GDT: The 2019 NHL Entry Draft | Day 1 | TOR holds 53, 84, 115, 124, 146, 204 & 208

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
No this is horrible. The league needs to make some changes to allow flexibility for more trades to happen.
Something like being able to go above the cap by 15% for the first 20 games of the season.
Players drafted and developed by the team should have their full salaries count as a percentage of what would be their normal cap hit, say 75%

Example, Matthews is signed for 5 years at 11.6 but because he was drafted by the Leafs his cap hit is 11.6m x 0.75 = 8.7m

In terms of real money his salary is high but for the hometown "drafting and developing" team they can more easily keep the guys they've spent years developing.

I'm sure there would be ramifications to that and loopholes to iron out (Kappy wasn't drafted by us for instance, but we developed him), but it would give teams the chance to improve internally and free agents wouldn't necessarily be as highly sought after since their deals would be a 100% cap hit

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Players drafted and developed by the team should have their full salaries count as a percentage of what would be their normal cap hit, say 75%

Example, Matthews is signed for 5 years at 11.6 but because he was drafted by the Leafs his cap hit is 11.6m x 0.75 = 8.7m

In terms of real money his salary is high but for the hometown "drafting and developing" team they can more easily keep the guys they've spent years developing.

I'm sure there would be ramifications to that and loopholes to iron out (Kappy wasn't drafted by us for instance, but we developed him), but it would give teams the chance to improve internally and free agents wouldn't necessarily be as highly sought after since their deals would be a 100% cap hit

Make it the team that took away your rookie virginity.

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm still waiting for Suzuki to be taken. He should go to some team soon. He's the best center available now IMO. Could be Calgary. I don't know their needs though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kaliyev and Pelletier > McMichael.

My full on amateur opinion.

Nope. Not even close. Pelletier fell off near the end too. Could be a decent option for Anaheim though. I think he would fit well in there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nope. Not even close. Pelletier fell off near the end too. Could be a decent option for Anaheim though. I think he would fit well in there.

I'm 100% right though...

Probably.

Pelletier and Kaliyev were by far better each and every time I've seen them play live compared to McMichael.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm 100% right though...

Probably.

Pelletier and Kaliyev were by far better each and every time I've seen them play live compared to McMichael.

Pelletier went now. I guess that made sense too.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

Yeah that could work.
Or how about a team can trade cap space for draft picks(only) at a predetermined value. So team X who is a contender can trade their 3rd round pick to rebuilding team Y for $3 million in additional cap space. Allowing team X to make an additional trade to improve their roster.

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
At this point I need to do more research on team needs.

Tampa Bay... Man I'm not even going to bother. Their scouting is a different breed.

Bobby Brink seems like that type of guy they would have their finger on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad