Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Athletic's Scott Wheeler released his 100 drafted prospects list.

Lekkerimaki and Willander make the list at 32 and 45. If these seem familiar, Wheeler and Pronman recycle a lot of their work to pump these things out. I felt both of these write-ups were new, though.

It has been an up-and-down (or, more appropriately, a down-and-up) couple of seasons since the draft for Lekkerimaki, but last year was a serious upswing back to where he belongs on talent. After a disappointing post-draft season that included two lackluster performances at the world juniors (first in the summer tournament in Edmonton and then in Halifax) and a challenging regular season in HockeyAllsvenkan, Lekkerimaki really hit his stride in the HockeyAllsvenskan playoffs at the end of the 2022-23 season and that play spilled into last year with strong age-adjusted production in the SHL and a deserved world juniors MVP award. Some of that progression is likely some should-have-been-expected catchup given his late-July birthday. Some of it is good health, after his draft year was impacted by injuries and illness (including a bout with COVID-19). And some of it is natural talent taking over and some important work done on areas of his game that needed it.

Lekkerimaki’s talent is undeniable. He’s dynamic in control and threatening from anywhere in the offensive zone. He can beat you in an instant with a quick catch-and-release or curl-and-drag shot, or hang onto pucks and make things happen himself. He’s got a knack for hitting holes in the net, frequently beating goalies low-blocker and five-hole. He’s got A-level hands, a deceptive release, a lethal one-timer and a slyness to his game that allows him to get to spots to score with and without the puck. He’s going to have clear power-play upside at the next level because of all of those things. He has slowly become more threatening on a consistent basis at five-on-five against men, coming and going less in games, fading to the perimeter in control less, and making sure he’s getting touches by keeping his feet moving more and working to involve himself in the play more. He just played with more intention off the puck and on the forecheck and found more consistency in his approach and consequently his game last season, preparing himself for the jump to North America.

Maybe most important of all, though, he added some more tempo to his game so that he doesn’t have to default to long shots through feet because he can’t attack defenders one-on-one quickly enough. He started to push the pace more. He started to draw more penalties because he was comfortable hanging onto pucks longer and taking some bumps. His skating and tight turns in particular got quicker. He played with a little more fight. He’s still figuring out how to be more consistent and how to make his talent work, and I expect he’ll have some growing pains in the AHL and NHL, but he’s got the skill to figure it out over here, too.

And with all of that progress, he got to crank the puck more and flash that quick release and skill. With the right development and patience, he always had clear upside as a top-six/PP1 finisher — you want the puck in his hands.

One of the better-skating D prospects in hockey, Willander was a beast for the Swedish under-18 team and Rogle’s junior team in his draft year and drove strong two-way results for the Terriers as a freshman and for the Swedish under-20 team last season. He’s a strong-in-all-three-zones defenseman who plays a confident and decisive defensive game that uses his beautiful, balanced skating to swallow up opposing carriers and then push forward or fall back onto his heels and outlet the puck.

He pulls away or retreats from pressure with ease, and excels on exits. His head is always up. He gets his shots through. And then, on top of the pro frame, the skating and the general athleticism, he also just plays the game with an intentionality that is rare in players his age. He looks and operates like a pro out there. His passes are quick and firm and he activates when he can.

Defensively, he’s aggressive on pinches and closing gaps, and rarely mistimes them, taking away the space so well in neutral ice. He made some mistakes that showed his youth at times as a freshman but it was by and large a successful season. Willander doesn’t have dynamic skill or creativity on the puck, and his offensive-zone instincts are still coming, but he projects safely as an NHL defenseman and could become a two-way transition monster in a top-four role. Because of how high a level he defends and skates at, he rarely has bad games and play normally tilts in his team’s favor, even though the offense doesn’t yet pop.

Reactions: petka and Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The Athletic's Scott Wheeler released his 100 drafted prospects list.

Lekkerimaki and Willander make the list at 32 and 45. If these seem familiar, Wheeler and Pronman recycle a lot of their work to pump these things out. I felt both of these write-ups were new, though.

It has been an up-and-down (or, more appropriately, a down-and-up) couple of seasons since the draft for Lekkerimaki, but last year was a serious upswing back to where he belongs on talent. After a disappointing post-draft season that included two lackluster performances at the world juniors (first in the summer tournament in Edmonton and then in Halifax) and a challenging regular season in HockeyAllsvenkan, Lekkerimaki really hit his stride in the HockeyAllsvenskan playoffs at the end of the 2022-23 season and that play spilled into last year with strong age-adjusted production in the SHL and a deserved world juniors MVP award. Some of that progression is likely some should-have-been-expected catchup given his late-July birthday. Some of it is good health, after his draft year was impacted by injuries and illness (including a bout with COVID-19). And some of it is natural talent taking over and some important work done on areas of his game that needed it.

Lekkerimaki’s talent is undeniable. He’s dynamic in control and threatening from anywhere in the offensive zone. He can beat you in an instant with a quick catch-and-release or curl-and-drag shot, or hang onto pucks and make things happen himself. He’s got a knack for hitting holes in the net, frequently beating goalies low-blocker and five-hole. He’s got A-level hands, a deceptive release, a lethal one-timer and a slyness to his game that allows him to get to spots to score with and without the puck. He’s going to have clear power-play upside at the next level because of all of those things. He has slowly become more threatening on a consistent basis at five-on-five against men, coming and going less in games, fading to the perimeter in control less, and making sure he’s getting touches by keeping his feet moving more and working to involve himself in the play more. He just played with more intention off the puck and on the forecheck and found more consistency in his approach and consequently his game last season, preparing himself for the jump to North America.

Maybe most important of all, though, he added some more tempo to his game so that he doesn’t have to default to long shots through feet because he can’t attack defenders one-on-one quickly enough. He started to push the pace more. He started to draw more penalties because he was comfortable hanging onto pucks longer and taking some bumps. His skating and tight turns in particular got quicker. He played with a little more fight. He’s still figuring out how to be more consistent and how to make his talent work, and I expect he’ll have some growing pains in the AHL and NHL, but he’s got the skill to figure it out over here, too.

And with all of that progress, he got to crank the puck more and flash that quick release and skill. With the right development and patience, he always had clear upside as a top-six/PP1 finisher — you want the puck in his hands.

One of the better-skating D prospects in hockey, Willander was a beast for the Swedish under-18 team and Rogle’s junior team in his draft year and drove strong two-way results for the Terriers as a freshman and for the Swedish under-20 team last season. He’s a strong-in-all-three-zones defenseman who plays a confident and decisive defensive game that uses his beautiful, balanced skating to swallow up opposing carriers and then push forward or fall back onto his heels and outlet the puck.

He pulls away or retreats from pressure with ease, and excels on exits. His head is always up. He gets his shots through. And then, on top of the pro frame, the skating and the general athleticism, he also just plays the game with an intentionality that is rare in players his age. He looks and operates like a pro out there. His passes are quick and firm and he activates when he can.

Defensively, he’s aggressive on pinches and closing gaps, and rarely mistimes them, taking away the space so well in neutral ice. He made some mistakes that showed his youth at times as a freshman but it was by and large a successful season. Willander doesn’t have dynamic skill or creativity on the puck, and his offensive-zone instincts are still coming, but he projects safely as an NHL defenseman and could become a two-way transition monster in a top-four role. Because of how high a level he defends and skates at, he rarely has bad games and play normally tilts in his team’s favor, even though the offense doesn’t yet pop.
Feels like writers like to overrate the crap out of the latest draft..

Reactions: Chiripa20

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man, I hope they make the final line-up, just so we'll have that to talk about (along with Willander and Fernstrom).

Nice to see them even get an invite. Canada is usually loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks, but would sure be something to see a couple of Canucks' prospects on Team Canada.

Trying to remember the last one we had...was it Jonah Gadjovich in 2018?

I remember in the late 90s/early 00s we had a few super late picks that ended up suiting up for Canada. Jason King and Brandon Reid, IIRC.

Reactions: Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Nice to see them even get an invite. Canada is usually loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks, but would sure be something to see a couple of Canucks' prospects on Team Canada.

Trying to remember the last one we had...was it Jonah Gadjovich in 2018?

I remember in the late 90s/early 00s we had a few super late picks that ended up suiting up for Canada. Jason King and Brandon Reid, IIRC.
our prospects getting invites? what is this?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canucks Army is currently ranking the prospects, posting a write-up on one prospect a day.

Their criteria: under 25, fewer than 25 NHL games played.

So far:

Honourable mentions: Forsell, Nielsen, Dorrington, Gardner, Alcos, Karlsson

20: Tolopilo
19: woo
18: Koskenvuo
17: Mueller
16: Klimovich

I am just the messenger ...

Reactions: wetcoast

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Canucks Army is currently ranking the prospects, posting a write-up on one prospect a day.

Their criteria: under 25, fewer than 25 NHL games played.

So far:

Honourable mentions: Forsell, Nielsen, Dorrington, Gardner, Alcos, Karlsson

20: Tolopilo
19: woo
18: Koskenvuo
17: Mueller
16: Klimovich

I am just the messenger ...

Yeah, I was going to wait for them to be done then make a post with the full list and link to every article. I trust Dave Hall's prospect assessment even if I probably don't agree on the final rankings.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, I was going to wait for them to be done then make a post with the full list and link to every article. I trust Dave Hall's prospect assessment even if I probably don't agree on the final rankings.
I thought about the same (though I was too lazy to provide links), and then decided to post after the first five. Sorry to jump the gun!

• Haha
Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

“I need to keep working on certain skills so that I can go up another level,” said Kudryavtsev. “I'm hoping to be in the AHL next season. I will need to gain a bit more weight and be more of a man and just keep working on my strengths and the things I do well but be ready to do them at a higher level. I’m working really hard on everything this summer.”

“The biggest goal is just to make the AHL, well, the biggest goal is making the NHL, that’s the goal for everybody but you never know what is going to happen. I’m trying not to look ahead and say, ‘I want to be partnered with Quinn Hughes next season.’ Obviously, that would be pretty cool, but I am just focused on taking little steps and [achieving] my goals step-by-step.”

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not sure how you can put Woo lower than Klimovich at this point. I wouldn’t have Klimovich in the top 20 at all.

Age was a big factor. Players that are older have a lot less runway to improve and their ceiling is much more limited. Woo's upside is now seen as a 7th defenceman while there's some belief that with a new coach he can jump start and become a middle-six winger.

Personally, I don't have Klimovich in the top-20 but the Canucks prospect list is fairly barren anyway.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Now I'm reminiscing about the summer prospect ranking polls that we used to have. Wish I wasn't too much of a coward to start those up again.

Reactions: Lindgren

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently Jacob Truscott is returning to Michigan for a 5th season. I have no idea if the Canucks are retaining his rights.
Jackson Kunz showed up at the prospects camp and he was drafted back in 2020 and it's been 4 years now. He did another year in the USHL after he was drafted, so he's going back for his SR year at UND. I believe that the rule is 4 years or graduation of your draft (HS I believe).

So, the canucks should not retain rights for either player.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think he becomes a UFA August 16th.

I asked Dave Hall and Thomas Drance and they agree. No one is 100% certain because the extra COVID year muddies things up a bit but the belief is that they have his rights for 4 years and not when he finishes college.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I asked Dave Hall and Thomas Drance and they agree. No one is 100% certain because the extra COVID year muddies things up a bit but the belief is that they have his rights for 4 years and not when he finishes college.
NHL rights vary based on where you were drafted out of. that the highly regarded Russian Dman Nishiskin that Carolina drafted back in 2020 they still have his rights even though it’s been 4 years as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a sad and inevitable fact that all the later round draft picks of the Benning years, either age out as prospects or don't get signed to begin with.

So at the very least and on a positive note, we seem to be doing a lot better now in finding decent prospects in rounds 4-7.

Reactions: Chiripa20

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's a sad and inevitable fact that all the later round draft picks of the Benning years, either age out as prospects or don't get signed to begin with.

So at the very least and on a positive note, we seem to be doing a lot better now in finding decent prospects in rounds 4-7.

Huh? They signed plenty of Benning's late rounders.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
IMG_0687.png

I want that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad