Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
What’s the deal with him?

Aside from pushing Juulsen for the thickest neck in the organization what else does this kid offer?

Also, how did Nelson turn 22 during this his final season of junior?

I didn’t know it was possible to already be 21 years old going into your overage season???

I think you may want to have double checked your math before posting. 2024-2004=20.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What’s the deal with him?

Aside from pushing Juulsen for the thickest neck in the organization what else does this kid offer?

Also, how did Nelson turn 22 during this his final season of junior?

I didn’t know it was possible to already be 21 years old going into your overage season???
Count me as confused.....Did Ty Nelson sign a contract with Abbotsford? Hockey DB still lists him as being property of the Seattle Kraken, and played last year for Coachella Valley.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wasn't overly impressed by Nelson - in particular how he processed the play defensively - at the WJCs but it was a very small sample size, obviously.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wasn't overly impressed by Nelson - in particular how he processed the play defensively - at the WJCs but it was a very small sample size, obviously.

Well, isn't the whole thing offensive output in juniors translates better to NHL success? I thought I read that somewhere idk. I don't recall what his skating was like though, which would be my concern here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's ... not atrocious.

Lekkerimaki over Willander is just wrong.

Everyone playing in the OHL (Kudryavtsev, Bloom, Alriksson) is way too high. Bloom should be down in the HMs.

If you're going to list Linus Karlsson, he should be a lot higher than that. Dude literally played playoff games for us last year and he's being rated behind no-hoper ECHL junk.

Sasson should be a lot closer to Bains.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It's ... not atrocious.

Everyone playing in the OHL (Kudryavtsev, Bloom, Alriksson) is way too high. Bloom should be down in the HMs.

If you're going to list Linus Karlsson, he should be a lot higher than that. Dude literally played playoff games for us last year and he's being rated behind no-hoper ECHL junk.

the top 7-8 is fine but everything after that is nonsense

bloom and klimovich are dead contracts. alriksson probably never sees a contract offer. romani and fernstrom are ultra long shots

sasson, mcward, mueller and woo all have a chance to play nhl games this season

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the top 7-8 is fine but everything after that is nonsense

bloom and klimovich are dead contracts. alriksson probably never sees a contract offer. romani and fernstrom are ultra long shots

sasson, mcward, mueller and woo all have a chance to play nhl games this season

I can get where guys who are 18 like Romani/Fernstrom and have upside are ahead of Woo etc. who has #6-7 D upside.

But yeah, the Bloom/Alriksson/Klimovich crowd is ridiculously overrated.

Alriksson seems to be because he 'looked really big' at the prospect camp a month ago even though he was a flop in the OHL.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If I had to make a list I would just base it on, in order of,

highest potential > closest to NHL > decent prospect in that order

and completely leave out the flops and trash.

Willander
Silovs
Raty
Sasson
Bains
Lekkerimaki
D-Petey
Karlsson
Woo
Tolopilo

McWard
Nielsen
Kudryavtsev
Mynio
Mueller
Pattersson
Romani
Dorrington
Fernstrom

No reason close to NHL ready guys (even if it’s 4th line plug potential) should be lower than literal 3rd line OHL plugs. And while Lekkerimaki and D-Petey are promising prospects, Raty, Sasson, and Bains are much closer to being NHL’ers, so they’re higher up in the pecking order. But that being said, Willander is a top prospect and has a relatively high upside and potential to the point in which it supersedes the lesser upside but closer to the NHL prospects, but only if you’re that caliber of a prospect.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's ... not atrocious.

Not atrocious considering the lack of picks and overall crap that was left behind. There's certainly more upside potential in the top guys compared to a few years ago.
Podkolzin
Rathbone
Juolevi
DiPietro
McDonough
Gadjovich
Klimovich
Zlodeyev
Woo
Lockwood

• Love
Reactions: quat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not atrocious considering the lack of picks and overall crap that was left behind. There's certainly more upside potential in the top guys compared to a few years ago.
Podkolzin
Rathbone
Juolevi
DiPietro
McDonough
Gadjovich
Klimovich
Zlodeyev
Woo
Lockwood
Wow!. You're right.....that was 'the' Canuck prospect rankings in the last few years of the Benning 'reign of error'. The only guys on this list still 'alive' as prospects are Podkolzin, Woo and Klimovich. The rest are long gone.

As far as the Canucks Army 'top 20', it seems that a lot of prospect sites overrate prospect who were drafted most recently. So hence guys like Riley Patterson, Anthony Romani and Melvin Fernstom from the 2024 draft end up higher on the rankings than they probably should be.

And don't really see the pessimism with Arliksson. He's 6'6" and now 235 and his skating is more than passable for a kid his size. It's a big year in Guelph coming up for him. And if he has a big year, could easily see him getting an ELC from Vancouver.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's ... not atrocious.

These lists are so subjective, but the main eye-popper for me was Lekkerimaki over Willander. I'd have them switched.

Generally agree with your other comments, but that first one was the only egregious foul to me.

Reactions: Chiripa20

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
These lists are so subjective, but the main eye-popper for me was Lekkerimaki over Willander. I'd have them switched.

Generally agree with your other comments, but that first one was the only egregious foul to me.

Yeah, that’s the biggest one. I probably wouldn’t trade Willander for two Lekkerimakis. Willander is an absolute stud, a top-5 defensive prospect in the sport.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I too would have Willander at #1.

Willander's floor is the big difference for me. He looks like a very solid bet to be at least an OK 2nd pair guy, which is very valuable. It'd be a shock if he doesn't make it as an NHL regular.

I'm optimistic about Lekkerimaki, but his floor is a high-scoring star ... in the SHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I too would have Willander at #1.

Willander's floor is the big difference for me. He looks like a very solid bet to be at least an OK 2nd pair guy, which is very valuable. It'd be a shock if he doesn't make it as an NHL regular.

I'm optimistic about Lekkerimaki, but his floor is a high-scoring star ... in the SHL.

Willander is the next thing to a dead lock to be an NHLer at RD which is probably the sport’s most high value position.

A 40th percentile result for Willander is probably a more valuable asset than an 80th percentile result for Lekkerimaki.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I can get where guys who are 18 like Romani/Fernstrom and have upside are ahead of Woo etc. who has #6-7 D upside.

But yeah, the Bloom/Alriksson/Klimovich crowd is ridiculously overrated.

Alriksson seems to be because he 'looked really big' at the prospect camp a month ago even though he was a flop in the OHL.
I liked the series even while strongly disagreeing with the order of some of the ratings. I was amazed that they rated Lekkerimaki first and had Bloom and Klimovich as high as they did, to give just three obvious examples. The relative strength of the series was that unlike the almost unbroken positivity we've seen from CA in recent times as they caved to those that complained about negativity during the Benning years, some of the articles in this series mentioned prospect weaknesses. Readers who didn't know much about the prospects weren't, in most cases, treated to just what they could do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium