The 2019 off-season thread: There's money to spend and Joey Crabb's retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't want any of them for more than 1M each.

You think we will fill bottom 6 internally then? Who would you put as 4C? Lammikko?

I would be shocked if we can actually LTIR luongo. He played all the way to the end of the season and all this talk between him and Tallon about thinking what to do next season... It would be way too blatant that they are trying to circumvent the cap.

People talk about hossa, but he had a real serious issue for several years that required nasty medications to deal with during his last year. I don't think it's comparable to Lu.

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out. That'd be the ideal situation though.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Luongo has a real degenerative disease in his hip, I am not concerned about LTIR IF that is what they decide on, they shouldnt force Louie out if he wants to hang on.

Means too much for the organization.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
You think we will fill bottom 6 internally then? Who would you put as 4C? Lammikko?
Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Panarin-Trocheck-Hoffman/Hunt/Tippett
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Hoffman/Hunt/Tippett
Hawryluk-Lammikko-Sceviour

Lammikko is really good at what he needs to do: Lammikko FLA 1819 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)
Sheahan is the only one that would help the team win some games, but he's not rerallythat much better than Lammikko.

None of McGinn, Brouwer and Sceviour should be on the third line. There are players with better offensive and defensive potential to play there.
And they can't all play on the fourth. Sceviour is the best of the bunch and he's already under contract. So that's good. Then there's one spot left, and Hawryluk is just as good as either of them. So I don't really care who's there as long as it's not McGinn and the player is cheap.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For sure, and maybe the league looks the other way so canucks don't get totally screwed. I'm just expecting lu too be back as a back up next year. He played well when rested and looks like someone who wants to have one more go.

It'd just be the best of both worlds if Monty can get a good 10 games early on (still unsure of his AHL slide ability). The obvious argument can be made Luongo is clearly more experienced than Monty but it's crucial to get this kid more games. He needs to be ready 100% next year as backup. With the team getting at least two upgrades of Bob/goalie + top 6 forward/top 4 D, they should be better all around along with the insertion of Q's lead. It also keeps Lu around the team and getting used to his next role as goaltender coach?

I don't doubt his skills when rested but his lateral movement is still noticeably lacking, maybe it's better with more rest. We both know Lu won't like to go out on LTIR to end his career, so expect him back at some point, question is when, October or late February. He needs a certain amount of games played to get his name on the Cup too no? To be on the active roster as well, plus he is probably chasing 500 wins, whether he says it or not.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Panarin-Trocheck-Hoffman/Hunt/Tippett
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Hoffman/Hunt/Tippett
Hawryluk-Lammikko-Sceviour

Lammikko is really good at what he needs to do: Lammikko FLA 1819 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)
Sheahan is the only one that would help the team win some games, but he's not rerallythat much better than Lammikko.

None of McGinn, Brouwer and Sceviour should be on the third line. There are players with better offensive and defensive potential to play there.
And they can't all play on the fourth. Sceviour is the best of the bunch and he's already under contract. So that's good. Then there's one spot left, and Hawryluk is just as good as either of them. So I don't really care who's there as long as it's not McGinn and the player is cheap.

Not bad at all, I do like Hunt and think his offense could climb with better linemates. He'd bring more physical play with Vatrano and work the dirty areas, get the puck to HB so he can paint those two some assists.

Lammikko needs to work on faceoffs but hopefully his half season got him motivated to come back better.
Sheahan had a 54.9% in FLA and has had great numbers in the dot the last 3-4 years.

May be forced to go cheap in the bottom 6. It lacks a lot of experience but hopefully insulated by addition of other upgrades. They just need to keep it simple and listen to Q.

Nitpicking but I'd put Hoffman up top with the 90pt club (partially to increase his value if we do trade him at deadline) and pair Tro with AP and ED as they're both decent defensively but a lot will depend on chemistry etc.

Tippett should wet his beak down in SPR, think pro hockey will be a bit of a shock for him. He needs to continue to work on his skating and conditioning imo but camp can determine that better.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Did some snooping on capfriendly,

Games before waivers required:

Borgstrom: 106
Malgin: 12
Keeper: 69
McCoshen: 20

Hawryluk: 118
Hunt:38
Lammikko: 120 (key reason I think Sheahan is brought back, maybe Sceviour plays 4C, he has played there before)
Greco: 59

Monty: 69

Only one that isn't clear is MacDonald's: it doesn't give a number of games left and just says "estimated waivers required beginning 2020-21"

McCoshen and Malgin are in no man's land imo. May be attached to Reimer and a pick.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think Tallon goes after Tyler Myers for the back end.

Big body that is physical, can really move for his size and provides a some offense. I think he's exactly what the team needs in that #4 dman spot.

Also, we need to upgrade the 3rd line and PK crew. We had a decent group last year but I'd love for Sasha to play less there and have specialty guys doing it. I could see Hawryluk actually slotting into one of those spots very well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I think Tallon goes after Tyler Myers for the back end.

Big body that is physical, can really move for his size and provides a some offense. I think he's exactly what the team needs in that #4 dman spot.

Also, we need to upgrade the 3rd line and PK crew. We had a decent group last year but I'd love for Sasha to play less there and have specialty guys doing it. I could see Hawryluk actually slotting into one of those spots very well.

errrr.... Myers is butter soft. And he's not that good defensively, not bad but more of the offensive type.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Lammikko needs to work on faceoffs but hopefully his half season got him motivated to come back better.
Sheahan had a 54.9% in FLA and has had great numbers in the dot the last 3-4 years.

Problem with Lammikko is that he's a black hole offensively. Sheahan can put up 10 goals and 30 points and depth scoring is really important especially in the playoffs.

And as production always goes down in the post season, I'd expect zero from Lammikko.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Problem with Lammikko is that he's a black hole offensively. Sheahan can put up 10 goals and 30 points and depth scoring is really important especially in the playoffs.

And as production always goes down in the post season, I'd expect zero from Lammikko.

Ya Lammikko still has a while before he needs to clear waivers which makes me believe he will replace one of the older vets in SPR, still very raw imo.

Sheahan is more proven and was very noticeable whenever he was on the ice. Depends on what he's asking but dont see him getting anything longer than a 2-3yr deal. 3years would lower the AAV but 2yrs would be ideal, gives Lammer some time to develop further.

Hunt - Sheahan - Brow/Sceviour

Is a good enough 4th line and Brouwer can rest up so the other two can get their games in. Were gonna have to be frugle AF so this will be a key discussion throughout the offseason.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ya Lammikko still has a while before he needs to clear waivers which makes me believe he will replace one of the older vets in SPR, still very raw imo.

Sheahan is more proven and was very noticeable whenever he was on the ice. Depends on what he's asking but dont see him getting anything longer than a 2-3yr deal. 3years would lower the AAV but 2yrs would be ideal, gives Lammer some time to develop further.

Hunt - Sheahan - Brow/Sceviour

Is a good enough 4th line and Brouwer can rest up so the other two can get their games in. Were gonna have to be frugle AF so this will be a key discussion throughout the offseason.

Two years for Sheahan is optimal. If he takes Sceviour money I'd give him three, he's not old by any means and looked like a really good 4C.

Hunt and Brower on the wings, I could see them being good in the playoffs. All of them play heavy and that's what this team doesn't have a lot.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
errrr.... Myers is butter soft. And he's not that good defensively, not bad but more of the offensive type.
Yah you're right his is soft but I still think the team needs a big body/stay at home guy.

Myers doesn't really fit that bill but I guess I've always kind of liked him.

Not a great defensive group out there in free agency. Most likely going to have to upgrade through trade if we want something significant.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Two years for Sheahan is optimal. If he takes Sceviour money I'd give him three, he's not old by any means and looked like a really good 4C.
3 years would be too long. Sheahan looked absolutely dreadful this season in Pittsburgh. You don't want to be stuck with a 4th liner for years if they start playing awful.

Reactions: Beezeral

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yah you're right his is soft but I still think the team needs a big body/stay at home guy.

Not a great defensive group out there in free agency. Most likely going to have to upgrade through trade if we want something significant.

With a weaker UFA defensemen market, Myers may be too pricey for us, Tallon hinted at a $5million cap hit for the veteran top 4 D he wants to bring in.

Think the giant will be looking for a 6yr deal in the $6-7 million range as he has some leverage. Something similar to what Gardiner may get.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Don't mind Myers either but I don't see him or someone like Gardiner coming here. I think Tallon would've kept Demers if he wanted something in similar mold.

Someone like Martinez from LA fits imo. Veteran D who's won a SC, has a four million dollar cap hit and signed for two more years so doesn't take up a protection slot for the expansion draft.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't mind Myers either but I don't see him or someone like Gardiner coming here. I think Tallon would've kept Demers if he wanted something in similar mold.

Someone like Martinez from LA fits imo. Veteran D who's won a SC, has a four million dollar cap hit and signed for two more years so doesn't take up a protection slot for the expansion draft.

Another guy I dont think anyone has thought of is Niskanen from WSH. He has 2 years left on his deal at $5.75 million but does have a modified NTC.

Puts up decent offense, plays alot in the D zone and can hit and block shots. May be a good partner for Yandle or Matheson.

WSH needs to pay some RFAs and have signed Jensen to a long term deal who may replace him behind Carlson (#1RD) and also have their young RD prospect in Siegenthaler.

Add him to the list as well, wouldn't cost as much as Trouba/Manson but probably has similar value to Savard (CBJ), Brodin/Spurgeon (MIN), etc

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Another guy I dont think anyone has thought of is Niskanen from WSH. He has 2 years left on his deal at $5.75 million but does have a modified NTC.

Puts up decent offense, plays alot in the D zone and can hit and block shots. May be a good partner for Yandle or Matheson.

WSH needs to pay some RFAs and have signed Jensen to a long term deal who may replace him behind Carlson (#1RD) and also have their young RD prospect in Siegenthaler.

Add him to the list as well, wouldn't cost as much as Trouba/Manson but probably has similar value to Savard (CBJ), Brodin/Spurgeon (MIN), etc

Oh yeah I've always like niskanen. Would be interested if he's available and I like that he would only have 2 years left. But would be need to be protected for the expansion draft? That would suck.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If sheehan wants $2M again, I don't think we can afford him as our 4C, if we plan on adding the trifecta - panarin, bob, and top-4 dman. Maybe if we get rid of pysyk.

Assuming we get the trifecta, we're going to have to be really stingy on our bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair d.

Reactions: Ghoste

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Oh yeah I've always like niskanen. Would be interested if he's available and I like that he would only have 2 years left. But would be need to be protected for the expansion draft? That would suck.

Here's an article with some good info
Click here

From what I read, the draft will be at the end of the 2020-2021 year so any players with two years left going into next year will not need to be protected.

That's why guys like Savard, Niskanen etc are good because we wouldn't need to protect them and doubt Yandle would want to leave/waive just as we're about to contend, he will have 2 years left on his deal so we will need to protect him or pay a 1st to keep the band together.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Yeah I thought about Niskanen too but I don't see why Washington would wanna move him. Same goes with Savard. They're still very much in SC mode and want to win now whereas LA is at the bottom and would probably want to move on from Martinez for picks/prospects. Also the cost wouldn't be that high.

Reactions: klabob

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I thought about Niskanen too but I don't see why Washington would wanna move him. Same goes with Savard. They're still very much in SC mode and want to win now whereas LA is at the bottom and would probably want to move on from Martinez for picks/prospects. Also the cost wouldn't be that high.

Cap issues is the main reason but ya I'm catching your drift.

Feel some LA fans have soured on Martinez (although the whole team was baby shit this year) but the cost may be too good to pass up.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Cap issues is the main reason but ya I'm catching your drift.

Feel some LA fans have soured on Martinez (although the whole team was baby **** this year) but the cost may be too good to pass up.

Yes I agree. Also the penalty is fairly manageable if things go sideways for some reason with him (which I highly doubt). I'd expect Mitchell to give a nice pep talk and a change of scenery and coming to a young team should entice a veteran like him considering LA's window has pretty much closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad