picking at that time..all my opinion of course

It would be interesting to go back to previous drafts and compare some of the rankings fro those that we all consider the experts, and see who was the closest in 1) where they were picked, and 2)how their careers panned out.

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
BA was lying through his teeth about this draft the whole time and I love it. I learned a lesson about this group. They control the information that gets out and they establish the narratives they want.

Their public statements screamed Leonard, and behind the scenes they had everyone convinced it was Dvorsky or Reinbacher. Meanwhile we had Plandowski telling us that size doesn’t matter and they only cared about skill. And that this wasn’t a good draft for blueliners and next year was much stronger for that.

And yet they slyly told us all the whole time with a wink and a smirk to “expect the unexpected”.

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
100%

BA was lying through his teeth about this draft the whole time and I love it. I learned a lesson about this group. They control the information that gets out and they establish the narratives they want.

Their public statements screamed Leonard, and behind the scenes they had everyone convinced it was Dvorsky or Reinbacher. Meanwhile we had Plandowski telling us that size doesn’t matter and they only cared about skill. And that this wasn’t a good draft for blueliners and next year was much stronger for that.

And yet they slyly told us all the whole time with a wink and a smirk to “expect the unexpected”.
And to brush up on our spelling :)

though I admit ”But” may throw me off ..need spell correct

Reactions: rt

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
If this Ukraine disaster drags on for 20 years, is the IIHF planning on banning Russian hockey players from international competition the entire time? I feel like they didn’t think this through at all.
Nice post. Let' they ruin the Country and kill people as quick as they can just for rt was able to watch his beloved russians at WJC. Keep going man.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

You should have seen our group reaction at Gilbert Ice when #6 was announced. o_O
It was definitely a "What just happened?" moment.
BA and his scouts had us prepared for Leonard, Dvorsky, Reinbacher or even Benson. Moosemeister knew they were good friends and with the size and skill of these two, the shock wore off quickly for me and the picks were starting to make sense. I was high on But to begin with so it wasn't anything like my pissed off reaction after we took Hayton and Soderstrom. I'm really looking forward to these picks and happy we did what we did, even if there was a chance we could have traded back, but I don't think BA wanted to risk that. He had his guys with all the "expect the unexpected" talk.
I seem to recall a lot or most KHL games were on ESPN+ last season. If not, maybe it was the year before, so we might get to watch these guys starting early September when the KHL season starts in two short months.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
honestly we all are wishing he traded back more because it would look like "we won" more so than needing the additional assets. How many 2nds and 3rds can we possibly have? I think we are all sick of AZ getting bad grades in the draft and FA so are a little shell shocked when we make a reach. But the group got plenty of love from the national media for their selections and even more from the signings yesterday.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Teenage hockey players are ruining countries and killing people?
Their parents do it. And they maybe too young to do it now.
Their role models do it. Did any ru hockey player condemn the war or putin? One of them, who sold his face to putin and took a prominent role in his election campaign now on verge to beat several NHL records. Nice. It's your choice, it's your heritage.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Their parents do it. And they maybe too young to do it now.
Their role models do it. Did any ru hockey player condemn the war or putin? One of them, who sold his face to putin and took a prominent role in his election campaign now on verge to beat several NHL records. Nice. It's your choice, it's your heritage.
This conversation is complex and requires nuance and context. This really isn’t the place for it. It’s not as simple as, “Russia bad…NATO good.”

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Their parents do it.
No they don’t.
And they maybe too young to do it now.
Utter nonsense.

Nagatoarek

Apr 18, 2022
Sweden
It's important to point out that should Russia suddenly be allowed back into IIHF too soon, there's always a risk of other countries boycotting it, such as Sweden or Finland.
Looking at fencing for example with Sweden boycotting it due to FIE allowing Russians to participate.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's important to point out that should Russia suddenly be allowed back into IIHF too soon, there's always a risk of other countries boycotting it, such as Sweden or Finland.
Looking at fencing for example with Sweden boycotting it due to FIE allowing Russians to participate.
It was stupid to do it to begin with. Now they’re painted into a corner. Politics are stupid.

Reactions: Jakey53

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Usually agree with you rt, but on the Ukraine thing, I'm fine if they are gone for 20 years. You could use your argument for everything that they are isolated from. Banking, exports and imports, and yes, sports. I don't want them to have sports to watch to distract from how horribly their war is going. I'd rather they focus completely on how their life is turned upside down for no reason at all. War is asymmetric. They're certainly happy to purposely target hospitals and children. I'm certainly fine if they can't watch their hockey team compete or buy an iPhone.

• Wow
Reactions: Baby Doaner and XX

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Usually agree with you rt, but on the Ukraine thing, I'm fine if they are gone for 20 years. You could use your argument for everything that they are isolated from. Banking, exports and imports, and yes, sports. I don't want them to have sports to watch to distract from how horribly their war is going. I'd rather they focus completely on how their life is turned upside down for no reason at all. War is asymmetric. They're certainly happy to purposely target hospitals and children. I'm certainly fine if they can't watch their hockey team compete or buy an iPhone.
So when we lied and unjustly went into Iraq and destroyed their entire infrastructure and killed civilians, should we have not been allowed to bank or watch our sports teams? No, because we all listened to what the tv said and didn’t ask questions and cheered it on. Don’t be a fool. Citizens are not responsible for what their corrupt self serving governments want to foist on them. Start thinking and stop consuming propaganda.
I come here for hockey talk but if you guys want to talk about a bunch of stuff you clearly don’t understand I’ll be happy to set you straight. Probably time to move on….

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad