Pre-Game Talk: The 2021/2022 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Poor asset management should be called out more by local sports media but my bet is you won't hear Green or Benning confronted on it at all.
Not a shock to me that Gadjovich got claimed by somebody. A 22-year old winger who put up a goal a game pace in the AHL last year. Even in a watered-down league, what would be bound to get somebody's attention.

Good luck in San Jose Jonah.....obviously he'll be staying awhile on the Sharks roster and I hope he comes back and sticks it to the Canucks. Just terrible asset-management for team already lacking in physical, power forward types.

If they'd sent Zack MacEwen down instead of Gadjovich, there's no way they'd have lost him on waivers. Next up is Juloevi. If he goes on waivers he'll end up being claimed for sure.

This team has made the playoffs once in seven seasons, and that was in the COVID bubble year. Yet they continue to bleed young assets via the waiver wire.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
He doesn't have to "haunt" us like Cam Neely to be a stupifying waste. He will be a very solid cost controlled young bottom 6er with all of the features we need on those lines with an upward trajectory in every category. He was an asset that we drafted and developed for years under the pretense that he would step in and help the team like he was about to this season. Why just literally hand him to another team for free??

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
reminds me of when san jose grabbed ronnie stern.

i mean maybe san jose is reaching, but if gadjovic shows he can play in the nhl then either green is an idiot for burying him or benning is an idiot for trying to sandbag the league. absolutely no excuses for this if he is a player. he was not given any opportunity or chance to make the team.

Reactions: Indiana and geebaan

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He doesn't have to "haunt" us like Cam Neely to be a stupifying waste. He will be a very solid cost controlled young bottom 6er with all of the features we need on those lines with an upward trajectory in every category. He was an asset that we drafted and developed for years under the pretense that he would step in and help the team like he was about to this season. Why just literally hand him to another team for free??

The same reason why this franchise, in the past 7 years have had horrendous asset management. Rash decisions, tunnel vision and impatience, or the inability to recognized a flawed player and capitalize off the perceived value around the league.

We have irrational owners, stupid management and dreadful coaching staff.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm hoping that someone asks Green what Gadjovich needed to do to make the team. I'm guessing the probability of this is quite low.

Reactions: Indiana

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
I'm probably sounding extra hard on Petan but Green has gifted play time, opportunity, and patience to him and Chiasson. And they have shown me very little to deserve it.

Maybe with an extreme amount of luck all of us upset fans can be proven wrong when Petan makes the final roster and becomes the ultimate Swiss Army knife for Green throughout the season?

Chances are he doesn't even make the team or he does and we end up an even easier team to play against. My biased opinion predicts there is a limit to how many sub 5'10 and/or soft players a team can have before hitting a wall...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess you can't blame the coach for keeping Petan and Chiasson around instead of 22-year old rookie like Gadjovich.

At this stage of their careers, both guys are completely stamped as journeyman pros. But at least they have some experience.

Let's face it, despite signing a new two-year agreement, Green is still a coach on the hot-seat. If the Canucks were to falter in early going, I wouldn't like his survival chances, particularly with a guy like Brad Shaw in the wings.

Green is going to defer to his veterans every time. But let's be totally objective here. If either Petan or Chiasson (assuming he gets signed) ever end up on waivers, they'll clear for certain.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m not even upset. This stuff is too predictable to even be able to be upset about.

chiasson and Petan were basically a lock to make the team before the first game was played

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The guys they decide ahead of time are making the team (Chiasson, Petan) get to play 18 minutes/night every night next to top-9 regular NHLers.

The guys they decide are in Abbotsford play 9 minutes/night with prospects and scrubs.

Guess who ends up being more noticeable and validating their earlier decision?

Reactions: thefeebster

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The guys they decide ahead of time are making the team (Chiasson, Petan) get to play 18 minutes/night every night next to top-9 regular NHLers.

The guys they decide are in Abbotsford play 9 minutes/night with prospects and scrubs.

Guess who ends up being more noticeable and validating their earlier decision?

I would argue despite that Gadj showed more and better. If he sticks as an NHL player or not who knows, but from what we saw at camp he should be here over many others.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of all the players who hit waivers on Wednesday, Gadjovich was the only guy to be claimed. You spend four years developing a player, and when he's on the cusp of making it, he's lost on the waiver wire.

Not much doubt in my mind that if he'd cleared and gone to Abbotsford, he'd have been a callup for sure when the inevitable injuries hit

But I guess it's a big payday for Gadjovich, particularly if the Sharks keep him on the big league roster. His NHL salary is $832,000 and his salary in the minors would have been $70,000. So hard not to feel good for the kid.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Of all the players that were subjected to waivers, it was obvious that Gadjovich had the highest probability of being picked up by another team so what does the Green and Benning decide to do? Of course to err on the side of stupidity. The most irksome part is just how unnecessary it was to lose a home grown prospect for nothing

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Of all the players who hit waivers on Wednesday, Gadjovich was the only guy to be claimed. You spend four years developing a player, and when he's on the cusp of making it, he's lost on the waiver wire.

Not much doubt in my mind that if he'd cleared and gone to Abbotsford, he'd have been a callup for sure when the inevitable injuries hit

But I guess it's a big payday for Gadjovich, particularly if the Sharks keep him on the big league roster. His NHL salary is $832,000 and his salary in the minors would have been $70,000. So hard not to feel good for the kid.
Him being the only one and also apperently having multiple claims on just him is kinda humorous.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Of all the players that were subjected to waivers, Gadjovich had the highest probability of being picked up by another team so what does the Green and Benning decide to do? Of course to err on the side of stupidity. The most irksome part is just how unnecessary it was to lose a home grown prospect for nothing

what else are you going to do? Play him in another preseason game? And let Sheldon … Dries sit out? Man I’ve been waiting to see Sheldon …… Uhhh *checks notes* … Dries …. play for the Canucks for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad